GERD and chest pains? - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

GERD and chest pains?

Chest pain chest pain GERD IBS Back Back pain

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dylan789

Dylan789

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Advertisement

So I am going to be very detailed here so bear with me lol. I am new to this site and I had a question about these pains that I am having in my chest. Last night I was in the hospital for what I thought was a heart attack but everything came back fine, the EKG blood tests and x-rays came back fine. But I have a pain my chest right in the center that will go through to my back and sometimes into my jaw it switch between the left and the right side but tends to stay on the left. Its like a stabbing aching dull pain all at once in very specific places. And it seems as though its difficult to breathe but they said my breathing was fine as well even though it feels hard to breathe if that makes sense? I have been diagnosed with IBS GERD and anxiety great mixes right haha. So are these pains caused by GERD or IBS or both? Or should I be worried about my heart? I am 20 years old male. 

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

GERD more than IBS, IBS usually only goes up to the lower chest and usually on the left or right side.

The esophagus (which can be where the pain of GERD is located) runs right up the center of the chest right next to the heart.

The pain nerves in the torso tend to be more regional than have the type of specificity you have in your hand nerves where pain may be very localized.

So pain in the chest (or abdomen) may be from one of several organs.  Pain in the chest  can make it feel hard to breath (GERD is something you have to account for when trying to diagnose asthma) and anxiety by itself can make it feel hard to breath.

Heart disease is pretty rare in 20 year old men and they've checked your heart out.  Unless you think your heart can find a way to lie on the tests. smile.png

It is pretty common for people with GERD to end up in the ER with a heart scare that turns out to "just" be the GERD.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Sweetpea80

Sweetpea80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

Dylan789 I know exactly what your talking about. I get the same symptoms. I been to the ER so many times thinking I was having a heart attack but everything comes back fine. I have GERD, Hiatal Hernia, IBS, and Esophagitis.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chest pain, chest, pain, GERD, IBS, Back, Back pain

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here