How far up is black? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

How far up is black?

blood bleeding colon

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mr.Wolf

Mr.Wolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

Advertisement

Just as a general question.

I was concerened about bleeding a while ago and i asked my GI about it. She informed me blood quickly turns to black tar very shourtly after being exposed to your degestive juice unless you have very bad D and it does have the time to turn black. My question is, when you have normal... well... normalish bms, how far up into your degestive track does bleeling have to occure for it be black? Does it depend? I know bright red and red are a sign of internal or external hemmies.

Let me know.

Thanks.

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

From the Merck Manual for Health Professionals

Melena is black, tarry stool and typically indicates upper GI bleeding, but bleeding from a source in the small bowel or right colon may also be the cause. About 100 to 200 mL of blood in the upper GI tract is required to cause melena, which may persist for several days after bleeding has ceased. Black stool that does not contain occult blood may result from ingestion of iron, bismuth, or various foods and should not be mistaken for melena.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blood, bleeding, colon

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here