CT Scan Tips and Advice? - Page 2 - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

CT Scan Tips and Advice?

CT scan IBS-C constipation hospital preparation

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Maegwin

Maegwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

Thank you for all of the useful information Annie. I've heard of colon removal surgeries and thought they resulted in needing a bag. Thank you for easing my fears about that.

I know worrying doesn't help me. I just get so upset by every answer I "don't" find through these medical procedures, diets, and pills that my mind starts creating worst case scenarios. :P

I have not had my pelvic floor tested but going by what your describing it may not be an issue for me. Once my waste moves to the lower parts of my large intestine I have no problem getting it out. Everything gets stuck in the tranverse and upper descending colon.

I'm trying to be patient while getting these tests. Unfortunately here in Canada each test can take up to 1 or 3 months to get due to long wait lists. Waiting is the hardest part for me. It just means more starving and more pain.

Again, thank you for all of the information. I really hope you get good news. Take care Annie.

#22 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11966 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

thanks, Maegwin.

i too seem to get everything stuck in the transverse and descending  colon--especially in the splenic flexure area--that bend between the transverse and descending colon. and i've mentioned this to both gastros, their PA's and my surgeons. everyone agrees that yes, this happens and yes, some people do seem to have trouble with the area but no one has been able to give me any specific  information on dealing with it other than just keep taking laxatives etc. that's why i just wish the surgeon had taken that part out--lol..

and i do understand what you mean about the frustration and discouragement from not finding answers and all the waiting and waiting and waiting...and all the while still being in pain and discomfort..it's very hard. i do hope things get better for you and i do hope your docs will start finding answers for you and a treatment plan that works well for you and brings relief.

please do take good care of yourself.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#23 Maegwin

Maegwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

FML. I just found out that the standard wait time for a CT scan is 8-10 weeks and my Gastro still hasn't submitted my requisition after two weeks. :(

#24 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11966 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

oh how frustrating. really, you'd think with that kind of wait time he/she would have submitted that requisition right away.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#25 Maegwin

Maegwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

Ha! I got on their case and they gave me an appointment date that someone else had cancelled for. I'm starting the test on the 17th!

I read on the net that I should stop all laxatives a week before the test but the nurse I talked to said to stop them the day before the test. Thoughts? What did you do?

#26 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11966 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

good for you!  glad you could start it sooner.

my gastro's office told me to stop all laxatives the day before.  but yes, i've also seen the instructions about stopping a week before. that's the safest thing to do, i would guess, if you want to make absolutely sure all laxatives have left your body and i imagine of course that sort of thing would depend on just what laxatives you're taking, possibly also your metabolism, how much food you are eating etc. -just a guess..

personally i never would even have made it to the actual test--the swallowing of the pill--had they made me stop all laxatives a week before--lol.  i stopped taking laxatives a day before, had a small bm the next day, swallowed the sitz pill a few hours later and had no more bm's after that. on day 4 (still no bm's) i started retaining urine--could no longer pee. by that evening my belly was swollen, quite hard and very painful. i went to the ER where the nurse pumped a liter and a half of urine out of me. i was so backed up with impacted stool that it was preventing me from urinating. the ER doc told me to go home and immediately abort the test and do a clean out. she said i wouldn't be able to pee again til that was done. and she was right. before i left the hospital they did  my sitz x-ray--i didn't get CT scan--just an x-ray--SOP for this test the way they do it here. so i only lasted 4 and half days.

i called the gastro's office the next day to tell him what had happened plus i  had an appointment with my primary doc who e-mailed him a copy of the ER visit report to prove what had happened. ever since that test he and my other gastro--and now the surgeon--have all told me to "take what i need to go".

it can be a difficult test but it's a great test to have done.  wishing you all the best.  keep us posted if you get a chance.  take care...

#27 Maegwin

Maegwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

Wow Annie. You've really had a rough go of it. Has it always been like this for you or has it just gotten this bad as you've gotten older? I think you said you are 61 now?

I'm stopping my laxatives three days out from the test. I tried stopping sooner but my bowels started hurting right away and I couldn't handle the idea of going through two weeks of that pain. Especially if I have a high likelihood of passing this test despite my issues. My stools tend to get hard and compacted on the outside but form a narrow tube for watery stuff to pass through in the centre. Even though I'm quite constipated I still have diarreoah or pencil thin BMs. I think the markers will pass through cause they're tiny.

I've never been so constipated I couldn't pee. That sounds awful. Right now I'm quite constipated and feeling really tired and like I've been poisoned. It's been a few days since I've had a substantial BM even with the laxatives. I've been trying to eat more normally though in preparation for the test. The larger portions of food are getting backed up. I think I'll have to fast today or risk throwing up.

I sure hope this test is worth it.

