Subtotal Colectomy scheduled for Colonic Inertia - Page 3 - Your Story - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Subtotal Colectomy scheduled for Colonic Inertia

colonic inertia constipation diarrhea abdominal pain abdominal bloating rectal prolapse resection rectopexy subtotal colectomy

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#41 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11099 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

Hi Gina--

it's good that you have your appointment with your surgeon coming up so you can discuss with him all your issues and even better if you can contact him or his office whenever necessary with any questions or problems you have. i wouldn't wait for the appointment if you have concerns--let him or his office know right away.  that's what they are there for.

i had lots of utter exhaustion too.  gastro surgery takes a LOT of of a person.  it's a tremendous change to your body and your body needs lots and lots of rest and time to heal. as i learned, you can't rush it.  just rest, keep your nutrition up, have patience and let your body heal.

wishing you and Kymberly all the best. hope you both have a healthier happy new year--- and the same to everyone else on the board as well.  smile.png

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#42 ksl2017

ksl2017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

Gina

-I had all those symptoms too while I was in the hospital during my recovery.  Low blood pressure, electrolyte imbalances, low potassium (they were giving me pill supplements for that).  Once I was able to walk they discharged me after eight days in the hospital.  But basically once I have left, I haven't been able to get my nutrition back up because I have had issues trying to get my foods through the ileostomy.  And from learning more about what they diagnosed as slow transit constipation this might seem to be counter productive trying to get food to go through a small opening in my abdomen.  I have had the total abdominal colectomy and the ileorectal anastomosis surgery already and basically am just bypassing this right now with the temporary ileostomy. I am going to the hospital tomorrow because my output had basically been none today and after calling the nurses they think I may have an obstruction and told me just to drink liquids and go to the ER when possible. (I live in Wisconsin and it is extremely cold out so my mom wanted to wait to bring me until the morning).  Its odd though because I just feel distended in my belly, but not like i'm going to throw up.  I've drank about 80 oz today and all I did was urinate a little bit, but nothing out the stoma.  The nurses suggested all the following:  gatorade, white grape juice, prune juice, hot apple cider.  And I drank that amount split between all of those beverages but basically just nothing happened.  If this continues to occur, I know I can't keep going to the ER everything I'm having a backup with the ileostomy.  I'm wondering if it would be better just to ask about the reversal sooner and see if my body adjusts since I have had 2 weeks to let the original surgery heal a bit on its own.  Just some thoughts.  But I shall continue to listen to the doctors suggestions and give some of my own input.  One of the nurses did mention the possible need for TPN if the ileostomy isn't functioning.  I don't think I'd be opposed to this because I just need any type of nutrition my body can handle right now.  Especially in the winter because I too only weigh 100 lbs and am always cold.  Thanks as always for the input!

Kymberly 

#43 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11099 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:58 AM

Kymberly--so sorry your output hasn't increased!  that's good you are going to the ER today--they can help you.  TPN was a miracle for me--it turned me around and made my bowels finally start to function plus i started to feel and look so much better. i just needed that nutrition--desperately. like you, i'm quite thin and losing all that weight while in the hospital on IV's didn't help.

i think your thoughts and ideas about your surgery etc are good--tell your surgeon. at least you will be able to find out what her reasoning is behind giving you the temp ileo.  i was a bit surprised to hear that she wanted you to have a temp ileo  because i'd always read on the ostomy board from people there and my friends who have ostomies that it's usually hard to keep your weight and nutrition up with an ileo because everything moves through you so fast--once it starts moving that is. and i've read about people getting a temp ileo first with the colon still left in there to see how they do without using their colon and then if they do well with that the surgeon reverses the ileo and performs a colectomy but in your case she's already done the colectomy... but of course a medical expert  i am most definitely not lol --and your surgeon is--so it would be good to hear her point of view. and maybe she'll agree with you now.

good luck--keeping you in my prayers!   keep us posted!  annie   ps--it's miserably cold here too (michigan) minus 12 yesterday. today's a bit of a warm up with a foot more snow and windy coming tonight and then even colder next week.  keep warm!  think summer! smile.png

