My thoughts - Your Story - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo
- - - - -

My thoughts

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 02:09 AM

Advertisement
I know that everyone is different, but it is helpful to hear different theories and ideas.I really resisted the idea of registering myself on this site, but I decided to become a part of it. I am grateful there is a place to turn to when life gets rough with IBS.I have had IBS-C for 10 years. I survived for 7 years drinking prune juice and then downing 3 -16 oz glasses of water. Then another glass every 30 minutes for a couple of hours. This worked pretty well but then after 2 kids and breastfeeding, my body couldn't digest food without a lot of water during the day after each meal. I had been to many doctors and had a sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, barium enema, baloon tests to gauge the function of the muscles down there, etc. I do not have an anatomical or physiological problem, so I went to an herbalist, who gave me cascara sagrada and a bunch of other herbs. The cascara helped my body to be able to go without prune juice. Now I get up at 5:30 a.m. or so. I drink 4 glasses of water. Then another two over the course of the next 2 hours or so. This pretty much cleans me out, and I can function the rest of the day. I now have 3 kids, and life can't stand still for me. With much prayer, and a restricted diet, I lead an almost normal life. I cannot eat high fiber foods, or a lot of red meat. I can eat some vegetables, and if I avoid eating after 6:30 pm then I seem to have an easier time going in the morning. I really believe drinking water right after eating helps the body digest food. I wouldn't say that drinking as much water as I do is necessarily healthy, but after so much trial and error, this is the best I can do. For a long time I had an extremely sensitive intestinal tract, no one could touch or get too close to my gut. I wore only exercise pants with elastic waists that were 2 sizes too big, so that nothing hardly touched or put pressure on my gut. But after my last baby 7 months ago, that sensitivity is just about gone, I'm really happy about that.Somehow, I believe that a lot of women with IBS suffer because they probably have a hormonal imbalance, because I noticed that my problem with constipation gets worse when my hormones have changed with periods or having babies.I still can't do anything close to a situp because that definitely messes me up. But I try to go to the gym and work out and this helps to keep things going.Thanks for letting me share, good luck to everyone.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here