Who here has PI-IBS? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Who here has PI-IBS?

PI-IBS post infectious ibs gas chronic flatulence

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 brenguy

brenguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

Advertisement

Hi All!

I'm new to this site but I have had post-infectious IBS for the last 3.5 years. Its a barrier to my love life, made me less confident and its harder to be motivated to be happy and productive.

But hey I'm still fighting through it and I'm not going to let this take over my life! I'm glad there are others out there like me that I can connect with. Feel free to post up here if you have PI-IBS and maybe we can share stories and perspectives, and tricks\treatments!

-Bren laugh.png

#2 joejr2u

joejr2u

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

Right here :(

#3 apiej

apiej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hi Bren...

I too have PI IBS. Or at least thats what the GI has told me. It started with a really bad bout of gastro,after which I was ok (although not fully recovered) for about 2 weeks. In that time I had also taken a round of antibiotics which could have also contributed to it. Anyway, after 2 weeks of feel ok the gastro came back suddenly one night and I was in severe pain, vomiting with diarrhoea. I couldnt eat or sleep which was the most distressing thing for me as these are my two favourite things in the world. Anyway, the severe pain lasted about a week & then one night i decided i was starting to feel better so are some chocolate. Boy was that a bad idea. I was in so much pain & back to the toilet throwing up with severe diarrhoea again. Ended up in the ER & they said I had a urine infection (which i knew i didnt). Anyway, the nausea & diarrhoea kept going on for about another 2 weeks until i decided I needed to see a GI. By the time I went to see him I had started feeling a little better and he said it sounded just like IBS PI and that i should get better on my own. Later that week i ate some pea soup & was back to square one throwing up etc again. Although this time instead of lasting a week or more, it only lasted a couple days. I was then doing really great for a few weeks & had managed to eat a little chocolate and spicy foods and was back to normal sleeping & bowels when i had as drink of Pepsi max which sent me back to where i was at the start. That was this week so i am now feeling very sad & depressed about it all. Overall i do feel like my symptoms MAY have been less servers but it could also be wishful thinking. Its been a few days and I am still not very hungry, feeling nautious & I've noticed my heart rate feels elevated (which I know could be anxiety about it all). I just want to be better & wish there was some magical cure for it all. As mentioned, I love food and the thought of not ever being able to eat properly again is heartbreaking for me. I have also lost about 10kgs which is a lot for me as I wasn't overweight in the first place. I have been taking a multi vitamin and probiotic specific for bowels daily and when i need it i have an anti-nausia med, anti-spasmodic & Paracetamol/codine but i also dont want to get in the habit of taking meds all the time. I have been trying to experiment a little with adding different things to my diet & recording what i ate & felt like etc but so far i cant notice any specific trigger (except the pea soup & Pepsi although I am only guessing it was them as I started to get sick just after it). I wouldn't say the diarrhea is as bad as I have read from other people.... More loose and unformed and only usually once in the morning, but I just can't stand the lack of appetite and nausea so any suggestions of ways to help this I am all ears.

Hope you are starting to feel better. :)

#4 kiko khan

kiko khan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:50 AM

in your case of pi-ibs you must specially search for "fecal transplant" - scientific papers, clinical trials, etc. i had a 12 year nightmare that consumed the life out of me. nothing worked. sometimes even taking high concentration macrogol with a few litres of water didn't had an effect. a couple of years ago i was prescribed the antidepressant argofan which worked instantly from the first day in regulating my bowel movement (even tho it was prescribed for something else and the doctor warned me that it will take a couple of weeks before it has any visible effects). it seemed to me like i was given a magical potion! unfortunately it gave me other side effects and had to try cipralex which did not seem to work that well, and after that went on remeron which i'm taking now. it's been 2 years and i'm at a constant 80% from what it would be normal bowel movement, which is perfect and a blessing for me. the down side is that i tried for 5 times to half the medication and the constipation came back with a vengeance (altho i did not have absolutely any psychological downside). the musculature of the intestines that produce their movement is controlled by serotoninergic nerve cells (most antidepressants work by modulating serotonin)... altho my psychiatrist did not understand how it might work it resumed to say that my constipation was a result of depression (which i'm sure that it wast the other way round) hence treating my state of mind cured my bowel problem. i'm writing these lines because i know how desperate you might be and i hope you might get some relief. i also recommend reading about "micro-biome and bowel movement" and the miracles of fecal transplant (which sound bad but it's cutting edge medicine). and also guided meditations and hypnosis sessions are absolutely necessary in my opinion. some of the best you can now get free on youtube - search for "michael sealey IBS hypnosis", also "thereachapproach meditations".

i also want to tell you how much it helps to find some higher understanding. i myself, bypassed my desperation with reading science articles, novels and the most incredible thing that happened to me from all this torment was discovering "out of your mind - complete lectures by alan watts" it amounts in 15 hours of audio, and you can download them for free here:

https://kat.cr/alan-...s-t6285173.html

#5 lithium

lithium

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:53 AM

PI-IBS which started from a systemic infection. Made the problem worse by taking many antibiotics. I may also have leaky gut.

