Pancreatitis vs IBS, colonoscopy question - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Pancreatitis vs IBS, colonoscopy question

IBS pancreatitis upper right abdomen pain colonoscopy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 legion

legion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:04 AM

Advertisement

Greetings!

Iam here to see if anybody could help out with my particular dilemma.

To start, Iam a 26 years old male. Dont smoke, drink, and in good shape.

I have had the following diagnostic tests:

• upper endoscopy - mild gastritis and NERD diagnosis
  • colonoscopy - Nothing found HOWEVER the gastro noted "slightly poor preparation of the bowel with scattered liquid stool" (not sure how that happened, everything came out clear the day before and I ate nothing solid for 2 days). Diagnosed with "probable IBS"
  • abdominal xray - showed lots of stool in colon but otherwise normal
  • ultrasound - everything normal
  • blood test - no anemia, everything normal
  • fecal occult test - negative

My primary symptom is mild pain in the upper left abdomen, right below the rib, not under, just below.The pain tends to happen moments before I pass gas, sometimes after eating, sometimes when moving after being in certain positions for a while and also when pressing hard on the area.There also seems to be some swelling as that particular area seems to be a bit more raised than my right. Secondary symptom is varying bowel movements. I may go from normal to constipation to formed loose stool to constipation to normal.

Now on to the questions!

1. The pain still persists. I have read that pancreatitis has similar symptoms to IBS. Based on the location of the pain, the seeming swelling, and pain sometimes after eating, should i pursue tests for pancreatitis? Could the gastritis be the culprit?

2. My gastro said he was worried about me and was releived to not have found anything during the colonoscopy but in his rush forgot to mention anything about the slightly poor bowel prep. I only found out the day after when I got a copy of the report. Should I bother with a retest anytime soon?

Thank you for your time. :)

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

Usually pancreatitis has more symptoms than IBS, usually tends to severe pain, and usually something is abnormal in the blood work.

Are you losing all kinds of weight totally out of proportion to what you are eating?  (as some with pancreatitis may lose some of the weight from the nausea and vomiting issues).

If you had blood in the fecal occult test or abnormalities in the blood work it might be worth putting your system through the stress of the colonoscopy again, but slightly poor usually won't be a huge problem in checking for Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

And remember IBS is very common, so it is mostly likely that is what you have and the pattern of pain sounds like IBS to me.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 legion

legion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for the response Kathleen!

I have not experienced significant weight loss. My weight tends to fluctuate between 132 and 135 during the week but I attribute that to water weight. I have had no vomiting and in rare instances have had nausea.

There was no blood in the fecal occult test. The blood work had a couple abnormalities however. It showed high basophil count, 2.9 on a 0-2 scale. My WBC was low, 4.0 on a 4.8-10.8 scale. Then there was my cholesterol which showed as 209 on a 0-199 scale (I eat too many eggs). From what I remember (this blood test was done about 4 months ago) I had a minor case of the sniffles a couple days AFTER the blood test so I have attributed that to the high basophil and low WBC counts.

Pain severity has only reached unbearable a couple of times and each one was while eating. My gastro said it was probably just gas but i dont know, the pain was pretty strong. Also, can you exhibit pain after a bowel movement with IBS? Have had that happen a few times, this morning included. It was a dull pain originating from the whole left, decending colon but it didnt last very long. From what I've read about IBS, pain is typically releived after a bowel movement.

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

They can test for organ problems with bloods tests for enzymes that should not be leaking out into the blood in large amounts. 

IBS can have pain at any time.  IBS pain can be severe.  Sometimes pain can come after a BM,   The pain that fades after a BM is because about 70% of IBSers have rectal hypersensitivity (rare in other things) so if you ever get that urgent painful gotta go that reduces shortly after a BM, it is almost certain you have IBS (may ahve other things going on, but you have IBS).

It does not have to disappear the second the BM leaves the body, just that it fades after the rectum is emptied.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#5 legion

legion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

I may get one of those enzyme blood tests at some point. Its always that upper left location where the pain is primarily located. Having a tough time figuring out what triggers the more pain intensive episodes or reduce the overall frequency and I have yet to rule out the pancreas. For now though, all of these tests are really drying up the wallet. I have no insurance so all of these tests come out of my pocket on a near minimum wage job.

#6 TVgirl

TVgirl

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:23 AM

Totally sounds like gas. Gas pains can be quite severe. Probably trapping before making descent down the colon. For me I get gas trapped on the right mid to low abdomen. Gas clues are that you have it before passing gas, positions affect it, after eating which causes intestinal contractions and distension. Try walking and excercises with some stretching if you don't already.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS, pancreatitis, upper right abdomen pain, colonoscopy

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here