Testing advice - What tests should I request? - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Testing advice - What tests should I request?

IBS-C constipation intestines tests colonoscopy endoscopy tenesmus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alyeska Martinez

Alyeska Martinez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Advertisement

Hey guys,

I've had some success with treating the digestive symptoms of my IBS, but the constipation remains a struggle. I've tried so many different supplements and they all make my intestines irritated and uncomfortable. I frequently pass just mucus and some (fresh) blood and frequently have tenesmus. I am only 23 and that seems young to have a serious intestinal problem, but I'm going back to my gastroenterologist and I want to request some tests.

What tests should I ask for? Colonoscopy, endoscopy, etc? I've had blood and urine tests done already.

Thank you so much!

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10234 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:42 AM

the colonoscopy and endoscopy are a good place to start.

if you or the gastro doc think slow colonic transit might be a problem causing your constipation then a sitz marker test (colonic maker study) would diagnose that.

and a defecatory proctogram would diagnose any pelvic floor problems--problems with the pelvic floor muscles coordinating properly to allow stool to pass easily--or outlet problems or obstructions such as a rectocele, etc or an internal or external rectal prolapse. if the defecatory proctogram indicates pfd, an anal manometry is used to confirm that dx.

good luck. wishing you all the best. hope you can find some relief.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 Alyeska Martinez

Alyeska Martinez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

Thank you so much annie7!

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10234 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

oh you're more than welcome  smile.png    good luck....

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-C, constipation, intestines, tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy, tenesmus

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here