Anyone been to Southeast Asia? - Traveling with a Health Condition - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Anyone been to Southeast Asia?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 taro

taro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

Advertisement

I really want to go backpacking through SE Asia for about 1-2 months as a graduation trip. I have very manageable IBS-D, it comes and goes but overall if I watch what I eat I'm mostly fine. I've already been able to backpack through Europe and travel to Mexico and was okay, of course I got sick from time to time but overall it never kept me from enjoying the trip. I know food quality standards in Asia aren't the best; so I'm really worried about getting sick to the point of never being able to leave the hostel and not being able to enjoy the trip.. I've also heard toilets are not places you want to spend time in in Asia!!

Have any of you traveled to SE Asia? How was it? How did you manage the food & traveling with IBS?

#2 CaptSlow

CaptSlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:17 PM

It's not quite SE Asia, but I've been to Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan. Being first world countries, all of them have the same sort of facilities (or better) than the US or Canada. Any train above a subway will have a restroom onboard, and even some of the long-haul buses have restrooms. I've never been a picky eater, so I ate what the locals ate, and never had an issue. In the few times I had sudden urges, my local friends over there were very understanding, and helped me find a restroom. I guess it would have been much more difficult if I didn't have local contacts in each country that knew the area and could readily translate, but even when I ventured out by myself, I was able to find clean, western-style restrooms at all major transit centers.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here