What diet while taking Rifaximin and Neomycine for SIBO - Constipation Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

What diet while taking Rifaximin and Neomycine for SIBO

SIBO IBS-C constipation rifaximin neomycine diet

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Perseus

Perseus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

Advertisement
Hi,

I've just started Rifaximin and Neomycin for constipating SIBO. My diet is usually ovo-lacto vegetarian though I eat very little fruit, no intentional soy, very rarely tofu. My diet isn't too clean or low fat.

Should I be eating my regular diet while taking Rifaximin and Neomycin in order to keep the bacteria active or move onto a vegetarian version of SCD or FODMAPS? I started eating gluten free a few days ago when I started the medication, but haven't implemented any other changes.

Also, should I be taking any supplement (Lactoferrin) to destroy bacteria biofilm or do antibiotics do that? Should I take L-Glutamine (to help heal my gut) during or after Rifaximin and Neomycine?

Thanks

• CanadianGuy likes this

#2 Perseus

Perseus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

I forgot to add: I suspect I'm lactose intolerant, but haven't been able to give up milk, especially in coffee. Burping starts with my first sip of coffee when it's at it's worst. I'm very burpy in the morning and gassy at night.  I've also been eating more sugar (and carbs) than I should. Especially right before going on antibiotics I had a lot of frosted cake (not gluten free). I started having die off symptoms about 22 hours after my first Rifaximin dose right before I added Neomycin. The die off lasted about 8 hours, but I've not experienced anything like it since. I wonder if it was due to my cake binge the previous day and if I should now purposely add sugar?

• CanadianGuy likes this

#3 hayley3

hayley3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

I drink cream in my coffee.  You can buy lactaid milk though which is lactose free at Walmart..and it's really just plain milk that they've removed the lactose with an enzyme powder.  It tastes the same. 

I read to eat starchy/sugary stuff to bring the bacteria in full force and that's what I did.  I don't know but it didn't seem to help me.  I didn't go crazy or anything but it was like a vacation to eat and not be sick with Gerd, or feeling unwell, or having migraines, etc.

Cheryl

#4 Perseus

Perseus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for your reply. Did you take Rifaximin and Neomycin and it helped during, but not once you stopped taking it?

I really love (whole) milk and have tried lactose free milk, but find it too sweet, but cream might be better. I'll try it - thanks. I've also had GERD in the past and elevated the head of the bed 4-6" - it really helped.

#5 Perseus

Perseus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

Anyone who's been on Rifaximin and Neomycin and it's helped (or not), please can you tell me about your diet while on it? Maybe my screen name is too hopeful/misleading.

More information. I also have Hashimoto's/Hypothyroid. I've probably been under medicated for most of the five years I've that been on thyroid medication - both T3 and T4. My body doesn't convert T4 well and my TSH has been suppressed since I started T3, but I'm still constipated (and have other hypo symptoms). I know this isn't a thyroid board, but some more information might help.

I also have quite a few nutritional deficiencies. I'm deficient in almost all nutrients checked except calcium, magnesium and vitamin C, but sometimes I take magnesium before bed in order to have a bowel movement. I'm deficient in D, B12, B6, Copper and one time Sodium. Sodium and Zinc are currently low, but not deficient. Usually my Iron is low, but I'm not told to supplement. It was low in November, but I didn't supplement and it's high in April. My doctor thinks the high iron might might be a lab error, but didn't have me retested. I've read that Copper deficiency is very rare, but I've been deficient every time it's tested. Same goes for D and B12. April's the first time B6 has been tested. This also surprised me since I eat potatoes almost everyday and other B6 rich foods. B6 is what finally made my doctor concerned about deficiencies. I went home and researched liver and came across SIBO. I honestly thought my constipation was a symptom of Hypothyroid. For a long time I've suspected floating stools (they always float) was do to some malabsorption of fat I thought and that everything else was stress/diet related. I probably eat too many friend foods (but use mainly - 90% olive oil).

BTW,  I'm currently not constipated. I'm having diarrhea at night and in the morning. I'm sure Neomycin is the reason for it. I've also been burping less than usual. Though it's still worse first thing in the morning with coffee with milk. I've reduced my coffee to one cup today and that may have helped. My throat has been a little sore and I've just realized that it may be due to acid reflux. I'm also not too gassy at night anymore, but my stomach still hurts, especially when I'm stressed which seems to be all the time! I'm still getting pustules on my face (pustules and possibly Rosacea)  started this past January.

