Things are getting worse - help :( - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Things are getting worse - help :(

ibs constipation diarrhea gas teen fodmap diet eating disorder dairy free

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kristy Lee Laverick

Kristy Lee Laverick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

Advertisement

I'm 17, female.

My doctor diagnosed me with IBS and I'm working with a dietitian to figure out my triggers. I stopped consuming dairy and at first my problems eased, and I get more pain if I eat dairy, but symptoms still appear almost daily including bloating, discomfort, gas, alternate loose stools or constipation, undigested food in stools, stomach growling.

I also only feel the urge to "go" about 30 minutes after a main meal and if I am standing - rarely do I feel the need to go if I'm not standing first (???) I think this could be a contributing factor to my constipation.

And I've had random episodes which I'm sure have been related e.g. waking with intense stomach cramps and feeling diarrhea sensations then passing out; an eczema-like breakout on my face with dry skin that lasted weeks; constipation randomly had me in AGONY, the worst pain I've been in, during my first 3 days on holiday. 

My dietitian doesn't like the idea of the FODMAP diet because she thinks excluding might be dangerous as I am "at the low end of the BMI chart." Any ideas as to what the triggers might be? 

#2 zeroblue

zeroblue

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles :(

What tests have you done so far? Fainting, waking up because of pain, intense pain etc should be very rare occurrences in IBS patients, i strongly suggest further investigations.

In the meantime you can try eliminating your food triggers which will help you a lot, they are different for everyone but here are some common ones: Most fatty foods, Dairy, eggs, chocolate, wheat, garlic, onions and possibly others. You should do at least a week of a very basic (but nutritious) diet and then you will feel better, then you can start reintroducing the foods one at a time and see how they affect you.

What medications have you tried, if any?

I humbly disagree with the dietitian, the FODMAP diet works for many people and if you are low on the 'bmi scale' it doesn't necessarily mean that you have an unhealthy weight (the bmi scale is often criticized). Furthermore, you can indeed gain weight on a FODMAP diet if you need to. After the elimination diet, you should at least try the FODMAP diet for a little while. The diet is backed by scientific evidence, it should not be dismissed so easily. If you do end up losing too much weight then you can always stop it and try something else.

Good luck

#3 Kristy Lee Laverick

Kristy Lee Laverick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:19 AM

Hello - thanks for the reply! Those cases have been rare, they only occurred once over a space of time. It worried me, though.

I've had blood tests, and each time my Vitamin B12 and another one had to be repeated twice because the results fluctuated and they want to double check. I assume this may be due to something I've eaten making them difficult to absorb previous to me having a test? They tested me for glutamine I think too. Everything was OK.

I was put on Colofac to ease the spasms which doesn't do much for anything to be honest. That's the easiest part of my IBS to deal with! I disagree too - just because I eliminate things doesn't mean I'll consume less and lose weight? I would obviously be hungry and substitute haha laugh.png

I'm terrified though because I go on holiday with my boyfriend and his parents on Saturday and I do not want to wake up have terrible pain and constipation for 3 days like last time :( And the "standing up" thing just makes life so inconvenient!!!! sad.png

I don't want to eat dairy anymore anyway, I drink caffeine rarely and stick to herbal tea. I'm going to try and eliminate wheat for the rest of the week. Elimination is just difficult for me because I just don't know where to start - I feel like it could be anything I eat! 

#4 zeroblue

zeroblue

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

Hello - thanks for the reply! Those cases have been rare, they only occurred once over a space of time. It worried me, though.

I've had blood tests, and each time my Vitamin B12 and another one had to be repeated twice because the results fluctuated and they want to double check. I assume this may be due to something I've eaten making them difficult to absorb previous to me having a test? They tested me for glutamine I think too. Everything was OK.

I was put on Colofac to ease the spasms which doesn't do much for anything to be honest. That's the easiest part of my IBS to deal with! I disagree too - just because I eliminate things doesn't mean I'll consume less and lose weight? I would obviously be hungry and substitute haha laugh.png

I'm terrified though because I go on holiday with my boyfriend and his parents on Saturday and I do not want to wake up have terrible pain and constipation for 3 days like last time sad.png And the "standing up" thing just makes life so inconvenient!!!! sad.png

I don't want to eat dairy anymore anyway, I drink caffeine rarely and stick to herbal tea. I'm going to try and eliminate wheat for the rest of the week. Elimination is just difficult for me because I just don't know where to start - I feel like it could be anything I eat! 

