Food allergies and IBS - Gluten Research - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Food allergies and IBS - Gluten Research

food allergies IgG antibodies Gluten

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 betterthroughscience

betterthroughscience

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

Advertisement

It has been a long time since I last posted here.  I stopped mostly because of the intense hostility to acknowledging that IBS can be caused by a wide variety of medical conditions that can be discovered with the right testing, including celiac disease, food allergies, and gut microbial issues. 

This study : http://www.empr.com/non-celiac-wheat-sensitivity-may-be-an-allergy/article/320201/  reveals what we have known for some time - that some patients with IBS symptoms have them because they have an allergy (mediated by immunoglobulin Type G antibodies) to a food - in this case, gluten (a protein pair in wheat and closely related grains).

So next time your doctor, or some random person on a forum tells you that food allergies don't cause IBS remind them that just because they aren't familiar with the research does not mean that it doesn't exist.

There is lots of research in this area.  Some of it is collected for your convenience on the references page of the IBS Treatment Center (a medical clinic with locations in Seattle, WA and Santa Monica, CA) at http://ibstreatmentc.../ibs/references and on the research page of the public non-profit Food Allergy and Intolerance Foundation website at http://www.foodallergyinfo.org/5_c.htm.

#2 Reed

Reed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:54 PM

I'm actually HOPING my IBS is food allergies!  I've had IBS symptoms since I was a child but it got worse when I was pregnant.  Then after my second child, I learned that every single time I had chocolate, I had migraines from hell.  And when I had gluten I had IBS symptoms.  Then milk, eggs, corn...  Things became very restrictive. 

Finally, I was sick of it. I could eat only a few foods and they weren't even foods I really liked!  : (  My last straw was when I got IBS symptoms from rice.  I was like, "REALLY????"

So I went in for NAET.  It seems like complete hokum to be honest but I trust my doctor as she's hit home runs on a number of my health issues. 

Sure enough, I learned I had an intolerance, sensitivity or allergy to chocolate, lactose, gluten, corn, all grains, etc.  But beyond that, I learned that I have an issue with sulfur which is in just about everything.  I also had an allergy to minerals.  So, what was triggering me was - meats, grains, root vegetables and veggies with a high sulfur content.  In short, no WONDER!

I'm still not sure I "believe" in NAET but I will say that I've started having small amounts of the things that used to just flatten me and I'm doing okay.  It seems that, for me anyway, food allergies were part of the issue.

Truly, the symptoms of IBS match pretty closely the symptoms of allergies.  It's worth getting tested but I prefer kinesthesiology testing as opposed to the skin prick.  The kinesthetic testing looks at a number of different levels - emotional, memory, physical, etc.

#3 betterthroughscience

betterthroughscience

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

Reed,

If you want to know more about the actual usefulness of various food allergy tests there is a great comparison at http://www.ibstreatm...tters/Aug13.pdf

Some testing is just not worthwhile - at least by the standard of consistency.  For a test to be useful it needs to provide the same results when it tests the same thing.  For example, one of the methods of testing uses white blood cell size as a means of determining which foods the patient is allergic to.  Unfortunately studies (like this published one:  http://foodallergyin...MJ_MAR10_OR.pdf by Hodson and Zwickey in 2010) found that samples of the same patients blood, collected at the same time but sent under different names resulted in very different foods being reported as causing allergic reactions.  This is another way of saying that it is doesn't work. 

Getting tesitng that has been shown to be consistent is the bare minimum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food allergies, IgG antibodies, Gluten

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here