So, besides, going GF, going from 2 cups to one cup of coffee with milk, and not eating after 8pm anymore. I've not changed anything. I'm wondering if I should intentionally eat sugary foods. Which I've been craving badly. Yesterday I had raisins, but really wanted cake.

#6 Nojokeibs

Nojokeibs

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

I don't know very much about the drugs you are taking, but I would definitely try to avoid FODMAPS while on any treatment for SIBO, and would not take probiotics until after the treatment was complete.  Even then, I would probably use an enema delivery of the probiotics to make sure no live bacteria got into my small intestine.  Yogurt is fine, but be cautious at first. 

There are some theories that the small intestine benefits from Saccharomycetes cereviciae (some sources say: var. boulardii) which helps to crowd out Candida, so you might consider taking that probiotic by mouth.  Those sugar-yeasts are naturally found on all grapes, so you could save some money by eating grapes if you can stand having that much sugar and a little bloating (it should not be very much bloating).  

Just don't take probiotics until after the drugs are done.  It would be futile. 

The cravings of sugar might be reduced by chromium picolinate 500 mcg at least.  It's a popular diet supplement that has a cool side effect of reducing sugar cravings.  

Ever been to the Museum of Medical Oddities in Philadelphia, PA?  My picture is from there.  That's the guy with the megacolon.  I suppose he lived before surgery could help him.  His actual colon is there too, thick as my leg.  

----

My History in Brief

#7 Perseus

Perseus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:22 PM

Thanks Nojoke,

I've tried probiotics in the past, before I ever suspected SIBO or knew of it and I always got pustules on my face - immedietly. So, I wasn't going to take any probiotics. I had otherwise nice skin, but that's too has been changing. I won't avoid them in foods though.

I was leaning toward SCD rather than FODMAPS since there seems to be more for me to eat with that diet, other than potatoes which I love. I've also thought about adding bone broth, but that might be fairly difficult for me to do. I've been a vegetarian for 35 years. However, I want to get better so...

Thank you again!

#8 HappilyHealing

HappilyHealing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

I was looking for an answer to this question as well, as I want to be sure that the bacteria won't be going into hibernation while on the antibiotics. Not sure if we're allowed to post links to other websites (I'm new to the forum thing), but I stumbled upon a site called IBS- Free at Last, which had an article outlining the do's and don'ts of treating SIBO. The author actually attended the big SIBO Symposium held at the National College of Naturopathic Medicine where Mark Pimentel and Allison Siebecker were two of the keynote speakers. She compiled these tips based on the information she learned at the symposium. One of the don'ts they mentioned was:

"Don't stay on a low-FODMAP diet during antibiotic treatment for SIBO. Dr. Pimental observes the treatment is more successful if bacterial activity is high, with plenty of fermentable carbohydrates around".

That said, I've been incorporating some sugary/high fodmap foods during my Xifaxan treatment (which has been very easy, as my sugar cravings have been through the roof from the day I began Xifaxan), but also trying to consume my normal healthy foods as well (eggs, salmon, carrots, cucumbers, ginger, etc). I think balance is probably the best way to go in this situation. I'll be resuming a strict low-fodmap/SCD regimen once I've finished up with the antibiotic. I've also continued to take my normal dose of glutamine (5 grams, 2-3X's per day) during Xifaxan, as it's really been helping my energy levels.

Hope this helps!

• CanadianGuy and HARRY OH like this

#9 Perseus

Perseus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:49 PM

Thanks so much HappyHealing, that helps a lot!

#10 CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

I'm glad I found this thread. How did the course of antibiotics work in the end? What did you do once it was over? Did the results, if any, last?

#11 Frenchneedyou

Frenchneedyou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:42 AM

up

#12 jza

jza

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:32 AM

I have been on antibiotics a few different times for SIBO treatment and was always told by my doctors NOT to follow low FODMAP or any other restrictive diets while on the antibiotics.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SIBO, IBS-C, constipation, rifaximin, neomycine, diet

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here