IBS messing up your sleep ? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS messing up your sleep ?

ibs sleep constipation diarrhea

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IndianRopeTrick

IndianRopeTrick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

Advertisement

IBS often messes up my sleep. Sometimes rectal itching wakes me up. Sometimes mild diarrhea and urge to go early in the morning wakes me up. Sometimes, I am just not able to sleep early, despite doing all the things needed for good health and good sleep. 

I tried good sleep hygiene besides good diet and exercise and reducing stress. Still not much luck. I sometimes use unisom caplets to help me sleep better. I don't want to become dependent on medicines to sleep. 

Anyone else face sleeping problems ? Have you tried something to solve or alleviate the problem ? Please share your tips. I already know I should turn the lights off early and prepare for sleep. I need something besides that. I mentioned my problems to the doctor and he cannot help.

Thanks.

IBS Free after about 8 years ! Now, I am living with a small Hiatal hernia and fixing my sleep problems. Not too bad.

#2 Sarah_Schof

Sarah_Schof

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:46 AM

I also have been struggling with sleep for years. I thinks it's related to the ibs. When it's really bad I take a sleeping pill, but not a few day's in a row, because they are really adictive.
It helps a bit to get up at the same time every day, even if you didn't get much sleep. Avoid the urge to stay in bed even when you just slept an hour or four. The next night you will be more likely to be tired.
You could also try a homeopathic medicine based on melatonine.

#3 IndianRopeTrick

IndianRopeTrick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

I also have been struggling with sleep for years. I thinks it's related to the ibs. When it's really bad I take a sleeping pill, but not a few day's in a row, because they are really adictive.
It helps a bit to get up at the same time every day, even if you didn't get much sleep. Avoid the urge to stay in bed even when you just slept an hour or four. The next night you will be more likely to be tired.
You could also try a homeopathic medicine based on melatonine.

Hey sarah ! Thanks for your reply. I tried melatonin and it does not help at all. Btw, you might want to read about the effectiveness of homeopathy in general. There is no proof for its effectiveness. Whenever I used it, I never got any relief. I read a bit about it from reliable books (ben goldacre's bad science) and websites and realized that its just pseudoscience. 

I strongly recommend that you do this too. Btw, "allopathic" medicine is also no panacea. But, as long as they do the clinical trials properly and report the outcomes honestly, patients

should be okay.

For sleep, I sometimes use small doses of unisom. It helps most of the time. Sometimes it makes me groggy in the morning, but its usually effective. Which sleeping pill do you use ?

Do you use any other things or activities to improve your sleep ?

IBS Free after about 8 years ! Now, I am living with a small Hiatal hernia and fixing my sleep problems. Not too bad.

#4 flitwit

flitwit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

I very much have sleep issues due to IBS/IBD symptoms, as well as severe back pain.  I avoid any kind of sleeping aid, or anything that causes drowsiness at all cost.  It feels 100x worse to be medicated and drowsy while suffering attacks.  Makes me feel very weak and helpless.  

I'm sorry that's not helpful information, but I guess what I do is just to try to minimize any reason to have attacks / upsets / problems in the middle of the night.  My diet has become very bland and un-nutritious for this reason.  I also eat dinner early, and at the same time every day.  

• IndianRopeTrick likes this

#5 IndianRopeTrick

IndianRopeTrick

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

@flitwit - thats good to know. might be useful for someone else. I tried melatonin earlier and it does not seem to be working. I already tried low doses of unisom 2-3 times a week and it works. But it has some seemingly mild side-effects as per webmd. So, I am now going to try GABA which it seems has no side effects.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs, sleep, constipation, diarrhea

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here