GrumbleGuts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

Advertisement

Hi all,

I've done a lot of my own researching about sugars and their effects and I'm not coming up with much. Obviously I understand man-made sugars aren't digestible and/ or aren't easy to pass. Why I'm here probably has a lot to do with those ;).

Anyhow, my question is, is it possible to have an intolerance in one type of source of sugar or is it strictly covered by most? The reason I'm asking is because I'm pretty sure I have a sugar intolerance of some kind, but from what I've read, most IBS sufferers don't seem to have it? I also am planning to go to a low FODMAP diet as recommended by my GI, but I'm finding that some of the "sugary sins" of the FODMAP diet I'm able to eat. Is it that I'm missing something, or could it be something else?

Thanks. GG  

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

How many or how sensitive you are to the various fodmaps will vary.

Remember some of the natural fodmaps are going to be as much or more of a problem than fake sugars synthesized in a lab.  Most of the added sugars are natural sugars (your body doesn't know if the fructose is in the fruit it is supposed to be in or added by humans from corn).  If you don't absorb fructose all that welll you don't absorb it better if is it more "natural".  It depends only on how much glucose is around.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Low FODMAP, No More Sugar, Intolerances

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here