Both sides hurt under ribs? - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Both sides hurt under ribs?

rib pain gallbladder

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 starglitter

starglitter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

Advertisement

Hi, I am new here! I joined this group because I have had IBS for a couple years now... but it's just now starting to really get worse! I'm 32 and don't eat the way I should. I tend to eat a lot of junk, especially around this time of year! so, I'm not sure that is helping with my current pains. But in August 2012, I started to get pains in my upper right abdominal region. My doctor thought it could be my gallbladder, so she had me have an ultrasound. It came back perfectly normal... and eventually the pain went away! Well, just in October (last month), I went back to the doctor as the pain was back. It was the same deal.... My upper right abdominal area hurt... not the worst pain ever... it felt like a little bubble or something... just this little bubble of pain... kind of like just a sore muscle? It's hard for me to describe. Once again, she ordered an ultrasound, which came back normal... She said if I continue to have the pain, I should have a HIDA scan done... she suspected I could have a dsyfunctional gallbladder. The pain went away for a while, but now it is back again... the same deal, basically.... But it hurts more far up my abdominal region, like right under my breast. And now it is not only on the right side... it also hurts on the left side... in the same spot! And it feels like a sore rib cage. It hurts when I move a certain way... sometimes even when I breathe deeply. My IBS has been acting up bad this morning as well... I've been going to the bathroom a lot. I was looking this up on the internet and that is how I found this site... Is this pain related to my IBS? It seriously feels like a sore rib cage. I am wondering if I should go back to the doctor and have the HIDA scan to rule out any other gallbladder problems? I really don't know what to do! It's annoying and it depresses me. I don't feel like doing anything and I can't really enjoy life, ya know? I just want to sulk. My back also hurts a little... more like my upper back. But I think that is from lying/sitting the way I was for hours this morning, sulking around in bed watching Netflix. Does anyone else have these problems? Or advice? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks :)

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

There are bends in the colons under both ribs.  And those bends tend to be trouble spots for IBS.

There are treatments for IBS pain, are you more of a medication or only natural things kind of perons?

IBS pretty much requires pain or discomfort as part of the diagnosis (things like urgency or bloating that may not be exactly pain, but definitely are something uncomfortable enough on their won).

There are functional disorders that are either the pain or the stool issues of IBS, but sounds like you have both (and IBS vs functional whatever doesn't change the treatment).

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 starglitter

starglitter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

Thank you for responding! I'm more of a medicine person, actually. But I am not on any medication for my IBS right niw. My doctor did give me Prilosec though! I also have GERD... Lovely! I am open to natural remedies though, if you have any recommendations!

It feels like a sore muscle :(

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

Natural the first thought for the pain is peppermint as it is an antispasmodic, it can make heartburn worse, so watch out for that.

Generally first treatment they try for the IBS pain is a prescription antispasmodic, and if that doesn't work a low dose antidepressant.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#5 m-p{3}

m-p{3}

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:02 AM

I'm also having pain under both sides of my ribs, kind of like a line at the height of the xiphoid process.

I've been through an upper endoscopy to rule out any gastric issue, and there was only signs of mild gastritis.

Next step is a colonoscopy, which I will ask my doctor next tuesday as I still don't feel better and I want to rule out any dangerous diseases.

m-p-3.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rib pain, gallbladder

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here