Low dose naltrexone - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Low dose naltrexone

IBS-A

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kaydee82

kaydee82

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

Advertisement
Has anyone tried low-dose naltrexone (LDN) for IBS? All my tests came back negative for anything more serious than IBS. I've tried a low FODMAP diet, the Specific Carbohydrate diet, probiotics, digestive enzymes ... you name it. Nothing has worked yet, but I do think the concept of sticking to mono saccharides may be the key for me. . My next step is LDN. Anyone have experience with this?

#2 Nojokeibs

Nojokeibs

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

I haven't seen it used for IBS.  I've seen people with Crohn's use it to prevent recurrence though.  I wouldn't know what to say about it for IBS.  I do use one strategy that I borrowed from Crohn's drugs:  DHEA can lower TNF, which is what Humira does too.  I find it reduces my pain levels a lot.  Since I'd never be prescribed such drugs for IBS, DHEA is my only tool in that area.  What does LDN do exactly in the gut? 

Ever been to the Museum of Medical Oddities in Philadelphia, PA?  My picture is from there.  That's the guy with the megacolon.  I suppose he lived before surgery could help him.  His actual colon is there too, thick as my leg.  

----

My History in Brief

#3 kaydee82

kaydee82

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:23 AM

What is TNF? Sorry I don't have a concise but clear description of how LDN works ... it is supposed to help with auto immune diseases by increasing the natural production of endorphins and has been shown to decrease inflammation. It has been very effective with Chron's and also has some success with IBS.

#4 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

kaidee82, have you finally tried LDN?

#5 Ehl

Ehl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:33 AM

I am 76 years old, have been stressed all my life, depressed last 20 years, had PTSD,. insomnia all life, last 6-8 years autoimmune thyroid and anemia. I have had IBS for some 20 years,last 6 were really bad ,sometimes could not go out.

I had no expectations as to outcome.  I started LDN on 5th August 2016 (0.5 mg/day, at bed time (usually 23.30 - midnight) as 5ml of 50mg tab dissolved in 50 ml water;  it takes about 2hrs to dissolve,kept in fridge)

Then I increased to 1 mg LDN/day (=10ml stock) on 13th, then 1.5mg LDN/day on 20th, and from 20th Augist I am on 2.0mg LDN/day for one week, then another 0.5mg increment each week until I reach 3.5mgLDN/day to see what happens. 

I transferred the dose with graded 1 ml syringe into cca 50 ml water in a glass, drank it ,then rinsed the glass with another 50 ml water and drank that, too. Throughout,I have not have any side effects yet.

At start point I had very bad gas,fluid was seeping out of me, loose stools, about 60% mucus, on occasions incontinent.

After 4 days I noticed less gas, less bloated,but the LDN effect faded after 10 am on the following day.

At 1mg/day the effect lasted till midday, at 1.5mg till about 3p.m.

At 1mg/day the gas reduction was 80%, stools semiformed,wet. At 1.5 mg the gut was normal, stools semi to formed,still wet, mucus down half as compared to start, Emptying was good already half way at 1.0mg stage.

I can now have moderate amounts of fresh fruit (strawbs,banana). I eat steamed carrots,green beans, sweet potato.chin broccholi, some english spinach,shallots (green part), onions, garlic, mushrooms;mostly mashed in strong chicken stock; stewed chicken,turkey. Transverse colon does not hurt.

My GP did not know about LDN. I plan to go up to 3.5 mg/day. I will summarise the outcome late September.

I cannot believe this myself, such a change for better in less then a month.

I am lactose intolerant, GFD, and believe I also malabsorb fructose, which is definitely osmotically aggressive in transverse colon and stomach (mild gastritis).

I stopped all medications (lipids,depression,about 4/12 ago, gluten free 6/12).

FODMAP diet is helpful.

till next time,Ehl

• jaumeb likes this

#6 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:54 AM

Thanks Ehl for the report and congratulations for your successs.

#7 Ehl

Ehl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:42 PM

Important re Ehl's report above- I made a mistake when typing it - please read my correction

These are the correct values:

50 mg tablet dissolved in 50 ml water gives you the  stock solution of 1 milligram  Naltroxen per 1 milliliter of solution (which is kept refrigerated all the time)

I used  the following amounts:

5th August 2016 -  0.5 mg LDN  as 0.5 ml of the stock solution (measured in 1 ml graded syringe)

13th August 2016 - 1.0 mg LDN as 1.0 ml of the stock solution (measured in 1 ml graded syringe)

20th August 2016 -  1.5 mg LDN as 1.5 ml of the stock solution (measured by 1 ml graded syringe)

27th August  2016 - 2.0 mg LDN  as 2.0 ml of the stock solution (measured by 1 ml graded syringe)

I appologise for my error. Ehl  

#8 Brz

Brz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:33 PM

Hi there Ehl! Thanks for sharing!

May I ask: what time of the day/night do you take your LDN?

#9 Ehl

Ehl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:27 AM

Hi New member Brz

I take LDN (3.5 mg at present) at night between 10-11.30 p.m. I try to have no food in the stomach,at least 2 hours no food before taking LDN and no food after either, just water to get it out of the stomach into the gut.

My feeling was that food shortly before or after taking it was not as effective as on empty stomach.

I have never taken it in the morning. I have never had any side effects this way.

I will summarize my experience after 1 week on 4.0 mg LDN (2nd October 2016)

Regards and good luck

Ehl

#10 Ehl

Ehl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:37 AM

Hi Brz,

I take it at night just before I go to bed (10 -11.30 p.m.) no food about 2 hours before and no food after taking it, total amount of water is about 100 ml, to get it out of the stomach into the gut

Regards, good loch

Ehl 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IBS-A

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here