I subscribed to a new magzine - The Lighter Side - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

I subscribed to a new magzine

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Nojokeibs

Nojokeibs

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

Advertisement

I love magazines, be they serious, like Nature (technically a Journal but lately more like a magazine), spiritual like Shambala, or funky like Gothic Beauty.  I almost never read what I call the "recycled story" magazines like "cosmo" or the tabloids.  I don't care what the Kardashians are doing now.  But real people do interest me, people without "handlers" and "publicists."  Lifestyles interest me.  I was fascinated when an Asian friend of mine subscribed me to Sinorama, for example.  People are cool, especially when they're different from me.  Viva la difference I say.

In that spirit, I signed up for Garden and Gun, a Southern USA lifestyle magazine, and I love it!  I'm surprised how much I agree with the ideas in it.  I can't say that I am a "Southerner" but I feel myself nodding and smiling and chuckling as I read the pages of the first issue I got today.  The magazine itself has been around for ages, but I didn't discover it until recently.  

What does this have to do with IBS or health?  A lot actually.  One of the articles in this issue is all about a family who converted their farm in the 1970s to "factory farming" and then in the past 5 years or so, when the kids "came home" they converted it back to an organic farm with several heirloom varieties, even heirloom corn.  Another one described the use of okra vs file in the making of gumbo and the socio-political aspects of using one or the other ingredients.  Both of those ingredients feature "mucilage" which is a still-unspecified food component that probably falls into the category of "prebiotics" but we still don't know. 

I had a laugh when I saw Alton Brown wearing a suit with Converse sneakers.  I'd just bought a pair the other day.  Those things are comfy!  And the look actually worked!

Ever been to the Museum of Medical Oddities in Philadelphia, PA?  My picture is from there.  That's the guy with the megacolon.  I suppose he lived before surgery could help him.  His actual colon is there too, thick as my leg.  

----

My History in Brief

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here