Yellow Stool and Constipation after supposed Gastroenteritis or mild Food Poisoning - Welcome! - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Yellow Stool and Constipation after supposed Gastroenteritis or mild Food Poisoning

constipationdiarrhoea diarrhea IBS irritable bowel syndrome Irritable Bowel Syndrome ibs yellow stool yellow diarrhoea yellow diarrhea

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HealthCurious123

HealthCurious123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:56 AM

Advertisement

Hello, Everyone!

I'm new to the forum, so I hope I've made as few 'mistakes' as possible.

My question:

Is constipation accompanied by yellow pellet stool, following supposed Gastroenteritis, a cause for concern?

History:

I'm a 22-year-old male with non-diagnosed anxiety (disorder?), in the sense that I'm always hyperactive and easy pray to worrying and ruminating frequently, and I've also had stress-induced IBS (and, later, also GERD) since I was 16 years old. At times of peace of mind, I can see my symptoms totally diminished as though I never had any sensitivity, but stressful periods always trouble me physically as well as psychologically.

I've started therapy since January 2014. Not taking any relevant medication. I'm also allergic to pet fur (moderately), dust (mildly) and have occasional mild -to-moderate hayfever (every other year or so). I drink regularly, but mostly (4 out of 6 times) in moderation (around 5 units per session, maybe less). 

Well, two days ago I woke up with general nausea without vomiting, after a night out. By as early as 14:00 midday, I started having fever (100.4F -38F) and even more upset stomach. I took regular doses of paracetamol (acetaminophen, 500mg, 2 pills every 6 hours) and the fever was at least stable ( a little better now and then, but never exceedingsaid figure). Approaching night, I had my first diarrhoea, probably the first BM of the day. It was watery, yellow-ish, and not much productive. 4 such BMs till morning of the next day, never woke me up (only fever did), and never felt the usual urgency that is characteristic of classic gastroenteritis. It was just that whenever I voided, it was as described. Also major loss of appetite and food aversions until late night.

However, Day 2 welcomed me with no fever AT ALL, that kept like that until night. Diarrhoea with every BM (very few of them) as Day 1 was present, but my stomach was a bit better (although a bit bloated too) and appetite slowly crept up. Now it's Day 3 and I'm feeling even stronger, as not real dehydration occured, but problem is that I have constipation and, come to think of it, my diarrhoea bouts the other days were also a bit 'forced', as well as being not much productive. I know I haven't been eating any fibers and that might explain constipation, but what really worries me is the persistent yellow color whenever I wipe, the pellets that are my BM now, and the really foul-smelling property that normally accompanies a diarrhoea. Note that the consistency is not watery any more.

Should I be worried? I'm a little hypochondriac, and imagine that during the first day I was afraid of appendicitis because it's a long-standing phobia of mine, even though I didn't have any profound pain anywhere (only muscle pain/weakness on the back of the head, and especially on my lower bak -midsection).

Can I start eating more normally? I'm a fierce coffee drinker, I habitually consume lots of fibers (although not too much) and am generally energetic. I miss being regular (which I wasn't the last week anyways!) and having normal BM.

Additional info that might help:

-I have no fever.

-I have better appetite.

-My IBS used to be diarrhoea-related in the past, but ever since I started therapy and my stress has been regulated through really rewarding sessions, I've had almost zero bouts, and whenever they occured it was more on the constipation side. That's a new  for me.

-GERD hasn't returned ever since I started therapy.

- The night before my symptoms I drank only 1.2 pints of beer, but ate kebab from a fast food restaurant I've never been before, and also asked for it to be REALLY SPICED UP.

-I usually take Zantac (Ranitidine) 150mg/pill for my GERD and Utlra Levure (Saccharomyces boulardii) 250mg/pill for IBS. I've been taking both during the last 2 days -the days of the symptoms.

-I was treated with Cefuroxime Axetil (500gm/pill twice a day for 7) for an ENT problem last month, with no apparent allergic reaction to penicillin.

- Although allergic to pets, spring and dust, I have never experience any food or drug allergies so far.

- I'm currently being treated with Budesonide Nasal for allergic rhinitis (seasonal) and Xyzal (levocetirizine 5ml, 1 pill before sleep) for allergic cough. I stopped this medication only on Day 1 of gastro symptoms, but have resumed therapy since I'm obviously recovering (?).

Thank you for your time in advance,

Health Curious  

PS Forgive any mistakes/errors of a linguistic nature, but English is actually my second language!

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

All stool starts out yellow (or green depending on what color your bile is).

You could have fewer of the bacteria that change the color to brown after the "clean out" from the diarrhea.  Or things could still be moving faster than you think even if the stool looks pellet like.

It isn't dangerous to have fewer of the color changing bacteria than usual, and they generally repopulate themselves.  Why all babies eventually get enough of them even if at the start their poop is always "baby poop gold" no matter how constipated they may be.

• HealthCurious123 likes this
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 HealthCurious123

HealthCurious123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

Update: Turns out I DO have watery, diarrhoea-like stool, only it doesn't feel that way, because it needs effort to..void.