Yeah i found antispasmodics to be rather not useful, i would look into getting a tricyclic antidepressant to try to treat pain and related symptoms. If other symptoms are bothersome (for instance, gas) there are some over-the-counter products you can try

In terms of your affairs you will have to try your best and you should probably tell your boyfriend about the problems you are experiencing; remember that locations are irrelevant but it can be worrisome especially for 3 days just try not to worry too much smile.png

It could certainly be anything you are eating but i would start by avoiding the things i mentioned above and if you are still having problems perhaps try more.

Make sure you do a blood test for celiac disease before you stop eating gluten 

good luck tongue.png

#5 Kristy Lee Laverick

Kristy Lee Laverick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

Yeah i found antispasmodics to be rather not useful, i would look into getting a tricyclic antidepressant to try to treat pain and related symptoms. If other symptoms are bothersome (for instance, gas) there are some over-the-counter products you can try

In terms of your affairs you will have to try your best and you should probably tell your boyfriend about the problems you are experiencing; remember that locations are irrelevant but it can be worrisome especially for 3 days just try not to worry too much smile.png

It could certainly be anything you are eating but i would start by avoiding the things i mentioned above and if you are still having problems perhaps try more.

Make sure you do a blood test for celiac disease before you stop eating gluten 

good luck tongue.png

I'm looking into medication to take away. I don't really like taking pills, especially paracetamol and things, but I think they'll be essential when I'm going on holiday (with NO family members for the first time ever) and my previous experience in Spain. I'm nervous to tell my boyfriend and/or his parents about my troubles as they're rather embarrassing as I'm sure you can imagine, for a 17 year old girl blush.png If it flares up though, I'll definitely make sure to tell them what's going on.

I think (80% sure?) I was tested for celiac and don't think I have it. I won't have time before I go on holiday unfortunately to go to the doctors and check. But if this week without gluten improves things, then after my holiday I can start eating normally, gluten included, and have a test to confirm it isn't celiac. 

Not being able to go unless previously standing is really bothersome too, but I've heard no other similar complaints anywhere and don't really know what to do about it haha!

#6 Ibsguy4

Ibsguy4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

My symptoms are worsening as well, first year I only had pain/discomfort, next year diarrhea started and then this year the persistant hypersenstivity/bloating/cramping/diarrhea/constipation have all come together to finally give me a proper diagnosis of my issue, Remember some experts said...its never really ibs, its actually some other underlying dysfunctional digestive organ thats messing up. since ibs is an umbrella term. beware!
28 year old male

#7 kaydee82

kaydee82

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

Hi- Kristy - I have alot of your same symptoms, working on how to relieve them. I do have to say the one definitive difference I've seen in all the years of trial and error is that taking wheat out of my diet almost completely eliminated my gassiness. It's something to consider. Best of luck to you, and hope you have a wonderful holiday regardless.

Question for ZeroBlue about the celiac blood test. My GI doc seemed unclear about whether to introduce gluten prior to the test. I thought that was a given, so it can measure how your body reacts to gluten. But I'm getting the gene test, and the GI nurse said nope, it doesn't matter for that test what you eat. Thoughts? Thanks.

#8 zeroblue

zeroblue

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

Hi- Kristy - I have alot of your same symptoms, working on how to relieve them. I do have to say the one definitive difference I've seen in all the years of trial and error is that taking wheat out of my diet almost completely eliminated my gassiness. It's something to consider. Best of luck to you, and hope you have a wonderful holiday regardless.

Question for ZeroBlue about the celiac blood test. My GI doc seemed unclear about whether to introduce gluten prior to the test. I thought that was a given, so it can measure how your body reacts to gluten. But I'm getting the gene test, and the GI nurse said nope, it doesn't matter for that test what you eat. Thoughts? Thanks.

If you're testing for the presence of the gene then eating gluten is not necessary, if you're doing IGG (antibodies) blood test then you will have to eat gluten before your exam. (You should eat it at least once in a 3 week period before your exam)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ibs, constipation, diarrhea, gas, teen, fodmap, diet, eating disorder, dairy free

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here