Xifaxan vs Colidur - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Xifaxan vs Colidur

xifaxan colidur rifaximin

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ege Avunç

Ege Avunç

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

Advertisement

Hello everyone,

I'm yet another IBS victim. Now i'm starting Rifaximin treatment, and here Rifaximin is sold under the brand name Colidur. (I live in Turkey)

I know that both Xifaxan and Colidur's active ingredient is Rifaximin, but what's interesting is that Colidur is approximately 12 times cheaper than Xifaxan. (You can buy one box of 12 tablets (200mg) for $5 - which approximately is the price for just one Xifaxan 200mg tablet, at least this is what this link says: http://www.pharmacyc...mg/43398/74757/)

So i'm wondering: Can anything be wrong with Colidur? Is it of lower quality than Xifaxan? How can it be so much cheaper? Can it be the other substances beside the active substance (Rifaximin) which create this price gap, or else what? (btw, turns out that they have a word for these other substances: 'excipients')

Any ideas & suggestions & information are welcome.

Cheers

• IndianRopeTrick likes this

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

Usually it is where it is made.  USA for the exact same thing will have a much higer price, so if you import a US brand rather than your local brand it will always cost a lot more even with the same ingredients.

Some governments subsidize their own drug industry (or regulate it's prices) in different ways, so the same thing can have different costs in different countries.  That is why a lot of people in the USA try to buy the drugs overseas and hope customs doesn't confiscate it.

If it is a company that has a good reputation in your country I would assume it is OK (although there are blackmarket labs in some countries that make stuff and so you do need to make sure you are buying from a pharmacy that is only buying the real stuff and not a website that is the front for the blackmarket).

• IndianRopeTrick likes this
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Ege Avunç

Ege Avunç

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Thank you for your answer Kathleen.

#4 mehran820

mehran820

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

hello Ege Avunç. are you use colidur for ibs? is it influence at your ibs?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xifaxan, colidur, rifaximin

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here