Alternatives to Rifaximin - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Alternatives to Rifaximin

IBS Diarrhoea Diarrhea SIBO Nausea Rifaximin Antibiotics

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ibsnewbie21

ibsnewbie21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

Advertisement

Can anyone suggest any alternatives to Rifaximin? I live in the UK where it's not available through prescription, I could buy it over the internet but then of course that throws up all sorts of problems in terms of knowing what I'm actually getting and cost. As far as I can tell Rifaximin is the best bet, but has anyone had any positive experiences with other antibiotics in treating their IBS or SIBO?

Thanks 

Gary

#2 flitwit

flitwit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hi Gary, looks like it should be available to you... under Xifaxanta or Targaxan as the brand name. http://www.cuh.org.u...7_rifaximin.pdf

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

http://www.onhealth....rowth/page6.htm has the list of other typical antibiotics for this.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#4 ibsnewbie21

ibsnewbie21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

Kathleen and Flitwit, thanks for the help. I'll run these by my doctor. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS, Diarrhoea, Diarrhea, SIBO, Nausea, Rifaximin, Antibiotics

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here