What does Melena look like? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

What does Melena look like?

ibs stool blood

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vcamp90

vcamp90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:51 AM

Advertisement

Hey there guys! First of all Id like to say that finding this website has given me so much hope. I finally feel like there are other people who share my same difficulties with IBS whom I can talk to. So this is me: 23 yrs old,  I've always suffered with IBS abdominal cramping, Diarrhea, LOTS of anxiety, and frequent bowel movements. Now, I tend to get really scared when I start having these flare-ups and immediately think about the worst things possible that could cause my symptoms. I had lots of blood work done, ultrasound, gastroenterologist visit who patted down my abdomen, pretty much everything but colonoscopies and upper gi-tract gastroscopy, which I'm really hesitating in doing due to the fact that I am scared shitless something may be found. Now although doctors have told me it's probably IBS, I'm not sure why I am not convinced. Here's why I entitled the topic "What does Melena look like?". This has happened to me occasionally like two or three times. My BM has sometimes come out with what look like black spots in the stool. There are many, however the stool itself is not entirely black. Its base color is brownish-yellowish but dotted with these black things. Now I am not sure if this is blood from inside or not. I do eat greens a lot, I'm not sure if that comes out darker in the stool if not digested properly. Anyways I was looking for some pointers and anyone who has had the same experience? It's really stressing me out because all of last year was pretty bad for me in terms of my IBS, but when the summer came I started feeling better and my BMs were normal in consistency and frequency. I would be very grateful for any help guys thanks so much!happy.png

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:02 AM

Usually black and tarry is large parts of the stool, not small dots.

Lots of stuff you eat is not digested completely and totally.  All humans (and animals) have bits of undigested tough bits in their stool of things that are not dissolvable in aqueous solutions no matter how acidic or how many enzymes there are.   A lot of seeds in the world get dispersed because they pass through a GI tract just fine and the animals walks for awhile before pooping them out.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 vcamp90

vcamp90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for replying so quickly. rolleyes.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs, stool, blood

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here