#1 Destinie

Destinie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

Advertisement

Hi Everyone- I thought I would post a little bit about my story (but not in to much excruciating detail). 

I've always had some sort of digestive issue ever since I was young but was never able to pinpoint it. It's one of those things where I just grew up with it and felt that it was "normal". As a kid and having stomach issues that inhibited me from going out I always just thought, "it's normal". So I lived with stomach aches, diarrhea, constipation and the like for a long time. It never occurred to me that I had IBS. When I had flare-ups I would just think "Oh, I caught a stomach bug" or "Oh, I am just stressed out today" or hundreds of other excuses. 

It wasn't until this year that I had decided to take action on it. I had suspected that I possibly had IBS when I was in college, about 6 years before. (6 years and I never did anything about it.) But it was getting to the point where it was unbearable. I couldn't eat ANYTHING without running to the bathroom immediately. I couldn't travel. I couldn't go hang out. I was always fearful of running to the bathroom. I know I had a lot of stressful things happen in my life but it had to be something worse. I really needed to see a doctor.

I did eventually see a doctor. I had several tests done and had several problems. One of which was heliobacter pylori. (14 horrible pills a day. I would never wish this treatment on anyone else. UGH.) My stomach pains went away and I thought that maybe I was cured! A week before my wedding, however, I noticed I was bleeding from my rear and was still having issues (albeit, less severe). For a while my husband and I thought that I had ulcerative colitis. Long story short, I was diagnosed with Clinical Gluten Intolerance, Inflammation of the small bowels, and IBS. 

To this day I am trying to keep a positive outlook. I control my symptoms, I don't let them control me! Learning to listen to what my body can handle and what it can't is extremely important. I can safely say I'm doing much better than I was but there are always "bad stomach days". 

One thing I do wonder is: how did I get this? I know that a family member on my dad's side was diagnosed with IBS years ago. But I also had an intense childhood: my parents divorced when I was young, I was dragged through all my dad's marriages and bad relationships, my step-father was a functioning alcoholic, his children possibly suffering from mental illnesses, my mother struggling with cancer, and constantly battling with my self-esteem and self-worth. All the while I always told myself that all these things were 'normal'.

Keeping myself looking forward to a bright future. ♥

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: personal, ibs, story

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here