Fennel? Soy? Some food controveries in the Low FODMAPs diet - Diet - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Fennel? Soy? Some food controveries in the Low FODMAPs diet

fodmap low fodmap diet fennel soy beans

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alyeska Martinez

Alyeska Martinez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

Advertisement

Hey everyone,

I've got a few questions about the low FODMAP diet I'm hoping someone can answer.

1) Fennel is on the don't-eat list because it's a fructan, but it's marketed as being great for IBS because it reduces bloating and gas. What are your experiences?

2) Soy is a legume, but soy milk is on the safe list. I consume soy milk regularly, not sure if I should stop.

3) I've seen green beans on the safe and unsafe lists. I think I'm reacting to them but I'm unsure. Are they galactans?

Thanks for any responses!

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

1.  Fennel the vegetable is what I think is not allowed.  Fennel for IBS/Gas/Bloating is the SEEDS.  a 1/2 cup of veggie may be a differnet thing that a teaspoon of seeds chewed or brewed into a tea even if you assumed the seeds had everything in them the veggie had, and the likely do not.

2.  Soy may depend on how it is processed, and what additives there are.  Most people seem to be doing almond or rice milk. If you are doing fine on the fodmap diet with the soy milk you may not need to change that.  If you are not getting good results you may want to try a different milk.

3.  Even if a food is on every single safe list, it may bother you, specifically.  Usually green beans are safe because the beans aren't fully developed and packed with the gassy sugars, yet.  Most of what you are eating is the pod.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 IndianRopeTrick

IndianRopeTrick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

@aleyska - are you using any guide to plan your FODMAP diet ? I am reading "Fast Tract Digestion IBS: Science-based Diet to Treat and Prevent IBS and SIBO without Drugs or Antibiotics" now to look for some clues. Hopefully, I will get some answers now. 

Which green beans are you talking about ? I tried some and they seem to be fine for me. Don't remember having any gas though.

IBS Free after about 8 years ! Now, I am living with a small Hiatal hernia and fixing my sleep problems. Not too bad.

#4 Alyeska Martinez

Alyeska Martinez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

1.  Fennel the vegetable is what I think is not allowed.  Fennel for IBS/Gas/Bloating is the SEEDS.  a 1/2 cup of veggie may be a differnet thing that a teaspoon of seeds chewed or brewed into a tea even if you assumed the seeds had everything in them the veggie had, and the likely do not.

2.  Soy may depend on how it is processed, and what additives there are.  Most people seem to be doing almond or rice milk. If you are doing fine on the fodmap diet with the soy milk you may not need to change that.  If you are not getting good results you may want to try a different milk.

3.  Even if a food is on every single safe list, it may bother you, specifically.  Usually green beans are safe because the beans aren't fully developed and packed with the gassy sugars, yet.  Most of what you are eating is the pod.

Thank you Kathleen! This is very helpful.

#5 Alyeska Martinez

Alyeska Martinez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

@aleyska - are you using any guide to plan your FODMAP diet ? I am reading "Fast Tract Digestion IBS: Science-based Diet to Treat and Prevent IBS and SIBO without Drugs or Antibiotics" now to look for some clues. Hopefully, I will get some answers now. 

Which green beans are you talking about ? I tried some and they seem to be fine for me. Don't remember having any gas though.

I'm really not great at the planning part. I was for a while and sort of fell off the wagon, and now I'm trying to get back. That book sounds useful, I'll have to look for it. The only green beans I know of are also called string beans.

#6 IndianRopeTrick

IndianRopeTrick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

I'm really not great at the planning part. I was for a while and sort of fell off the wagon, and now I'm trying to get back. That book sounds useful, I'll have to look for it. The only green beans I know of are also called string beans.

Thanks. Thats the one I ate. Never gave me any problems.

IBS Free after about 8 years ! Now, I am living with a small Hiatal hernia and fixing my sleep problems. Not too bad.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fodmap, low fodmap, diet, fennel, soy, beans

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here