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#44 Miss Beany

Miss Beany

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

Kymberly - 

My thoughts are with you this morning as I am sure you are venturing off to the ER.  Please keep me updated.  Hopefully it is an easy fix for you and not something they will have to readmit you for.  Better to go and get it checked versus be uncertain and have it be a bigger issue later.  Hopefully your surgeon too will listen to your want to have the reconnection surgery now versus later - I still do not quite understand why they did not connect you up right away, but hopefully she will be able to shed some light on that.  When you are reconnected, it feels like it did before, only difference is watery diarrhea many times per day (for me it is at least over 20 times, if not more per day).  Your butt will be raw, but at least how i feel is I am thankful stuff is moving around and not sitting in me making me sick all of the time anymore.  Hang in there...you will get through this.  I will be thinking and praying for you.  Think of it as a hiccup on the road to recovery - you will rise above this, just as you have risen above all else up until this point! tongue.png

Keep us posted!  <3

Gina

#45 ksl2017

ksl2017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

Hey guys, sorry I haven't responded in a while.  I had a doctors appointment yesterday and they did a small bowel follow through where I had to drink this nasty gastro drink stuff which they said would really loosen up things if there was a minor blockage.  Although the test took 3 hours to reach my ileostomy, I'd say it worked because I started emptying my bag about 4 times after that.  The doc advised me to double my fluids whenever I eat so I usually drink a bottle of vitamin water and he said to drink 2 of those after every meal so things will really loosen up down there and not get caught up.  I still have my reversal scheduled for March and they just want me to eat soft foods until then for sure since it is very slow transit.  But there were no kinks or anything major from the Xrays thankfully.  I just have to be careful and keep resting and allowing the ileostomy to heal as it is still slightly swollen even.  Thanks for your comments and concerns.  I really feel like going through this is making me a stronger individual.  It would be nice if I could have a mall close by to get some more exercise in, but it turns out I live an hour from the closest mall even so its not ideal for my situation hahaa And it doesn't help that its a winter wonderland outside or else I could walk more outside.  Its 3 weeks post op and my bikini line scar is healing up better.  It doesn't hurt as badly to sneeze or cough hahaa i'm sure you both know what I mean when I say that!  I do agree Gina that this is just a hiccup on the road to recovery and I need to continue to be a patient compliant young adult about the situation and follow the doctors orders as they do know best since they deal with colon surgeries on a daily basis.  I've mostly just been at home watching movies and trying to walk around my house since I still get extremely tired just even walking around the grocery store with my Mom or taking a shower.  I'm sure this is all part of the process and being 23 I think this has taught me that I need to be more patient as I am often a worry wart and usually always on the go.  Now I will have the rest of this month and all of February to let my body rest up.  

Gina, I do have a few questions for you now.  How is your recovery coming along and have you noticed improvements with the bowel habits?  Also do you recall when you started exercising after your surgery?  I had a friend at Cleveland Clinic tell me she couldn't start exercising until 6 weeks post op surgery, but I know everyone's body is different.  And Annie, if either of you have any recommendations for some exercises I could do at my house to keep my bowels "awake" I guess I'd certainly appreciate that :)  One good thing about watching TV at home is that the Olympics will be starting in February so that gives me something to look forward too.  I'm running out of Netflix movies to watch it feels like hahaa  Looking forward to hearing back from you both, hope your week is going well.  Please keep me updated on your statuses too with your health as always.

Kymberly

#46 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11099 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Hi Kymberly

good to her from you and glad you are finally having output from your stoma.  

yes you're right--be patient, rest and allow yourself to heal! i learned that the hard way--i'm used to being  on the go, too...

you're doing the right thing-- walk as much as you can but take care not to over tire yourself. walking does help to stimulate the bowel. that's what the surgeons and nurses kept telling me and i found it is true. that's what helped me the most. and it was the only exercise my surgeon approved for the first six weeks after surgery. no other exercises like bike riding or the elastic bands that i use til after at least six weeks but it might be different for you because of the stoma so i would def ask the surgeon's advice on types of exercise and when. i know stomas can be tricky and you don't want to get a hernia--it's easy to get a hernia with a stoma if you aren't careful.. many people on the ostomy group say getting a special hernia belt for the stoma area is a good idea if your going to do any other exercise beside walking. ask your surgeon or your WOCN or ask on the ostomy board for more info...

yes--i was walking indoors too. my surgery was in july and i came home just as a triple digit heat wave set in.  i was just to weak to walk outside and endure that oppressive heat. now--after that nasty polar vortex we just  had--i'm longing for heat--lol....smile.png 

please take good care of yourself and yes- stay patient.  you will get your strength back and feel better soon.  annie

#47 Miss Beany

Miss Beany

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

Hi Kymberly!

