Need help! Question about IBS, SIBO and Flagyl..... - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Need help! Question about IBS, SIBO and Flagyl.....

ibs sibo pain diarrhea constipation flagyl help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gissy84

Gissy84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

Advertisement

Hi everyone. I am a 29 yr old female who suffers from IBS both D and C, as well as SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), type 1 diabetes, lactose intolerance and slow digestion. <-- yeah its a lot of crap!!!!!!!  Ive had this struggle for about 3 yrs now and has literally taken over my life. Ive recently had to postpone school and quit my job because of my inconsistency. I have the two extremes of constipation or diarrhea. Ill be contipated for up to two weeks at times, and then ill finally go to the bathroom more than 7 times that day, sometimes more days. The worst part is the constant gas and flatulence!!!!!! Its horrible, to say the least. It is horrible smelling and the kind that you cannot hold, the silent and deadly kind. It sounds funny, and i try to stay positive, but the truth is that im reaching my boiling point. I cry myself to sleep every night because i want to be "normal". My social life has gone to ######, i can no longer plan because ultimately, my stomach will have the last word. Im lucky to have a bf who understands, but it hurts me that i cannot excel in school or work because of this problem.

I went to see a gastroenterologist about a month ago and he gave me a 10 day course of flagyl. Of course, i felt better than EVER while on it. No gas, no pain, no diarrhea, but a lot of constipation...i was constipated for 15 days, even though i felt awesome. Two weeks after i was done with the course, i started getting my symptoms back, slowl but surely, i am back at square one. I dont understand why i feel so amazing while on the pills but horrible after.

I have another 12 day supply of flagyl here at home from someone who didnt need it, and i was wondering if it may help taking those 12 days of flagy again or if it is too soon. It has been about 5 weeks since my last dose. Has anyone tried doing this before, has it worked?? I just need some relief, something that will change the way i feel ltely because i want to live life again. Thanks for reading and thanks for responsing!!!!  Good luck to everyone who is struggling with this as well!!!

#2 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

What else have you tried besides the Flagyl to manage your symptoms?  Have you taken any digestive enzymes or tried taking some gentle fiber... (I would think Citracel would be better than Metamucil for you.  And Citracel has pills so you don't have to use the powder mix.)?  As a general rule it isn't a good idea ever to take someone else's prescriptions.. ever.  ..... especially antibiotics.  If they are expired you can end up way more sick than you started.

Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 Gissy84

Gissy84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

What else have you tried besides the Flagyl to manage your symptoms?  Have you taken any digestive enzymes or tried taking some gentle fiber... (I would think Citracel would be better than Metamucil for you.  And Citracel has pills so you don't have to use the powder mix.)?  As a general rule it isn't a good idea ever to take someone else's prescriptions.. ever.  ..... especially antibiotics.  If they are expired you can end up way more sick than you started.

I take enzymes, very expensive ones too and nothing. Fiber I have not tried, but don think will get rid of everything, worth trying though. The pills are my Mom's, not even a month old, which is the only reason i considered taking it. Thanks for your input!

#4 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

I would try a probiotic.. a good one.  (Culturelle, Florastor, Sustenex etc..) And give it a good trial...think several weeks not several days.

Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#5 Gissy84

Gissy84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

I would try a probiotic.. a good one.  (Culturelle, Florastor, Sustenex etc..) And give it a good trial...think several weeks not several days.

I have as well :(  I took them for about 5 months and felt nothing. My Doctor also warned me not to take them when i have SIBO because it will make the problem worse. This sucks :*(

#6 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:04 AM

Have you seen this? http://www.siboinfo.com/diet.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs, sibo, pain, diarrhea, constipation, flagyl, help

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here