Help! Need ideas for tolerable protein shakes - IBS Diarrhea (IBS-D) - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Help! Need ideas for tolerable protein shakes

Gluten whey sleep apnea liquid diet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SJM34

SJM34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Advertisement
Hi! At the end of august I am having jaw surgery to treat sleep apnea, for four weeks I'll have to be on a liquid/smoothie diet, and I have some good ideas for some fruit and peanut butter smoothies but I've been told to have at least one protein shake I can rely on to help curb hunger and keep my strength up.. I have a hard time with gluten and it seems whey, I used to work at a gym and I would try the two types we had there and they both caused stomach upset. Any ideas? Any brands that work well for you? I have about six weeks until my surgery date so I want to try a few before I'm in pain and recovering. Having some anxiety about the night I'll have to spend in the hospital, how do I explain to the nurse that no really let me get up and run to the throne if I need to..lol.. I'm hoping having the surgery and in turn getting better sleep will help with my ibs symptoms, I've been told to not expect it but I know that when I've had a particularly restless night my stomach is worse.. Thanks in advance for the help.. Any advice on surviving a hospital stay is welcome too!

#2 knothappy

knothappy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1198 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

Good luck with your surgery , hope it helps ibs I know if I have a bad sleeping night which is often , I get ibs the next day . I take ensure when I have a bout that lasts for days and i cannot eat ...make sure it is the original ensure. ...not all the new stuff with loads of fiber..for me fiber is evil.
knothappy

#3 zeroblue

zeroblue

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:01 AM

you can try a rice-based protein shake by sun warrior something like this: http://www.sunwarrio...an-natural.html

#4 SJM34

SJM34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:25 AM

Awesome thank you- I think I may try combining a rice based protein with a bit of ensure for the extra fiber, that sounds like a good plan, will report back :)

#5 Lorelei56

Lorelei56

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

I like the Nutribiotic brand Plain Rice Protein.  It has no added fiber or sugar.  It took me a long time to weed through all the other protein shakes that contained sugar, fiber, or milk products.

#6 ColinCharlie88

ColinCharlie88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

Having a hard time posting the link but if you google "natural weight gain shakes" a link for this site will come up www.scdlifestyle.com

#7 SJM34

SJM34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

Thank you! If I have trouble with the flavor/fiber I will try the plain.. I will have to be on a four week liquid diet post surgery so I'm sure I'll be fighting cravings and need some sugar and fiber, unless I can't tolerate it in which case I've now got a back up :) Charlie I'm not out for weight gain- ack :) thank you tho!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gluten, whey, sleep apnea, liquid diet

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here