So glad to hear you are home and doing better!  I was concerned and wondering if they had admitted you to the hospital when you went into the ER.  You have definitely be in my thoughts and prayers.  

I am finding too that the more liquid I have in my diet the easier things are for me, and the better I feel.  I have been extremely dehydrated, but that is likely going to be a constant struggle for some time until things regulate, is my guess.  I know my surgeon had told my Mom and best friend after surgery to make sure I keep myself well hydrated at all times, and that I will constantly need to keep drinking water.  Guess that is definitely the truth!  

My recovery is coming along well - still have a lot of liquid stools and still emptying anywhere from 10-20 times per day; pretty much whenever I go to the bathroom liquid comes out.  I have had some stool with more consistency here and there, but i am thinking that is likely due to me trying a few different foods here and there (for example, I love flavored almonds and know I am not getting as much protein as I used to...so I have been having a few in the morning.  So far, so good!).  I am also going crazy on this low residue diet and am absolutely dying for one of my favorite salads in the world.  So I think this week I am going to attempt it, make sure to chew things up really good, and see what happens - only way to know right?  I figure this was the best way to try it since I have an appointment with my surgeon on Friday.  I am hoping at that point he will also be okay with me adding more foods in, or at least trying new foods and keeping track of what works and doesn't.  Other than that, I am still on the same diet and same foods I had mentioned before = boring and bland.  Granted, it has worked and other than stomach pain, no other complications have arisen in that department.  

I started walking my dog around the neighborhood, which is roughly a mile, pacing myself, the day after I got home from the hospital (2 weeks post surgery).  I had also emailed my surgeon and asked him when I could resume using my elliptical.  He had said the next week (which would be 3 weeks post surgery).  I have been doing it since and find it definitely helps move my bowels along more, sometimes annoyingly so because I have to sometimes stop in the middle and run to the bathroom.  I also notice that I have pulling and rather painful stabs of pain on my mainly right side, sometimes left, when I am doing the elliptical or even walking, or doing stairs.  This may be because I do have an 8-inch open incision from where he opened me up to remove the colon (as my primary care doctor said this week, I had both laparoscopic and open procedure done).  It definitely has not been nearly as painful as it was for me when I had my first open procedure in the summer - but my guess is all of those nerve fibers were already destroyed...and i was likely becoming tolerant of pain?  :)  

I had to go see my primary care doctor this week because I have still been having the cold soaking sweats at  night, and also get extremely dizzy, blackout vision, and almost pass out whenever I stand.  My surgeon wanted me to followup with my primary, so I did.  He did bloodwork, which was mostly normal apart from my platelet count, again.  He is also sending me to my cardiologist for a tilt table test as he suspects I may have POTS.  This isn't the first time i have had a doctor think I have this, but given it is really causing me to nearly pass out, he wants to take the next steps at accurately diagnosing it.  Other than that, I am doing well.  I am driving again - drove on new years day.  I do not think I am going to go back to work at the bar until the last week of January at this point, but need to talk to my surgeon about it.  As much as I really need the income (have not worked since December 8), i also do not want to put myself at risk at pulling anything or getting a hernia.  I do a lot of lifting there, since we have no barbacks, and I definitely do not think I would be able to do that at this point.  But, will see what the surgeon says.  I go back to class the week of the 20th.

Cheers to a healthy, happy week.  Glad we are thawing out, finally!  Monsoon season seems to be here today...with 60 degree weather.  Crazy!  

Take care! :)

Gina

#48 ksl2017

ksl2017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the advice as always, I really take it to heart and utilize it here at home.  My output is slowly getting better, feeling less distended and I am drinking twice the amount of fluids I did with very soft foods.  Sticking to the soft foods really helped I believe.  Even though the nurses said I could eat sandwiches and stuff with the ileostomy, I don't think I'm up to that quite yet as I had that at the hospital and it just really made me feel distended and in pain.  So I switched to things more like mashed potatoes, fish, chicken noodle soup, yogurt, boost supplement shakes, ice cream, tomato soup, chili, scrambled eggs, etc.  These things seem to be working.  The diet is very boring, but I just know I feel best when I eat soft foods and drink a lot of vitamin water and gatorade.  Do either of you have any suggestions for the low residue diet?  Perhaps any special dishes you find yummy to switch things up?  I do have a diet sheet from the hospital, but its always nice to hear some ideas outside the box especially when it gets very boring eating the same thing over and over.  I have quite a ways to go until my reversal of the ileostomy in March and I am taking a medical leave of absence from Pharmacy school to heal up so I will have plenty of time to grocery shop and cook some things such as soups and what not.  Gina, I know the feeling of craving a delicious salad!  I used to eat salads all the time, especially during the summer with fresh fruits, so you will have to let me know how that goes.  Perhaps it will be something for me to look forward to after my reversal too :)  Its funny you mention the symptoms of POTS because oddly enough, I have to sit up slowly in my bed or chair before I get up to walk as I too get dizzy and blackout vision.  I always thought this was normal or that it just meant I was tired and dehyrated.  But I usually just take it slow whenever I get up.  I hope your appointment goes well and you get some answers for the night sweats and other symptoms.

