New to ibs worried about colon cancer - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

New to ibs worried about colon cancer

Ibs Bloody stool Colon cancer Weight loss

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Elpolloloco

Elpolloloco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

Advertisement
Hello , before I begin I would just like to say that I applaud everyone who admin this site and frequently post and respond to others. Just by reading other posts I have calmed my worry down a bit to see I am not alone or far from it and share a lot of symptoms with others . A little back round on myself I am 30 years old have had stomach issues my whole life , suffer from post traumatic stress disorder and am definitely a hypochondriac . No family history of cancer . For about 3 months I have battled with a lot of stomach issues that I have not had before it started with very bad bloating and stomach pain , had one episode of black stool , which a doctor thought I had an ulcer , was given a ppi took it for a month resolved it , went for an upper g.i was all clear , bloating has settled but stomach problems continue . I was very worried because I began to lose weight and was having days with little to no bowel movements to days of 3 loose bowel movements , I associated my weight loss to being afraid to eat because of bloating I suffered from , stress and slight change of diet , I dropped about 10 pounds since November . Doctor suspects ibs . But I don't trust people that easily , the other day I had a bm and had blood streak on it bright red and had some on tip and on toilet paper . I've had boughts of this bunch of times in my life some worse than others but never paid attention to it because I figured just had some hemmys or strained . But now my hypochondria is kicking in , reading that colon cancer symptoms mimic ibs , plus my weight loss and blood on stool , has me freaking out , sometimes my bm has mucus sometimes I pass perfect stool . Was wondering if anyone can give me piece of mind . Thank you

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

Colon cancer is very rare in anyone under 50.  Often the blood is not obvious (need a stool test to find it) and many times the person doesn't know anything is wrong until they get a regular screening test for it.

IBS always causes lots of obvious symptoms and most commonly starts before middle age.

Bright red blood on the paper or on the surface of the stool is almost always from a hemorrhoid (and internal ones you may not know you have until they bleed a bit).

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Elpolloloco

Elpolloloco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

Thank you Kathleen you have been the ones who's post I have read most of my time on site , I would like to commend you on how many people like myself who worry excessively especially when symptoms are present . Being a border line hypochondriac I tend to let symptoms and worry take over my life any piece of mind does help . Very much appreciated .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ibs, Bloody stool, Colon cancer, Weight loss

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here