Constipation no Matter what I do - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Constipation no Matter what I do

constipation pain stomach constipation pain

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Stephanie Kay Shockley

Stephanie Kay Shockley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

Advertisement

No matter what I do I keep having constipation problems. I have problems passing my stools no matter what. I've tried everything too from:

-Exercise

-Laxatives

-Special Diets

-Eating tons of fiber foods

-Special Supplements for Fiber

-Keeping clean

-Doing things to not stress

But still I have problems. Yes, I do get outside and walk a lot. I think I've got IBS-C but I've been to tons of doctors trying to figure out what's up and they can't find anything wrong with me. They think it's all in my head. It's not! Otherwise all this stuff I've tried would of helped me. I've even told my  doctor that I think I've got IBS-C and even stated proven facts that I have it, but he refuses to send me for testing for it, or prescript me any medicine for it. What can I do about this? Over the counter stuff for IBS-C doesn't seem to be working for me.

#2 Destinie

Destinie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

I have similar issues but my current Doctor is very proactive. Even though you've seen tons of doctors it sounds like maybe you should get a second opinion. If he doesn't want to test you or try any medications it sounds like it's time to find someone who will take your concerns more seriously, IMO.

#3 Stephanie Kay Shockley

Stephanie Kay Shockley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

I've done that. I've been to see tons of doctors and they all come to the same concussion.

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

If you are having issues with straining too long (and the wont test you for pelvic floor issues) then see if doing the feet on a stool thing so you are at more of a squat angle than a sitting angle helps you be able to go.

Or is it that you just don't ever need to go.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#5 Stephanie Kay Shockley

Stephanie Kay Shockley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

I don't have a stool.

#6 bowelboy

bowelboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

Do yourself a favor: go buy some coconut water.

I have the EXACT same problem and have tried everything.  After years of suffering, I finally found something that actually works.

I have been regularly having soft, easy to pass bowel movements several times a day, usually 1 hour after drinking a regular 16 oz. bottle of coconut water.  I'm not sure if the brand matters, but I use "Taste Nirvana" found on Amazon here: 

http://www.amazon.co...s=coconut water

It seems to lubricate and soften the stool, while causing a contraction in the bowels.  I don't know if this is good to use long term, but I'm at the point where I really don't care anymore.  Before ordering so much, try going to your local grocery store and pick up a bottle and see if it works.  Might be the best $5 bucks you ever spent!  Actually, buy two, and chug them for good measure.

Make sure it's strong tasting.  A lot of brands are watered down, which may or may not work (as a laxative).  I didn't like the taste at first but have grown to love it.

#7 jaidev

jaidev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:21 AM

Did you take many water? Sometimes though you eat lots of fiber and exercise daily but you lack of taking water. You can also suffer constipation.

#8 Tudo

Tudo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

Ask your doc for a trial of linzess or amitiza.

#9 Stephanie Kay Shockley

Stephanie Kay Shockley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:53 PM

I've now been taking Linzess for my IBS. I went to a doctor a few years ago. He told me I have IBS-C and I've been taking Linzess ever since. It's worked some but I still have some issues with IBS.

#10 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13111 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 07:49 AM

what sort of issues are you having? are you having problems with getting stool out?  do you have to strain?

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#11 Stephanie Kay Shockley

Stephanie Kay Shockley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:37 AM

what sort of issues are you having? are you having problems with getting stool out?  do you have to strain?

I go sometimes for a whole week without going at all. Then it all builds up and my stomach bloats up badly by the time I do go and then I'm straining and having awful gas pains.

#12 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13111 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:37 AM

so even though you're on linzess, you still sometimes go for a whole week without going at all?  that's not good.  sounds like linzess isn't working well for you if that is happening.  have you told your doc about this?  there are other constipation meds your  doc can prescribe for you, including a new med called Motegrity (procalopride) .  it works differently from linzess--it's a prokinetic.  and i do hope you have a good gastroenterologist who is helping you with all this.

really, it's never a good idea to let yourself get backed up for a whole week.  if you don't have a bm after three or four days of not going, it's best to do a clean out (enemas, stimulant laxatives etc--whatever it takes)  or you could develop an impaction or worse yet, an obstruction. 

it also would be good if your gastro doc would order some tests for you to find out if you have more going on than ibs-c.  getting backed up for a week could mean you have colonic inertia.  the sitz marker test will dx that.   and like Kathleen mentioned above, a pelvic floor test --defecography, anal manometry--would be handy to have, too.  these tests dx pelvic floor dysfunction and other outlet problems. 

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: constipation, pain, stomach, constipation pain

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here