Weather wise it has been in the 30 degree range here in Wisconsin which is when people start making jokes about wearing shorts and sandals because it has typically been below zero for most of the beginning of January haha My sister and I are going to walk around the mall tomorrow and go to a bookstore.  Funny it will be my first time really going out in public since my surgery so I am looking forward to stretching out my legs a bit and just walking around!

Wishing you both a happy & healthy start to your weeksmile.png

Kymberly

#49 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11099 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:15 AM

Hi Kymberly

that's terrific you and your sister are going to the mall and a bookstore today!  what fun--enjoy!  and yes it is so good to be able to go out especially after surgery.  and yes the weather hasn't been too cooperative either. i'm in michigan and that polar vortex was horrible wasn't it. and then it lifted and we had freezing rain friday night. out here in the country all the roads were iced over and dangerous.  it's good to be able to finally go out.

about a soft foods diet and recipes. i eat soft, low residue foods now even  7 months after surgery because i still have such bad constipation problems even with just half a colon left. i'm not much of a cook, having lost my appetite when i was 10, 50 years ago when all the constipation problems started.  but i did find this great website, "soft foods digest"  which has a lot of creative recipes for those on a soft, low residue foods diet. it is run by a woman  with gastroparesis and who has to eat soft foods because of that but it's helpful to any of us on a soft food diet--hopefully you can get some ideas/recipes from it: 

http://softfoodsdigest.com/

enjoy your day today  smile.png

#50 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11099 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

also there is this nice long informative thread on the general discussion board of inspire-"foods post total colectomy" --for those wondering what to eat after a total colectomy, both right away afterwards and long term:

http://www.inspire.c...otal-colectomy/

#51 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11099 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

just thought of this recipe i make--roasted vegetables. the veggies all come out very  tender and flavorful--easy to digest. and it's nutritious too. you can also add any spices--or other vegetables-- you want to change it up a bit. i do roast them for a bit  longer than it says though--20 to 45 minutes-- depending on how much of this i make (love the leftovers!)  and to make sure they are soft enough for me--and i use sweet potatoes instead of red potatoes but either works well.

http://www.cooks.com...vegetables.html

hopefully it's not too much fiber for you right now with an ileo. it might be more suitable for post colectomy.

#52 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

I've been moonlighting in retail and there are a fair number of new organic baby foods that sound really gourmet that may be something that with a little seasoning could make for a good puree of stuff if you are bored and need something quick.

http://[email protected]@Stage3

http://www.ellaskitc...-toddler-meals/

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#53 ksl2017

ksl2017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

Annie thanks so much! That is very helpful.  Ironically, I love sweet potatoes more than normal potatoes so I'll certainly use that in the recipe!

#54 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11099 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

oh good, thanks! glad it was helpful  smile.png .

and that's great you like sweet potatoes. they're so nutritious and not gas-producing like some vegetables.  i make it with butternut squash since both my husband and i love it and he grows lots of it in his garden. you can use any winter squash.

i've also seen a lot of variations on this recipe using broccoli and/or cauliflower or brussels sprouts-- all of which i have to avoid since they give me gas (although i love them and they are so nutritious). also you can add onions or leeks, garlic, rutabagas  and even spinach--just put baby spinach on top of the vegetables right away after removing them from the oven when they're done and then stir the spinach into the mixture and that gives it all the heat it needs. probably higher in fiber with the spinach. 

anyway--you can really get creative with it.

#55 Miss Beany

Miss Beany

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

Hey Kymberly!

How are you feeling?  Are things continuing to improve?  I certainly hope so!

