Anybody on here previously suffer from an eating disorder? - Dealing with Relationships - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Anybody on here previously suffer from an eating disorder?

eating disorder anorexia laxative Bulimia

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 anon034

anon034

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

Advertisement

Hi. i'm new to this forum and I couldn't find a good subforum to post this in.

I'm having a hard time at the moment and wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. I suffered from eating disorders as a teenager and now have IBS. I'm not sure if the two are related, but I think they may be. From what I gather this is quite common to have both, but there's not a lot of support out there for people. I consider myself recovered, but obviously I still have issues with body image and have to be very careful I don't slip back into old habits.

I was wondering how other people cope with having to restrict food after recovering from an ED?

Also how do people cope with body image issues? I'm always bloated so I constantly feel fat. It's affecting my self-esteem and I'm not sure what to do. I've tried the FODMAP diet and the bloating went away for a couple of days, but it's so hard to stick to it strictly enough to get an effect because I eat out (and at friends houses) a lot so I can't always control what's in my food.

If not advice, I'm just looking to see if other people have been through something similar.

#2 Nojokeibs

Nojokeibs

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

By eating disorder, I assume you mean anorexia or bulimia.  I haven't experienced those, my problems were more like overeating at one time.  Not that it should be dismissed as a lesser disorder, but it's the opposite effect.  I was trying to eat more and more "clean" and ate less and less meat and meat based food until eventually I was a vegan.  My overeating just got worse and worse.  And the IBS got worse and worse.  For me, eating carbohydrates even in fairly small amounts (60g/day or more) leads to an almost uncontrollable desire to binge.  It's a mercy that I found the Atkins and then later, the Ketogenic diets because I think they really helped me, but mostly with my general health. 

I'm not sure if that's a good choice for you though.  Ketosis makes you lose your sense of hunger. But I wanted to say welcome! :)

I hope you stay and someone with a similar problem helps you out.  I'll be interested to know how you're doing from time to time. 

Ever been to the Museum of Medical Oddities in Philadelphia, PA?  My picture is from there.  That's the guy with the megacolon.  I suppose he lived before surgery could help him.  His actual colon is there too, thick as my leg.  

----

My History in Brief

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

Not personally, but we get a fair number of people who have IBS who previously had eating disorders.  It may be that the disordered eating over time messes up the regulation of the gut so it is more prone to IBS.

From what people say it is pretty common to still have to work on body issues and that even when recovery is going well.  That old you are "in recovery" rather than "recovered".  Whenever there is a disorder where you have a chance of relapsing I don't know if people ever get to the pre-disorder state where they don't have to pay attention to what is going on.

So I think it is important to be aware if something is triggering the ED behavior, especially when it comes to restricting diet.  It may be worth seeing if focusing more on what you can eat rather than what you can't could help avoid triggers.  The Oh boy I get to eat strawberries today rather than , uh oh better not eat that apple.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eating disorder, anorexia, laxative, Bulimia

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here