Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Biofeedback for fecal incontinence

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Jospah 
#1 ·
Has anyone done biofeedback for fecal incontinence? It was suggested to me by my gynecologist, but I'm not so sure I want to try it. I understand the concept - training your weakened pelvic muscles, similar to Kegel exercises - but the thought of them sticking something "up there" is extremely unappealing to me!
blush.png
Also, I'm embarrassed enough about my occasional incontinence I fear having an accident while going through this treatment.

If anyone has had this treatment, please let me know your experience and if you feel it was worth it. There is also the cost involved. My insurance said they will pay 80% after my deductible is met. Since my deductible is $750, that's a lot out of my pocket. If I knew for sure it would help, I'd be willing to bite the bullet on the cost. But, as many of us know, I've tried a lot of 'treatments' that didn't work.

Also, anyone who is dealing with fecal incontinence, I'd like your comments on how you deal with it, as far as work, shopping, relationships, life in general. I know it's a totally embarrassing topic, but hey if we can't talk about it here, where can we?!

Thanks in advance. Namaste.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been receiving electrical biofeedback stimulation at the Pelvic Floor Clinic of UCSF as treatment for fecal incontinence caused by a weak sphincter muscle. Before the treatment was recommended, I went thru extensive testing at this clinic to determine the cause of this problem.

I have had 5 treatments over the past 3 months and I am happy to report the treatments have been successful. the next step is that I will be trained to use a home electrical stimulator to the strength of the sphincter muscle.

While this home stimulator may be expensive, it is definitely worth it to be able to resume my regular life/activities etc.

Jospah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.