#28 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11966 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

HI Maegwin

i've had chronic constipation problems since the age of 10 and it's become worse over the years...especially during and after perimenopause.

oh good luck with this test!  it truly is miserable, having to go without laxatives and a bm for so long but it's worth it once it's over and yes i do hope and pray it'll be worth it for you and that your doctors will start taking you seriously.

stay strong!  you can do it!!  and be kind to yourself during all this--pamper yourself if you can--take it easy, no additional stress.  i used my heating pad a lot and watched movies and read books, listened to music, went for short walks outside etc. anything to keep my mind off the pain and discomfort.  

and keep yourself focused on the light at the end of the tunnel--the big clean out smile.png  and then the terrific feeling of having it ALL behind you!  over with!!  that was the best.

take care--good luck!

• Maegwin likes this

#29 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11966 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

just want to add--take care to stay hydrated, too, to keep the stool from drying out and getting impacted.  i tried to stick with my regular diet but after a couple days i just couldn't. so i ate soft "squishy" foods--soups, eggs, yogurt, applesauce, canned chicken worked for me, etc...drank milk and juices and also drank boost with extra protein. ice cream would be good toosmile.png  you can make smoothies or if you have a juicer, juices--green juices are very helpful.

i know you don't feel like eating--i didn't either. i rarely do. lost my appetite when i was a kid and all this constipation started. but it's important to try to keep your nutrition up--both now, during your test,  and always.  nutritional deficiencies and poor eating can really damage your body especially over the long term--can lead  to early  osteoporosis (which i have-not fun) and other problems--hair loss, dry skin, immune problems, heart damage etc..  we really have to learn to keep our nutrition up any way we can. it's so important.

please do try to take good care of yourself.

smile.png

#30 Maegwin

Maegwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

Thank you for alll of the advice Annie.

I've been treating myself to some foods I usually avoid. If I'm going to be constipated I might as well make it worth it. I am staying hydrated as best I can. It's hard to chug liquids when I already feel like I'm going to burst.

The first two days I tucked away three square meals each day. Something I never do. It was nice to eat heartily for once but now, without a bm, I'm back to eating smaller portions.

I had my first scan this morning. My gut was really painful. The nurse started the scan low down on my torso but then had to move it up twice. Apparently the beads hadn't moved that far down yet. Interesting to know.

I am definitely looking forward to the clean out. I can't wait to feel light again. Right now I feel like I've poured cement into my bowels. :P

I work from home so I'm keeping myself distracted. I do have a big comfy rocking chair and heating pad to sit in/with as well. I love my heating blanket. :)

#31 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11966 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:39 AM

oh yes you are so right about treating yourself --if you're going to suffer anyway, make it worthwhile!  smile.png

so sorry about the painful gut. yes it does get so painful doesn't it--wretched...miserable...

and yes, sounds like the markers haven't moved much at all.

i love my heating pad...

despite all the pain and discomfort it sounds like you're handling this well--good for you! strong woman!  you've got the tiger by the tail!

stay strong!  and keep counting down those days, hours, minutes til the cleanout--and the big relief that you've done it and it's OVER!!!!biggrin.png

#32 Maegwin

Maegwin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

I had to stop the test on day three. It was getting too painful and I barely made it into the hospital for my second scan.

I went off my laxatives two nights before I started the test. In five days of no laxatives I only had two small pencil thin BMs that provided no relief.

I gained 15lbs from when I went off of my laxatives. A study says that the average person eats 4.7lbs of food per day. I had to go down to smaller and smaller portions spaced out through the day. Towards the end I mostly had soup. I'm sure that I gained 3-4lbs in actual fat since I was eating more food than I normally do.

I took my laxatives and in less than 24 hours I lost five pounds but was still badly constipated. My gut feels likes it's been trampled by horses. My whole pelvic area is one big ache.

After each BM I had to sleep for several hours. I'm still really tired. I just want to sleep until I'm completely cleaned out.

NEVER AGAIN. I'm not as strong as you Annie. My experience wasn't nearly as bad as yours but I couldn't take it anymore.

#33 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11966 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:47 AM

oh Maegwin--my heart goes out to you--truly it does! it's truly a wretched miserable test isn't it for those of us who are laxative dependent.  so many of these gastro tests are so invasive but the sitz marker IMHO is truly the worst.

and i've always thought that the very fact that someone tries to do it and gets so backed up and ill that they can't finish it should count for something--that sure is colonic inertia alright!  and you did get two  x-ray scans--especially that first one that showed the markers hadn't moved much. so i would hope your doc has  the proof he needs.

and you are very very strong--living for your whole life with chronic constipation, struggling every day.  i honestly don't think i'm as much strong as just plain pig-headed.unsure.png

"never again" is what i say, too.  my one gastro is affiliated with a different hospital system and he and his nurses keep saying he wants me to take another sitz marker because he wants his own test and they think mine wasn't  "done correctly" whatever that means  but NO WAY. i've brought him a written copy of my test, the CD of the x-rays and a copy of the ER report--all of these which their office keeps losing. the only way i'd ever even consider doing this again is if i need more surgery and the surgeon insists on it. otherwise NO!!!!!!!!!  no no no no no no no no no no no

i do hope you feel better today.  and that the pain isn't as bad.  and i do hope you get all the rest you need.  you've suffered through way too much. please do take extra good care of yourself--pamper yourself, rest a lot, be kind to yourself.  i hope you feel better soon...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CT scan, IBS-C, constipation, hospital, preparation

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here