So fed up-need advice! - Constipation Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

So fed up-need advice!

medicationconstipation relief help advice fed up support suggestions pain depressed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tracielikestopoop

tracielikestopoop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

Advertisement

Hi, I'm 26 female with IBS-C for 7 years now. I have tried many probiotics, vitamins, antidepressants, laxatives, anxiety meds, eating better, etc but have just recently heard there are actual medications that you can take for this problem. I'm so fed up with this last attack, I even went to the hospital and had a colonoscopy done and they gave me pain meds to manage the pain and I take lax-a-day but no doctor has ever suggested medication for IBS specifically.

I'm so depressed and spend most days on the couch in pain and have so much trouble having regular bowel movements. The only time I feel good enough to move around is when I take the pain meds (dilauted) but they only mask the problem and make the constipation worse. It's a vicious cycle!  Can anyone help and share their experiences with medication and if it actually works for regular bowel movements as well as pain relief.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9561 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

so sorry for all your problems. coping with chronic constipation and pain is so hard, isn't it.

have you tried prucalopride (resolor)? it's called restoran in canada. it's supposed to help promote bowel movements and i have read success stories about it. i wish it was approved for use here in the usa--i'd love to try it.

linzess (linaclotide) is available in the usa and also in europe and the uk--know over there as constella. this fairly new med is supposed to help with both constipation relief and pain relief. not sure if you can somehow get it in canada, though.  ask your doc.

good luck. hope you can find something to help.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 tracielikestopoop

tracielikestopoop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for responding. I will look into those meds. I started Dicetel which is a anti spasmatic today and am going to see how it works. Just wondering... do you take anti-depressants at all for your IBS?

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9561 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:02 AM

i do hope dicetel works for you. antispasmodics can be very good at relieving pain. i occasionally take librax when the pain gets unbearable and it works wonderfully. i try not to take it very often since it does have constipation as a side effect because, like most if not all antispasmodics, it works by relaxing the smooth muscle of the bowel. but it does help.  so glad i have it to fall back on.

i no longer have an ibs-c diagnosis. after several tests my dx switched from ibs-c to slow transit constipation and pelvic floor dysfunction. but quite a while ago my doc had me try some antidepressants in the hopes that they would help with the constipation and the pain.  i tried cymbalta and another one--forget which--but they didn't help much and the side effects made some of my other health problems worse--insomnia for example. and many years ago i was put on elavil and also paxil for insomnia but those two  made my constipation much worse. can't win--lol..

but i know AD's do help many people with constipation and pain. it's just a matter in finding which one is right for you. we're all so different in how our bodies react to medications.

and you're right--pain meds like opiods relieve pain but make constipation so much worse. relistor is a medication designed to treat the source of opioid-induced constipation. it's a shot you give yourself. not sure if it's available in canada. i do hear it works for people whose constipation is caused by opioids.

good luck with dicetel. i do hope you can get some relief.  take care..

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 Shade711

Shade711

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

A non-medicinal treatment you can look into is soluble fiber supplements. They work by absorbing water, and keeps your stools from becoming too dry and thus makes your stools more malleable, and easier to pass. With constipation though you have to start small and work up because too much soluble fiber at once can cause bloating(which I'm sure you already have and don't want to get worse). They make powders that you can add to any noncarbonated drink that have no taste, making it easier to take every day.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: medicationconstipation, relief, help, advice, fed up, support, suggestions, pain, depressed

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here