Is using Dulcolax weekly safe? - Page 2 - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Is using Dulcolax weekly safe?

dulcolax laxative laxative abuse ibs-c constipation

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12262 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

oh so sorry the two pills didn't work for you today.  good luck with the three and miralax. i've found taking an osmostic with a stimulant helps the stimulant work better and often means i don't have to take as much of the stimulant. but that's me--YMMV as they say...

oh yes i agree--the constant rotation is such a pain, isn't it.  

and i do  hope all that stress eases up for you and/or you can find a way to cope with it. meditation has helped me tremendously with all that, 

just a word of caution re cascara sagrada if anyone reading this is planning on trying that:

there are possible safety issues associated with cascara sagrada. so before taking it, it's a good idea to carefully research it, make your own decision  and of course ask your doctor about it.  both my gastros have no problem with me taking it but that's me.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#22 IndianRopeTrick

IndianRopeTrick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

I have 2-3 apples, 2 prunes, and 2-4 FiberOne bars a day (I find them effective, but I'm trying to wean off them); recently I've been having more bananas and avocados. I drink 6-9 cups of water a day, and run a mile a day. Should I be doing more? 

Wow ! That is way more than what I do in a day. What do you eat besides these things ?

IBS Free after about 8 years ! Now, I am living with a small Hiatal hernia and fixing my sleep problems. Not too bad.

#23 aesthetic

aesthetic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Wow ! That is way more than what I do in a day. What do you eat besides these things ?

I don't eat much else, I'm afraid. My stomach bloats pretty badly, so it's hard to fit in too much more. 

#24 IndianRopeTrick

IndianRopeTrick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

I don't eat much else, I'm afraid. My stomach bloats pretty badly, so it's hard to fit in too much more. 

I suggest that you try to reintroduce small amounts of three types of food into your diet in increasing quantity and see if it helps. 

Types of food - low flare up, medium, high

Amount of food - small, medium, large. 

Try each food in the 3 categories, increasing it by the amounts mentioned over 4-5 months. 

IBS Free after about 8 years ! Now, I am living with a small Hiatal hernia and fixing my sleep problems. Not too bad.

#25 marleyma

marleyma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

I use dolcolax weekly and I'm now up a dosage of 8 pills and it took 12 hours to kick in and still barely works but causes a ton of pain.. especially severe burning in lower left abdomen and back. I had a rectopexy 3+ years ago with colon resection which is when my constipation issues began. I really don't want to go to Dr but I'm starting to worry about this burning and how I can't keep taking so many laxatives forever. Any idea what this could be?

#26 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12262 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

oh dear--so sorry, marleyma, that you are going through all this.  

i'm sorry but i really don't know what the burning could be.  has taking 12 pills always caused burning for you or is this something new?  i do know that   dulcolax does cause cramping if you take it within an hour of any antacids or millk products. 

and yes, having to take so many laxatives is miserable. sometimes taking an osmotic laxative along with a stimulant reduces the need for taking lots of stimulants.  that's what i did.  i was able to get by with taking three dulcolax and also taking a capful of milk of magnesia  an hour later. 

do any of the Dr Schultz laxatives, like intestinal formula #1 or any of the others, work for you?  or senna or cascara sagrada?

good luck. i do hope you can find some relief from the misery.  take care.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#27 marleyma

marleyma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:05 AM

Hi annie- hope you are doing well. It used to work much quicker, like a one and done. Now it's drawn out and the burning last for days after. I have also been taking Dr Schultz max formula (4) once a week but that too is starting to lose effectiveness. I was going to start taking it everyday but feeling like this it just seems like a bad idea. It's draining and I feel like I'm coming to the end of my rope.

#28 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

Hi annie- hope you are doing well. It used to work much quicker, like a one and done. Now it's drawn out and the burning last for days after. I have also been taking Dr Schultz max formula (4) once a week but that too is starting to lose effectiveness. I was going to start taking it everyday but feeling like this it just seems like a bad idea. It's draining and I feel like I'm coming to the end of my rope.

Why does taking a pill every day that helps you go feel like a bad idea? You should go once a day, not once every few days. Even you're body is telling you that. 

#29 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12262 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

oh i'm so sorry about all this--that's terrible.

i don't know if this will help you or not but there's a new constipation med out called trulance (plecanatide).    it has helped some people. 

and yes, i do know exactly what you mean about all this being so draining and  feeling like you are coming to the end of your rope.  that's how i felt when i made the decision to have surgery..

maybe see your gastro doc and see if he has any ideas?

#30 marleyma

marleyma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

Thanks so much for your kind words as always Annie. I have been taking the Dr Schultz everyday and aloe and still nothing 3 days later so still waiting but as you know taking something and not going just makes you feel super horrible. I'm not sure what's going on. I'm currently going through a ton of big life changes so maybe it's the stress. Who knows! I'll keep doing it everyday and hopefully it works at some point!!

#31 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:34 PM

Thanks so much for your kind words as always Annie. I have been taking the Dr Schultz everyday and aloe and still nothing 3 days later so still waiting but as you know taking something and not going just makes you feel super horrible. I'm not sure what's going on. I'm currently going through a ton of big life changes so maybe it's the stress. Who knows! I'll keep doing it everyday and hopefully it works at some point!!

Marleyma, I came across this thread the other day....

http://www.ibsgroup..../273594-ostomy/

You haven't mentioned it lately (that I know of) but are you still having problems with rectal prolapse or no?

P.S. I know when I had really bad hemorrhoids - they were as bad as they get - it was hard to have BM's. 

#32 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12262 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

marleyma---oh no--three days and still nothing!  so very sorry to hear that.  and yes, what a miserable feeling that is!  utterly horrid.  i really feel for you.

whenever i got that backed up, i would do half a colonoscopy prep.  that's what my gastro doc told me to do.  that always worked although sometimes it would take a couple days for me to get everything out...

yes, you're right--stress can make C worse.   so sorry you're under so much stress right now.  that's always hard.  and you don't need being all backed up on top of the the stress.  just adds more stress.i do hope things get better for you soon. 

#33 marleyma

marleyma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

Hi flossy- as far as the prolapse, yes I still have it but it's almost the least of my worries. It is getting worse over time but it's not nearly as bad as the first one I had. Even when I had the first prolapse I was having very normal bms everyday.. Ooh the good old days!
Annie- thank you for the suggestion! I will most likely make a Dr appointment soon and see where it takes me.

#34 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12262 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:33 AM

good luck with your doctor appointment. i do  hope he/.she can help you.  keep us posted.. 

#35 ccoleman

ccoleman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:39 AM

I think, it is harmful - please put your health first and only do it when needed.

#36 StevieO

StevieO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:46 AM

All of my gasros have told me to stay away from allopathic laxatives as much as possible.

Have you tried eating foods with a lot of fiber in them, like Papaya, Collard greens, fenugreek leaves and Spinach? Eat these and consume at least 3 liters of water a day. If you need a supplement, go for an all natural fiber powder. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dulcolax, laxative, laxative abuse, ibs-c, constipation

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here