Extreme pain/Anxiety - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Extreme pain/Anxiety

pain suffering anxiety suicidal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheTorturedOne

TheTorturedOne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

Advertisement

I've suffered from ibs for over 30 years. I'm now 53 [male] and for the last few years [particularly in the last few months] the pain has been growing worse.I've been told that my anxiety is exacerbating the condition, but the ibs is actually causing me far more anxiety than anything else.  At times I'm almost hysterical due to the intensity of the pain and I just know if things continue to grow worse, I'll end up taking my life as there's no way I'll survive another 20 to 30 years of this absolute hell. It really does drive me almost to the point of madness at times. What makes it infinitely worse is knowing there's absolutely nothing I can do to stop the pain and also the fact that that it tortures me on a daily basis with unremitting severity. My life is slowly becoming a living hell and I don't know how much longer I'll be able to stand it. I've posted on this site a number of times over the years and here I am again and absolutely nothing has changed apart from the pain being far worse than ever. There are days when I seriously wish I was dead quite honestly.

#2 Nojokeibs

Nojokeibs

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

Okay, if you're on the edge so far that you're wishing you were dead, you might be willing to consider Atkins instead of a vegetarian diet.  I'm not going to moralize about animal suffering, but I will say that I didn't get any kind of handle on my gut pain issues until I abandoned vegetarian/vegan eating. If you feel strongly about animal rights, then consider reading up on permaculture as an alternative to vegerarianism/veganism.  

I realize these issues are very emotional, so I won't go too deeply into them.  But there's a lot of help to be had from adding just fish to your diet, and cutting out all the grains and legumes, including corn.  If you do just that much, you might be on the way to healing.  Add fish oil, taurine, and lots of vitamin E and it might get even better.  Taurine gets very low when you're vegetarian.  It can cause some interesting effects that are unexpected because nobody ever expects anyone to be low in Taurine.  

If you're not on a daily preventative anti-inflammatory like meloxicam or celebrex, ask a doctor for one.  Until you get a handle on all this pain, you'll probably need to stay medicated.  Pain can sensitize you to more pain until the slightest thing makes you cry out as if you've been branded.  Your instinct is right, you do have to make the pain stop.  The pain is the problem right now.  

Try otc GABA 500mg once or twice a day and if it helps, tell a doctor about it.  There are lots of actual medications that modify your body's use and response to GABA, so if changing the amount of GABA helped you, then a doctor needs to know that.  They may be able to help you better with that fact in their hands.  Also in this amount of pain, please see a neurologist.  They are also the best person to tell about the GABA experiment.  

There are good reasons why the Atkins diet helps reduce pain and also helps the gut, one of them is the high availability of good fats for rebuilding cell membranes.  Another is that if you do achieve even a low level of ketosis, pain signals are reduced.  Although the original Atkins book talks about weight loss, the point isn't to lose weight.  The point is to cut carbs until you are in ketosis so you get the benefits of that.  Later, when your body is stable, you can consider eating less meat again.  But for now, I think you should consider taking a break from vegetarianism. Another option I think might help you is the GAPS diet.  Neither of these is usually vegetarian, but they're often effective. 

If you refuse to even consider it, okay, it's a free country, here is some information for what supplements to take and what else to consider adding to your diet to help your body a little more while vegetarian/vegan:

http://rawfoodsos.com/for-vegans/ 

• TheTorturedOne likes this

Ever been to the Museum of Medical Oddities in Philadelphia, PA?  My picture is from there.  That's the guy with the megacolon.  I suppose he lived before surgery could help him.  His actual colon is there too, thick as my leg.  

----

My History in Brief

#3 TheTorturedOne

TheTorturedOne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

Okay, if you're on the edge so far that you're wishing you were dead, you might be willing to consider Atkins instead of a vegetarian diet.  I'm not going to moralize about animal suffering, but I will say that I didn't get any kind of handle on my gut pain issues until I abandoned vegetarian/vegan eating. If you feel strongly about animal rights, then consider reading up on permaculture as an alternative to vegerarianism/veganism.  

