intestinal spasms - Women's Health Issues - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

intestinal spasms

spasm

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lynae Eakett Greene

Lynae Eakett Greene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

Advertisement

Hello, I was diagnosed with IBS almost 5 years ago. I've never taken anything for it, and mostly managing my stress and being careful to avoid spicy foods is as far as I've gotten. I've always had these sensations, like a muscle twitching in my abdomen, they started in early 2009. Some days I can get several, and sometimes I can go for a week or more without any. Since I had my daughter the sensation has changed from being the twitching feeling to more like a gentle kick. But it has always been random. And 99% of the time never in the same spot repeatedly. But in the last 2-3 weeks I have had all my "spasms" in the same spot. (the doctor told me that the sensations were my intestines having muscle spasms) And they tend to repeat anywhere from 3 spasms in a few seconds to 10 over a couple of minutes. It's happened 4 times, twice in the last 24 hours. Last night around 1 am, and now this morning it woke me up. But this time it felt like it was spasming towards my back instead of towards my front. It's all in the lower right area of my abdomen. Any ideas what could be going on? I've recently reconciled with my husband, but he is in the US. We spent three weeks together Nov/Dec 2013. But I've had two cycles since then. 

#2 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

Nothing sinister is going on.  Many IBS'ers experience visceral hypersensitivity.  Most folks don't feel this going on... but many of us can.  It doesn't mean anything is wrong... It's probably just normal digestion happening and we can feel some of it.  Please don't let it worry you.  

Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spasm

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here