So the trial with the salad went...so-so.  I did have some pain while eating it (i eat so slowly now, even slower than i did before, and really try to make sure i chew everything really good), but it was so nice to eat it again.  The pain did get worse throughout the night, woke me up in the middle of the night and i had to take pain meds again.  I'm thinking maybe i should have chewed things more...but waiting to discuss this with my surgeon about diet and foods, and no-nos.  I'm going to attempt another salad next week, chewing the heck out of it, and will let you know how that goes :).

I did get the clear from my surgeon to return to all normal activities and work - i am healing very good, incision and all!  We are keeping a continued eye on the pain that I have after I eat, and during the night (it's not just salads that do it, most foods do), and he wants me to let him know if that persists via email.  I also am still having emptying issues, go to the bathroom anywhere from 1 to 20+ times a day; he said it still sounds like there is significant pelvic floor dysfunction there, but wants to give it some time before we attempt physical therapy and we talk iliestomy (permanent).  We are both hoping to avoid that, but knew all along that was a real possibility.  I actually do not have to go back to my surgeon for a year (wants me to come in and say hi), but also said that he wants me to be in touch with issues via email and phone.  So, fingers crossed that my small intestine is just working out the kinks. As I said to him, I  have not felt this good in God knows how long!  I am so thankful I had this surgery.

In terms of foods to eat - i am still on the low residue diet (actually forgot to ask him about foods and diet, so emailed him to ask this morning).  I have found that chicken steaks (steak-ums makes them, 1g fat, around 40-60 calories per steak) are the easiest to digest for me, versus regular chicken (likely because it is already so thin and broken down).  So I will do that in a white flatout wrap with BBQ sauce and some shredded lettuce.  I also dip it in more bbq as i eat it, cutting the wrap apart (I don't eat it whole or like a sandwich...may sound weird, but i find when i cut it apart and eat it like that, that i slow down and chew things up more.)  Another thing that I have found to be really good and digests pretty well is boxed pacific rim? soups from Target--I get butternut squash or roasted red pepper.  I'll throw in a few more spices, like basil and paprika, salt and pepper.  I then add that to very well boiled veggies (broccoli, califlower, green beans, squash, carrots) to the point they are mushy.  I add about a tablespoon or so of rice under it, and have a white pita bread to dip (kind of resembles an indian dish i love, but is much much healthier).  This has lots of vitamins, because the veggies are cooked so well i haven't had any issues digesting, and is yummy.  Calorie-wise, pretty low in calories and maybe 2-5 gram fat total.  For lunch when I am home, I will make egg beaters with fat free american cheese and add some shredded lettuce - easy to digest, though i do see the lettuce when it comes out.  I also have made canned chicken salad with some cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, and helman's low fat mayo on a half white flatout bread wrap - i eat it again by cutting it up, and instead of adding celery, i again will add shredded lettuce.  Mind you, my system seems okay with shredded lettuce, but i started slow with adding that into things, mostly because i got really bored of just eating things bland without any form of green healthy thing :).  Hopefully this will help.  My diet has remained the same, even though it is a month post-surgery.  Hopefully my surgeon will tell me to try some new stuff, and i will let you know how that goes.  I feel like eating has definitely gotten more enjoyable, and sometimes it takes trying things more than once to get the body used to it.

I go to my cardiologist this friday - they messed up the appointment last week, so i had to reschedule.  Will let you know what happens.  My neuro ophtamologist definitely wants me to go and is slightly concerned it may be connected to my heart defect.  Hopefully not and not a big deal overall.  We will see!

Stay warm! :)

Gina

#56 ksl2017

ksl2017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Gina,

I am still having the same output which isn't in the range they want although I am drinking lots of fluids.  They said this might just be my norm for a while until my intestines can really heal.  Yesterday was officially one month since my surgery.  So I'm keeping the positive attitude.  One more month to go and reversal surgery in February.  I drink a lot of boost and ensure if I feel tired and I feel like it gives me the nutrients I need for the day when I feel too full to try to push foods.  They said if some days I feel too distended I can just push fluids and wait for some output to pass through the stoma.  This seems like a better solution for the discomfort right now.  I'm glad to hear things are coming along for you.  I forgot you mentioned you used to work at a bar a couple posts back?  I myself used to bartend to help pay for school since it was really good money while I was an undergraduate student.  I enjoyed it because it was a little hometown bar with a lot of familiar, regular customers.  I can relate to your ambition to get back to work as I have held a job since my sophomore year in high school so I'm really not used to being home and not working.  I think I get a little bit of the winter blues too since it is so dang cold here in Wisconsin.  I've been helping my parents out around the house with chores and I cook for them since my mom works long hours.  In fact today I stuffed and prepared a whole turkey for dinner for my family.  Kind of like a thanksgiving feast because I made them stuffing, mashed potatoes, cornbread, and corn to go along with it.  Although I can't eat much myself, I know they appreciate it.  In fact before I got sick I used to cook all the time and host dinner/study sessions with my friends at school!  These are the things I miss.  So come March when I can introduce more foods after my surgery I will be a happy camper I'm sure haha.  But I enjoy asking you questions about your diet and what seems to be working & what causes you pain as you are ahead of the game with the surgery ;)  Let us know about your cardiologist appointment and how that goes.

