IBS scene in the Ladykillers? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS scene in the Ladykillers?

Stigma movie IBS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 motown21

motown21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

Advertisement

Has anyone else seen the movie The Ladykillers (2004, starring Tom Hanks)?

I just watched it and was moved by the repetitive jokes about IBS and the Mr. Pancake character and his girlfriend who both suffer from IBS.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how IBS is showed in this movie? Is it okay for Hollywood to turn IBS into comedy, or is this stigmatizing or offensive?

#2 lifeisahorrorstory

lifeisahorrorstory

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

I never heard of the movie. I think it's offensive for hollywood to make fun of IBS since it's a nightmare to have it.

#3 flitwit

flitwit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

I saw the movie when it was released, and remember the scene. It was before I had IBS... well, I had problems before, but not nearly as severe. In any case, I remember that I didn't find it funny, but I'm not offended by it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stigma, movie, IBS

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here