I realize these issues are very emotional, so I won't go too deeply into them.  But there's a lot of help to be had from adding just fish to your diet, and cutting out all the grains and legumes, including corn.  If you do just that much, you might be on the way to healing.  Add fish oil, taurine, and lots of vitamin E and it might get even better.  Taurine gets very low when you're vegetarian.  It can cause some interesting effects that are unexpected because nobody ever expects anyone to be low in Taurine.  

If you're not on a daily preventative anti-inflammatory like meloxicam or celebrex, ask a doctor for one.  Until you get a handle on all this pain, you'll probably need to stay medicated.  Pain can sensitize you to more pain until the slightest thing makes you cry out as if you've been branded.  Your instinct is right, you do have to make the pain stop.  The pain is the problem right now.  

Try otc GABA 500mg once or twice a day and if it helps, tell a doctor about it.  There are lots of actual medications that modify your body's use and response to GABA, so if changing the amount of GABA helped you, then a doctor needs to know that.  They may be able to help you better with that fact in their hands.  Also in this amount of pain, please see a neurologist.  They are also the best person to tell about the GABA experiment.  

There are good reasons why the Atkins diet helps reduce pain and also helps the gut, one of them is the high availability of good fats for rebuilding cell membranes.  Another is that if you do achieve even a low level of ketosis, pain signals are reduced.  Although the original Atkins book talks about weight loss, the point isn't to lose weight.  The point is to cut carbs until you are in ketosis so you get the benefits of that.  Later, when your body is stable, you can consider eating less meat again.  But for now, I think you should consider taking a break from vegetarianism. Another option I think might help you is the GAPS diet.  Neither of these is usually vegetarian, but they're often effective. 

If you refuse to even consider it, okay, it's a free country, here is some information for what supplements to take and what else to consider adding to your diet to help your body a little more while vegetarian/vegan:

http://rawfoodsos.com/for-vegans/ 

Thanks for your reply. I do believe anxiety and stress are the main cause of my ibs rather than diet but I'll certainly check out these diets you mentioned.smile.png

#4 Nojokeibs

Nojokeibs

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

FYI it is technically possible to be in ketosis while using only vegan or vegetarian foods.  But it is tricky if you're having gut issues because you need to rely on nuts, coconut oil, red palm oil, large amounts of sprouted tofu, fermented tofu, tempeh, and other foods which are problematic for the gut in the first place.  Just to point out one issue, all nuts must be soaked, exactly as they are in raw veganism, this reduces the phytic acid load.  It is also nearly impossible to find non-hexane extracted oils, assuming you're relying on nut and vegetable oils as a food additive.  When you're doing a ketosis diet, it takes generally a few extra tablespoons of pure fat at each meal to get the correct mixture.  Since vegans and vegetarians are limited to coconut oil (the yummiest) and red palm oil for saturated fat sources, and these tend to produce diarrhea at first, the path of the vegetarian or vegan ketogenic is not an easy one.  

I've actually been thinking along these lines myself.  Trying to figure out how to make ketogenic possible for, at least, vegetarians.  The 4 yolks + 2 egg whites omelet is possible, for example.  And cream is a major part of my own diet, I mean, full heavy cream with no additives, coming from a pasture-raised cow whenever possible.  I don't think my own body would ever thrive on this method of eating, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't save some true believers from physical suffering.  I honestly hope you find your way. 

• TheTorturedOne likes this

Ever been to the Museum of Medical Oddities in Philadelphia, PA?  My picture is from there.  That's the guy with the megacolon.  I suppose he lived before surgery could help him.  His actual colon is there too, thick as my leg.  

----

My History in Brief

#5 TheTorturedOne

TheTorturedOne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for your advice,Nojokeibs. It's very much appreciated.smile.png

#6 mousetarget

mousetarget

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:37 AM

Hi

I am sorry to hear about the pain and anxiety you have been enduring for so long.

We may have a possible solution for you - here in the UK my wife has also been suffering with IBS pains until recently - we have started taking a new probiotic which has been clinically tested by the NHS, its called Symprove - its specially produced for IBS sufferers and you take it once a day for 12 weeks, but my wife has lost all her pains now after 17 days.

After the 12 weeks you just then go on a maintenance dosage.

Please let us know how you get on.

Kind Regards

Chris

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pain, suffering, anxiety, suicidal

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here