P.S. I'm 23 years old and I used to drink a glass of wine with my dinner most nights.  If you drink a bit, have you tried any wine or alcoholic drinks since your surgery and if so did you have any bad reaction to it? I think you mentioned trying some champaign on New Years but I can't recall.  Thanks again and keep us posted as always :)  

Prayers and best wishes,

Kymberly

#57 ksl2017

ksl2017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

Annie

I bought ingredients for Panera's baked potato soup too and I'm making that tomorrow in the crockpot from a recipe I found on Pinterest.  I'll be trying out all sorts of soup recipes now :) And Gina the recommendation about the boxed soups from Target is good.  I always add my own seasonings to things to jazz them up a bit.  I'm especially a fan of twice baked sweet potatoes too if that sounds appetizing to either of you.  Its one of my favorite recipes. I like it because I use yogurt and low fat cheese to make it more healthy and less thick.

Kymberly

#58 Miss Beany

Miss Beany

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

Hi Kymberly!!

Greetings from blizzard session in PA!  So glad to hear from you!

I'm sorry to hear you are still having issues with your output, but am confident that once you are reconnected, things will be much better.  Did they move up your take down to February?  For some reason I thought it was March, but either way, I am excited for you to have that!  How long is that surgery?

My surgeon did get back to me right away in terms of my question about food - he more or less told me to slowly add fiber foods in and make sure to keep a food diary of it.  So I got some light wheat bread sunday and tried to make my chicken lunchmeat w/ mayo and some shredded lettuce on that for lunch yesterday - went down fine, with no pain.  I did notice I felt really backed up last night though, and things that were coming out were not so liquidy, and hurt a bit.  I also picked up a salad on my way home last night from my fav place - it had spicy chicken, apples, strawberries, croutons, and candied pecans.  I chewed everything up really good.  No pain after eating, some pain during the night when it was digesting last night, but notice I am backed up again today with again no liquidy stools and what does come out is hard to pass and I feel constipated.  I think it's just going to take some time for me to be able to eat stuff like that again - or i need to drink more, one of the two!

I've added in coffee w/ splenda after i eat lunch, which usually seems to help move things though.  I also drink hot tea after breakfast and lunch (when i don't have the coffee) which also seems to help. 

I've been extremely tired as of late, have to push myself to do things, especially working out - even though i haven't missed a day.  I guess that just goes along with the surgery and the fluctuation in energy levels.  

I do bartend and am actually not returning to work again until the week of February 3 - actually trying to find a different place to work that is closer to my house since this place has us cleaning up, unpaid, until 4am...and i don't think my body will really function off of 2 to 4 hours of sleep like it used to.  I may have to stick it out for a time though...if they let me come back.  They've been pretty rude since I have had the surgery, making me want to go back even less.  I am back at work at my internship and graduate teaching assistant...and classes were supposed to start today, but with the blizzard...we will see if I even have them tomorrow :)

I'm intrigued by the fact you mentioned winter blues - i feel the same way, and wonder if some part of it has to be from the surgery that we had?  I mean, it was a huge deal and does take both a huge physical and emotional toll on the body.  Winter too doesn't help things as everything is so dull!  Hang in there :)

Kudos for you for making that meal for everyone today - I am sure they will appreciate it, and I am also sure it made you feel good to do something like that!  I too enjoy cooking, and would love doing that or baking for others.  It's always nice to bring a smile to someone's face.

Feel free to ask me any and all questions - I'm happy to help and give insight! :)  This board has been such a lifesaver and form of support for me throughout this entire ordeal...so thankful for that and you all!

I will definitely let you know how the cardiologist appointment goes - the dizziness is driving me bonkers.  I also had to get botox injections last week for my complicated migraines (which started after my 1st surgery last January) and my vision has actually gotten worse.  Hopefully this is just a temporary thing.  Will keep you posted!

