Change in Trigger Foods IBS-D - Diet - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Change in Trigger Foods IBS-D

triggers diet difficulties

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 laceykj

laceykj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

Advertisement

Hi! I am 23 years old and was diagnosed with IBS about 10 years ago. I've kept food journals over the years to try to find dietary triggers. I know that fried, greasy, and spicy foods have been my triggers but more recently absolutely everything makes me sick...vegetables, breads, fruits, meats, everything. Has anyone had these types of changes? I've found that gluten doesn't seem to affect me-cut it out of my diet for months and saw no changes in symptoms. What are some of the diets that agree with you? 

#2 Shaylu

Shaylu

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:48 AM

You might want to look into the FODMAP diet. Also have you been tested for fructose malabsorption? If veg, bread etc are your problems that it could well be fructose malabsorption.

#3 MorrisseyP

MorrisseyP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

I cut out dairy and gluten, greasy or fried food is also a problem for me. I still have symptoms so will be trying a low FODMAP diet next, hopefully will see some results!
I do also have attacks a lot more frequently than I used to, and finding it very hard to narrow down which foods I should avoid as I don't always react to the same things

#4 Nojokeibs

Nojokeibs

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hi! I am 23 years old and was diagnosed with IBS about 10 years ago. I've kept food journals over the years to try to find dietary triggers. I know that fried, greasy, and spicy foods have been my triggers but more recently absolutely everything makes me sick...vegetables, breads, fruits, meats, everything. Has anyone had these types of changes? I've found that gluten doesn't seem to affect me-cut it out of my diet for months and saw no changes in symptoms. What are some of the diets that agree with you? 

If everything is a trigger then you probably have too much generalized inflammation.  Try and reduce inflammation instead of guessing at your diet.  Your diet triggers will probably change again, but at least this time, the triggers will be  things that actually disagree with your digestion, not things that your immune system panics about.  That's my opinion anyway. 

My diet went from Atkins to Ketogenic, not sure how helpful that is, though, since I don't often suffer from D.  I either avoid FODMAPS or I eat probiotics that help me deal with them better. 

Ever been to the Museum of Medical Oddities in Philadelphia, PA?  My picture is from there.  That's the guy with the megacolon.  I suppose he lived before surgery could help him.  His actual colon is there too, thick as my leg.  

----

My History in Brief

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: triggers, diet, difficulties

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here