HELP- more GI tests or not? - Welcome! - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

HELP- more GI tests or not?

omeprazole anemia endoscopy camera test ranitidine colonoscopy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cre8ivwearlori

cre8ivwearlori

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

Advertisement

I am new here... Here is my story-  I need advice - please help!

I have IBS... who doesn't?

I recently had a blood test and my iron levels were extremely low.  I can not tolerate the iron supplements, so I began Iron infusions 4 weeks ago (1 week left).  The GI doc did an upper endoscopy and took biopsy to test for celiacs disease- All negative.  Almost 2 years ago I had a colonoscopy, also negative. The GI doc recommends that I get the next test- a camera test.  The camera captures images of the entire digestive track.  However, he says I need to have another colonoscopy first, before I do the camera test!  The colonoscopy test is horrible!  

So, I began searching what causes anemia... I found out that omeprazole (PPI) can cause anemia when taken for a long period of time.  I have been taking it daily for almost 8 years now.  

I am not sure if I should go through the testing now, or try to stop taking the Omeprazole first.  Stopping Omeprazole is not easy either!

I still have terrible digestive symptoms even though I have been off gluten and dairy for over 18 months now.  I can't eat fresh fruit, or raw veggies without terrible gas and bloating.  I am down to eating lean proteins, eggs and gluten free toast.  The more I have read about the acid levels and Omeprazole- the more confused I get...

Should I follow the GI doc advice and get the tests that are very $$ and painful?  Or, try to get off Omeprazole and risk the GERD symptoms coming back?  

• sarahinvictoria likes this

#2 BQ

BQ

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14427 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

I would think trying to either stop taking the  Omeprazole or switching to something else and or looking for other reasons for the low iron is alot less invasive than another colonsocopy.

Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#3 RumbleTummy

RumbleTummy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

Whoa, that sounds horrible, cre8ivwearlori. Regarding the fruit and vegetables, do digestive enzymes help at all? My stomach bloating is extremely uncomfortable and usually ends up causing a bout of diarrhoea. This helps me a lot and I can have a few sips of something carbonated to help me burp free some of the gas...

http://www.medicinen...ral/article.htm

Maybe see if you can get a sample and see if it helps? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: omeprazole, anemia, endoscopy, camera test, ranitidine, colonoscopy

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here