#6 gralcl

gralcl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:43 AM

I got it after really horrendous salmonella poisoning, but was told I would get better on my own. However after months and months of loosing weight and being unable to eat anything without "loosing" everything I went and saw someone else who said it might be SIBO - Had the hydrogen test and it was - also difficult to shift apparently, currently on my antibiotics at the moment - Was looking into SIBO and apparently 80% or so people who have "IBS" actually have SIBO. So worth getting it ruled out I guess. smile.png

#7 rhondaj

rhondaj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

How are you going now? I had shocking bout of semonella and have had 6 months of changed bowels. It's been a shocking and anxious time. I'm hanjnc a colonoscopy in the next week but wanted the sibo test but he said the colonoscopy should reveal everything
Thanks for caring

#8 rhondaj

rhondaj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

How are you going now? I had shocking bout of semonella and have had 6 months of changed bowels. It's been a shocking and anxious time. I'm hanjnc a colonoscopy in the next week but wanted the sibo test but he said the colonoscopy should reveal everything
Thanks for caring

#9 Jesse1234

Jesse1234

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:42 AM

I have PI-IBS. Look into IBSChek.com. It explains the cause. I didn't have this information when I got sick in 2006 and was told it's just in my head. It's all come out recently through years of research. If this is you, you could have SIBO caused from the damage.
PI-IBS is an autoimmune disease. The body attacks a nerve protein in the gut which controls motility, causing bacteria to overgrow and produce all your typical IBS symptoms.
There are two minute videos on how this all happens.

#10 rhondaj

rhondaj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:14 AM

Thank you for this - I am sure I have Pi ibs or sibo.

Since the semonella I've not been the same. I've been on broad spectrum probiotics for 6 months - that may of caused issues so have decided to go off them for a few weeks - I may be putting too much bacteria into my gut.

Thanks for your reply - how are you these days? Did you have changed bowel habits and do you have food allergies too? Cheers

#11 Jesse1234

Jesse1234

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

Yeah if you're in America or the UK you should see if you can get the blood test or anywhere else the breath test.

I'm much better than I was in the beginning.... but it's still here everyday because I haven't treated the SIBO. More food intolerances than allergies and I have the "D" subtype

#12 ashyam86343

ashyam86343

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

Hi Jesse.
You opened interesting topic. PI IBS leads to auto immune issue, you diagnosed in 2006 ?
What was diagnosed ?
What were your symptoms in 2006 before u to dr.and now.?
What kind of treatment you had ? Did you has any weight loss?

Sorry for long, I am having PI IBS d on the way of recovery. Thought of taking your inputs

#13 rhondaj

rhondaj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

Thanks Jesse for the info - having stool tests at the moment plus endoscopy and colonoscopy Monday
I've found the fodmap diet helping obviously I have more food intolerances than I thought. I tried sticking to a chicken potato pumpkin and beans meal each time and my stools started gardening up a bit. I'm off probiotics and B12 ATM to see if those things were keeping my condition stuck. I've lost more weight because of cutting out loads of foods and the worry too I hope. My bloating has been good so the better diet is at least good for you. Hate loosing weight however.
I will ask for the breath test after these other tests plus if you do the candida test - glass of water in morning with first spit before you eat and see little worn like things or cloudy that indicates it - mine did it. So who knows could be that.
When you say you're not completely better now what symptoms and did you loose weight? Cheers

#14 rhondaj

rhondaj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

Thanks Jesse for the info - having stool tests at the moment plus endoscopy and colonoscopy Monday
I've found the fodmap diet helping obviously I have more food intolerances than I thought. I tried sticking to a chicken potato pumpkin and beans meal each time and my stools started gardening up a bit. I'm off probiotics and B12 ATM to see if those things were keeping my condition stuck. I've lost more weight because of cutting out loads of foods and the worry too I hope. My bloating has been good so the better diet is at least good for you. Hate loosing weight however.
I will ask for the breath test after these other tests plus if you do the candida test - glass of water in morning with first spit before you eat and see little worn like things or cloudy that indicates it - mine did it. So who knows could be that.
When you say you're not completely better now what symptoms and did you loose weight? Cheers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PI-IBS, post infectious, ibs, gas, chronic, flatulence

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here