Fantastic Help for IBS-D- called Diarsoothe - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Fantastic Help for IBS-D- called Diarsoothe

ibs-d diarrhea help ibd e-coli

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 happymommmy

happymommmy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

Advertisement

A wonderful help for diarrhea, whether induced by e-coli, ibd, colitis, or ibs-d, is something called Diarsoothe. It's at amazon. Completely stops diarrhea, colon spasms, cramps. Works quickly. It's very tart, so you can sweeten. It's a remedy that was also used for cholera victims, also used for dysentery in varied countries. Resolves e-coli in 1-2 days. What a blessing!!

#2 quarky

quarky

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:01 AM

What are the ingredients? Can you buy it, or any equivalent, in the UK?

#3 happymommmy

happymommmy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

It's a base of berry concentrate. You would have to google it to see if its in the UK- I know it's in the US at amazon, and health food stores.

#4 marko001

marko001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

If your symptoms can be treated with berry concentrate, it's unlikely that you have IBS.

#5 happymommmy

happymommmy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

Well, not as you think. It's highly concentrated, and the Diarsoothe worked for cholera victims, e-coli, and yes, even ibs-d, for a lot of people. Yes, I can see it sounds way too simple, but Cherry concentrate works for gout, elderberry concentrate works for bronchial and respiratory issues. Who'd guess....

#6 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

There used to be a product in Canada and th UK called Dr Fowler's Wild Strawberry Extract that was made from berries. It was one of the best diarrhea treatments ever. It is long gone now, the recipe was replaced. Very unfortunate.

Strangely enough, up until two weeks ago I had not heard of Diarsoothe, but have now come across it multiple times in recent searches on IBS.

Fowlers was a strong astringent and that is what made it so effective. If Diarsoothe is similar, it is a winner - and I want it.  Especially if it is 100% natural like Fowler's was.

#7 PD85

PD85

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:03 AM

There used to be a product in Canada and th UK called Dr Fowler's Wild Strawberry Extract that was made from berries. It was one of the best diarrhea treatments ever. It is long gone now, the recipe was replaced. Very unfortunate.

Strangely enough, up until two weeks ago I had not heard of Diarsoothe, but have now come across it multiple times in recent searches on IBS.

Fowlers was a strong astringent and that is what made it so effective. If Diarsoothe is similar, it is a winner - and I want it.  Especially if it is 100% natural like Fowler's was.

The reason Fowler's worked for some people was because it contained a substance called attapulgite. 

A quick google search turns up their main website which lists a phone # you can call to purchase some.

"I could be wrong about everything." -Me

#8 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:02 AM

I think the attapulgite is/was the more recent formulation.

I had some a long time ago and it isn't the berries, it is the wild strawberry plant.  I'm not sure, but I think the main effective ingredient was the horrendous taste as I think my body would heal anything in 4 hours not to take another dose. :)

• Jeffrey Roberts likes this
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#9 happymommmy

happymommmy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

Judging by the diarsoothe customer reviews on Amazon, it looks pretty effective. I remember taking a chance on a product for headaches from Amazon, as the ratings were high. It was a "natural" product, and it worked great.  So tough when doctors prescribe what does NOT work, so much time and money spent... Glad to have some natural remedies.

#10 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

The reason Fowler's worked for some people was because it contained a substance called attapulgite. 

A quick google search turns up their main website which lists a phone # you can call to purchase some.

That is not correct....the original formulation was 100% Wild Strawberry Extract. When the brand was bought, they changed the formulation to attapulgite. Google it as Dr. Fowler's Wild Strawberry Extract and you will see hundreds of hits of the old glass bottle with the watery brown syrup in it. Trust me on  this one. My parents and grand parents used it for years, and so did I until about ten years ago when they changed it. The glass bottle is now plastic, and the liquid now resembles Pepto and it no longer contains the strawberry extract.  I wish it was still available. There is another strawberry extract that I found online. I will be ordering it and will share  my experience with the good folks here.

#11 By_the_way

By_the_way

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

Are you in any way involved in the sale of this product?

Im just skeptical as most of your posts mention this product. (apologies in advance if you are a genuine sufferer) 

#12 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

I think the attapulgite is/was the more recent formulation.

I had some a long time ago and it isn't the berries, it is the wild strawberry plant.  I'm not sure, but I think the main effective ingredient was the horrendous taste as I think my body would heal anything in 4 hours not to take another dose. smile.png

Kathleen you are correct. The taste was beyond horrible, it was the Buckley's of the diarrhea world.  You could immediately feel the astringent effect on your tongue though.  Here is the info from an old advertisement:

In the 1900s, Dr. Fowler's Extract of Wild Strawberry was a very popular medicine: "Dr. Fowler's Exract of Wild Strawberry instantly relieves pain, is astringent and soothing to the irritated bowels, has a stimulating action on the weakened system and is a powerful disinfectant of the whole intestinal tract. For half a century Dr. Fowler's Extract of Wild Strawberry has been recognized as the safest and best remedy for diarrhea, dysentery, cramps, colic, summer complaint, cholera morbus, cholera infantum and all fluxes of the bowels of infants or adults." It could be bought in general stores. It cost about 25 cents.

#13 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

My Mom bought a bottle of that stuff back from Canada.  Brother and I wondered how something that tasted as good as a strawberry could taste so terrible when extracted.

The bottle said it was the strawberry plant, not the berries and then things made a lot more sense.

Ph.D in Biology

#14 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

My Mom bought a bottle of that stuff back from Canada.  Brother and I wondered how something that tasted as good as a strawberry could taste so terrible when extracted.

The bottle said it was the strawberry plant, not the berries and then things made a lot more sense.

Do you recall if you found it effective?  I know we sure did. I have also come across some research that shows how these extracts cleanse bad bacteria from your system as well. Of course I cannot find the link but it was a legitimate study.

#15 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

Well it wasn't for IBS, it was probably a stomach bug (or something in a meal that didn't agree with me) and sometimes it is hard to know if you'd be better in the same amount of time (as I have been other times).

I still wonder if I got myself well just to avoid the second dose. smile.png

Ph.D in Biology

#16 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

Kathleen, do you have any knowledge of this Diarsoothe?

#17 happymommmy

happymommmy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:37 PM

Yes, Colt- I am an ibs-conqueror. No offense taken to your question. I comment about a lot of things- things that work. I'm an advocate of colloidal silver, magnesium, diarsoothe, and aloe-vera.

• Colt likes this

#18 Colt

Colt

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

Yes, Colt- I am an ibs-conqueror. No offense taken to your question. I comment about a lot of things- things that work. I'm an advocate of colloidal silver, magnesium, diarsoothe, and aloe-vera.

Happymommy...I am glad you are better.  I did not ask you a question though, I think you may have me confused with BY_THE_WAY.

Anyhow, can you please tell me more about your regiment?  Especially the Magnesium part, because I always thought Magnesium caused D.

Thanks in advance and congrats on your success!

#19 bushja1

bushja1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

Can this be used to prevent diarrhea?   I bought some,   but right now I have problems with excess gas and going too often , but not really diarrhea.    Has anyone tried this as a preventative?

#20 kat_hy

kat_hy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:50 AM

@happymommy - Are you supposed to take it to prevent D when it is happening or take it kind of like a vitamin supplement daily?

I will be buying and trying this out and post my results on here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs-d, diarrhea help, ibd, e-coli

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here