In terms of alcohol - you will be fine :).  The only thing I notice is I get flushed and my cheeks get rosey when I drink now, they didnt' before, or at least I didnt' notice.  When I got home from the hospital I was having hot chocolate with caramel vodka before I went to bed; now I just have hot chocolate, but that's because I have to wake up early for class and am really no longer on break :).  I also have been having a glass of wine whenever I go out to dinner with friends, which is now my drink of choice over martinis.  The wine has been completely fine for me (I drink whites, like reisling), so I think you should be just fine! :)  I find it relaxes me and actually helps my food digest a bit better, if that makes sense?  I also make sure to have a full glass of water with it too, so that I sip on it and have the water as my main beverage with dinner.

Keep warm!  :)

Fondly and warmly,

Gina

#59 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11099 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

Kymberly--sorry to hear your output still isn't so good. good for you for  staying positive about it all and yes it's probably, like they said, due to fact that you're still healing.  if you decide to try miralax, hope it helps.

that's terrific that you are helping your parents with household chores and cooking such delicious meals for them--even though you still can't eat much of the food--how kind and considerate of you!  you sound like a wonderful cook.  i bet your parents really appreciate it. the baked potato soup sounds terrific. and with it cooking away in the crockpot all day it will fill the house with a delicious aroma.

oh yes --the winter blues. i have them too.such a long hard winter it's been.  i'm in michigan. record breaking snow, ice and cold here. more frigid air here this week and more snow on the way too--like we need any more lol...think summer! 

Gina--so sorry about all your other health problems. i do hope the doctors can get it all sorted out for you and that you soon feel better.

keeping both of you in my prayers! smile.png

#60 ksl2017

ksl2017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

Hey!

So I tried some wine the other night and everything was fine like you said.  In fact I had more output in the morning after I went to bed.  I used to have a higher alcohol tolerance when I was in my undergrad, but it was funny because I became sleepy & relaxed after just one glass of wine haha which was fine by me.  I spoke with my GI doc two days ago and he said maybe introduce some foods that would grab along the intestines to have something for them to move along.  I was scared because I really was barely having any output with just soft soups, cereals, and yogurts, but I decided to give it a try.  Yesterday I ate a soft cheeseburger from a very very popular old time restaurant that makes classic butter burgers (kind of like culvers).  But it had onions and pickles on it.  I chewed everything super good and much to my surprise by the end of the day I was having more output than normal!  I couldn't believe it.  Surprisingly I told my friend from Cleveland Clinic this and she said that onions make her have so much output with her ostomy.  Not sure if it did the trick, but perhaps I'll try some onions in my omlet next time or something and see how that goes.  I am very happy because today is the first day where I didn't feel distended after eating a meal and things were outputting.  My mom and I went grocery shopping today and she bought a bunch of cooking supplies so I could whip up some recipes for our family while she works.  haha She has enjoyed my cooking and it keeps me occupied like I said. PS everyone loved my baked potato soup, it was gone in 2 days (although we do have a family of 6 hungry individuals haha)  I would really really like to try eating a salad in another week or 2 so i might ask my doc about that and see what he says since the cheeseburger thing went alright, but i'm not sure how lettuce would fair with an ileostomy. I love drinking tea too!  My brother is into HerbaLife sales which are a lot of protein shake supplements and teas.  One thing I have had though that I ironically found works very well is having a shot of aloe juice 30 minutes before I eat a meal.  It seems to wake up my intestines and my stoma starts to literally move once I take that.  I'm not sure if either of you have used that before or if your not into supplements like that, but I know it does the trick for me so I've been using it for about a week now every morning before I eat.  I bought a mango flavored one from my brother :) January is almost over and hopefully those winter blues will go away with it.  Its always hard to get the body going when its freezing and you just don't want to crawl outta bed.  Especially for us when we don't have much body fat and are trying to get our nutrition back up.  

Gina-Yes my reversal is actually at the very beginning of March (might have accidently said February, but March it is!)...PS have you tried eating anything with skins on it yet?  Like apples or other fruits?  Just curious.

Annie-all of my mothers relatives live in Michigan so I know how cold it gets there too during the winter season!  Stay warm :)

Kymberly

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colonic inertia, constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pain, abdominal bloating, rectal prolapse, resection rectopexy, subtotal colectomy

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here