Recently quit relying on laxatives? - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Recently quit relying on laxatives?

ibs-c ibsc constipation laxatives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 haley96

haley96

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Advertisement

Hello! So a little about me

• constipation issues started in January of this year out of nowhere (a week without a bowel movement then I would use a laxative and/or enema)
  • doctor suggested I go gluten free for a month to see if it helped
  • I tried to eat gluten after that month and although I have never had an issue with gluten, I can no longer eat it without getting a migraine and looking 9 months pregnant and feeling run down so now my diet is 100% gluten free
  • I used laxatives regularly (senna) until last week
  • now I'm going every other day but not much and I feel constantly bloated and I don't feel "empty" 

will this get better if I stay off of the laxatives? I had a CT scan and blood work done and everything came back excellent/no problems! my symptoms now are still constipated and severe constant bloating and stomach pain -_- I've tried paleo, vegan, etc. and nothing helps! now I just eat gluten free, take a probiotic, plenty of fiber, and plenty of water + daily exercise! any advice?

#2 Dreamcatcher32

Dreamcatcher32

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

Okay it sounds like I say this to everyone but when I spot it, I make sure to bring it up. Symptoms of not feeling 'empty' with bloating and stomach pain can indicate Pelvic Floor Dyssynergia, which is present in 50% of those with constipation. Getting this assessed is a huge pain. Most GI docs will ignore it, even motility docs will first give you a bunch of drugs before looking for it. So I would make a mental note on this and get it checked out if your problems persist despite trying everything under the sun! Also, to be properly assessed you'll need to find a women's urology clinic that specifically works with Pelvic Floor Dyssynergia. They may also refer to it as anisums or obstructed defecation syndrome. Biofeedback can help the constipation and also the stomach pain.

Congrats to you for attempting to go off the laxatives!! It really is far easier to take either Magnesium Citrate (the kind matters - I use Lifetime or Bluebonnet). You may have to play around with what brands work for you. But the liquid kind tends to be the most effective. You can also try Aloe Vera Inner Filler or Fiber gummies. If you need them, use suppositories to get yourself 'moving.' I would only take these things every 3 days at most, though. There is also the option of Linzess and Miralax but I stay away from these, as they no longer work. I used to take Citrucel and that really made the movements far smoother and easier to pass. I don't know because it bloats me. Olive oil and Molasses can also be helpful if you take 2 tbs in the morning. A lot of people swear by coconut oil. I find it's best to take this before eating something binding, like bread or pasta.

Diet is going to be your best friend, to be honest. You've got to find things that work for you and don't 'stray' from that. Keep a journal of what foods tend to bind you up and which ones make things move through you a little easier. Water really does matter, you need 64oz a day and you need to drink a large glass after each meal. I guarantee that if you eat right and drink enough water, you'll have looser stool. You can also try going dairy free as this tends to be a 'trigger' for some. It tends to help me to have a BM, though. Everyone is different.

Many things stimulate peristalsis: eating a large meal, caffeine, exercise, fats and protein.

• Aidara likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs-c, ibsc, constipation, laxatives

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here