#4 HealthCurious123

HealthCurious123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

All stool starts out yellow (or green depending on what color your bile is).

You could have fewer of the bacteria that change the color to brown after the "clean out" from the diarrhea.  Or things could still be moving faster than you think even if the stool looks pellet like.

It isn't dangerous to have fewer of the color changing bacteria than usual, and they generally repopulate themselves.  Why all babies eventually get enough of them even if at the start their poop is always "baby poop gold" no matter how constipated they may be.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Actually, I read something about that just this morning, but I also found out that it could be an indication of a gallbladder/bile-related problem.

Or could it be my liver or something? Lately I've been drinking almost every day (even though rarely more than 3units of alcohol) to 'make up' for the two weeks of abstinence due to my antibiotic treatment; student life and allbiggrin.png

But maybe I'm too young to already have a such problem!  (it goes without saying, however, that I completely refrain from alcohol now that I'm recovering from whatever it is I caught).

Should I be worried if this continues? Should I stick to any specific diet?

I gave in to temptation and ate EVERYTHING but BRAT today (Day3). Including coffee, a breakfast full of lactose and fiber (oatmeal with milk), and early lunch full of fiber as well (peas). No problems still, no cramps, no runs to the toilet, no further bloating. Nothing. Only the aforementioned problem but without added urgency or intensity.

#5 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

If you have a blocked gallbladder you will have clay colored (off-white) stools as none of the yellow can get into it.

It is supposed to start out yellow, not off-white.  (or green again depending on bile).

People who have no gall bladder and often who eat a high fat diet (and for them high fat may be normal fat for anyone else) may release WAY more bile than they can recycle.  Also people who have had some portion of the end of their small intestine (where you recycle SOME of the bile, but not enough to turn the stool off-white so no brown can be formed) may have excess bile dumped into the colon.

This can cause yellow diarrhea (because it moves faster than the bacteria turn it brown) but usually it is BURNING diarrhea.  Yellow fire of doom! smile.png  Because a little bile just gives you a nice color.  Too much bile is irritating.

Having too much bile in teh stool doesn't mean your liver isn't working right, just you release more bile than your body can recycle properly.  Now it happens in some people without surgery to remove the controlled release or the recycle parts.

FWIW, BRAT diet while good for generally healhy people reintroducing solid food after a few days of liquids only diet during an illness (or surgery recover) may be WAAY too much starch and fodmaps (from the toast, and whatever sweeteners get added to the applesaucs) for some people with IBS.

Be careful with Dr. Google.  A lot of how those consults go are full of medical myths, misinformation and stuff designed to make anyone anxious as heck over totally normal body phenonmenon.

Ph.D in Biology

#6 HealthCurious123

HealthCurious123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

Well, I guess I shouldn't worry, then! 

After all, I have no other symptoms indicating something's wrong (fever, nausea, urgency, bla, bla, bla).

Your post was very helpful and heartening!

Especially what you said about Dr. Google couldn't be more true! I principally consult medical sites (Mayo Clinic, Web MD are my favorite), but they, of course, do not (can not) offer personalized info, giving you general guidelines and perplexing/confusing/scaring those who might search 'too much' with a predisposition to get alarmed even without a reason.

I'm not experiencing burning diarrhea, fortunately enough! My worst experiences with bile are moderate, and usually more stomach-related (GERD). 

Only need a clarification:

"Now it happens in some people without surgery to remove the controlled release or the recycle parts."

Does this mean that one might have to undergo surgery in order to remove their gallbladder or something?

Should I be worried? Although I think that, as you said, too much bile should 'burn', which isn't the case with me.

Should it  get better in, say, a day or 3?

#7 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

No, not saying you need surgery.  You want to AVOID surgeries that remove the part of the small intestine that recycle the bile if you can avoid them. 

Also I would avoid the "well maybe it might be the gall bladder you don't really need it so we'll take it just in case maybe it might be a problem but we don't really have solid evidence to take it now, but the patient wants something done and this is relatively harmless, even if they might get post gall blader removal surgery diarrhea".

Sometimes the gall bladder really does need to be taken out, but if it is a "just in case" or "to be doing something, anything" type of situation, I'd leave it in.   Now sometimes it really is "gotta take it out now", but not all the time.

If the only thing going on is maybe you release a bit more bile than you recyle easily, then keep the innards away from the scalpel. 

Ph.D in Biology

#8 HealthCurious123

HealthCurious123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Wow, things are the same in Greece -if not worse.

My personal GP, whom I've been consulting the last 5 years at least, tells me that it is very common for doctors to suggest removal of tonsils, gallbladder -even appendix!- without any imminent danger present, because they are considered 'orgnas you don't really need'.  The ENT who checked me last time for my rhinitis told me to consider 'fixing' my nasal septum -another common 'advice' to 'put you to the ... table'. I will definitely not undergo any surgery without a reason! 

Well, thank you kindly for your time and help, 

Kathleen,

HC123

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: constipationdiarrhoea, diarrhea, IBS, irritable bowel syndrome, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, ibs, yellow stool, yellow diarrhoea, yellow diarrhea

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here