Psyllium - worse instead of better :( - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Psyllium - worse instead of better :(

psyllium ibs-c constipation help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alyeska Martinez

Alyeska Martinez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

Advertisement

I stupidly thought I would try something different for my chronic constipation, even though fiber hasn't worked for me in the past.

I read so much great stuff about psyllium for IBS, I was optimistic.

This morning I took 1 teaspoon in 8 oz of water. Around noon I sprinkled some (barely a teaspoon, max) into my oatmeal. I drank plenty of water.

This afternoon my IBS has been WAY worse. I'm bloated, rumbling tummy, and keep feeling the urge for a BM but can't go :(

Am I the only one this miracle supplement doesn't work for?

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

Where did you read psyllium is universally perfect for everyone?

While it helps some IBSers many cannot tolerate fodmaps in the diet and psyllium is highly fermentable.  Doesn't matter if the fodmap is a fermentable carb in a food or in a supplement.

• IndianRopeTrick likes this
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 IndianRopeTrick

IndianRopeTrick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

I don't use fiber supplements. I eat only oats, veggies, whole grains and a little bit of white meat. I don't eat bread, cookies etc. I do light exercise daily. After doing this for 2 months, so far I am okay-ish. I had a flare up and loss of sleep today. Lets see how the remaining days go.

Maybe you should try to find the fiber that works and use it regularly for 2-3 months.

IBS Free after about 8 years ! Now, I am living with a small Hiatal hernia and fixing my sleep problems. Not too bad.

#4 Ibby

Ibby

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

I was told by my GI that if you're taking psyllium for constipation to mix it in "12" ozs of water instead of 8 ozs.  I found the larger the dose of psyllium the more constipated I got plus I got fissures which is very painful.   I cut my dose to approx.  3/4 tsp in a.m. & p.m. in 12 ozs of water & it helps some.

#5 bbrad_98

bbrad_98

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

I second drinking lots of water with psyllium. I drink at least 16 oz with a heaping teaspoon. Also you may just be someone that psyllium does not help. Every body is different and finding what works for you takes time and experimenting with different things.

#6 Alyeska Martinez

Alyeska Martinez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

Thanks everyone! I was frustrated because I read so many good things, but I have to accept that nothing is a miracle cure that works for everyone.

#7 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

While there is no one thing that is the miracle cure for everyone all the time, there usually is something that works for just about everyone, so keep looking as you may find what works for you.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: psyllium, ibs-c, constipation, help

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here