CITRUCEL (methylcellulose) helps - but moving to Europe soon. ALTERNATIVE? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

CITRUCEL (methylcellulose) helps - but moving to Europe soon. ALTERNATIVE?

citrucel fiber supplement alternative equivalent europe

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 johnkramer

johnkramer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

Advertisement

Hi everyone,

I have IBS, which, for me, mostly means that, if I don't take any supplements, I usually don't have a bowel movement in the morning, but still kind of feel "the pressure" (but not enough to go and have a satisfying BM). This leads me into a bad anxiety vicious circle where I am then afraid to leave the house, because I feel that I might have to go any minute without access to a toilet. So it kind of alternates between constipation and (stress-induced) diarrhea.

After visiting many doctors and trying lots of supplements, I finally found Citrucel here in the US (I tried other types of fiber before, but they cause bloating/pain, and didn't help much either). I lived in Europe until summer last year. After taking Citrucel for just a few days (I've been taking it for a few months now), I had good results with it, in that, when I take two large heaping spoons in the evening and drink coffee in the morning, I am *very* regular, and the BM is mostly satisfying. For some events, for example a social gathering in a different city to which we went by bus recently, I still pop 4mg of Loperamide (Imodium) and I'm mostly fine. I guess the Loperamide is half-actually-working, half-placebo in that it helps calm me down - add the fact that I have the knowledge in the back of my head that I had a good BM in the morning (and thus am "empty", or mostly) and I'm pretty fine.

Now the problem: in August, I will move back to Europe and haven't been able to find a fiber supplement equivalent to Citrucel. Methylcellulose does not seem to be marketed as a fiber supplement and I don't want to go back to psyllium husk or something. You can order Citrucel on Amazon, but the mark-up and shipping costs are, of course, ridiculous.

So, if anyone know of a methylcellulose fiber supplement sold in (western) Europe, I should be most grateful if you could point me to that brand.

Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: citrucel, fiber, supplement, alternative, equivalent, europe

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here