How I have CURED & CONQUERED my IBS-C after 21 years of suffering - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

How I have CURED & CONQUERED my IBS-C after 21 years of suffering

MAGNESIUM CITRATE LINZESS IBS-C CONSTIPATION GAS FLATUENCE BLOATING

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 FinallyFree

FinallyFree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

Advertisement

Quick answer:

An alternating mix of Magnesium CITRATE and Linzess / Linaclotide / Constella.

My story:

I am a 37 year old guy who has been suffering from IBS-C for 21 years. Symptoms have been constipation, excessive gas / flatuence, depression, bloating, social anxiety, back pain, dizziness, fatigue, brain fog, severe straining and incomplete emptying.

Needless to say, this crippling IBS-C has had a severely negative impact on some of the most precious years of my life.

I have literally tried it all:

- Gluten free diet
- Modulon
- Propulsid
- Digestive enzymes
- Acidophilus
- Fennel
- Pepperment Tea
- Laxatives
- Resotran
- Metamucil
- Low fat diet
- Dairy free diet
- Meat free diet
- Drinking lots of water
- Smaller meals

... just to name a few. Nothing worked.

The only thing that ever worked on occasion was Zelnorm and / or drinking coffee.

Then, about a month ago, I discovered Magnesium CITRATE and Linzess / Linaclotide / Constella (is just becoming available in Canada). By using an alternating combination of these (145mg Constella one day and then 6 Magnesium Citrate pills the next day), I have had incredible relief and feel better than I have ever felt in 21 years.

If you're like me, you have been browsing the internet for answers and you'll do anything to stop the pain and get your life back. I have been browsing this very forum for many years anonymously searching for answers. I swore if I ever came up with answers, I would post it to help others.

I can't promise anything but I can only say that a combination of Magnesium CITRATE and Linzess / Linaclotide / Constella has been a miracle cure for me.

If you are suffering from IBS-C as I have been, I highly recommend trying Magnesium CITRATE first.

If that doesn't work, top it up with some and Linzess / Linaclotide / Constella... and get your life back. 

I have CONQUERED this awful affliction and taught my bowels a lesson once and for all!

If this story helps even one person out there, then it's worth it.

Thank you and God Bless.

May 13, 2017 update:

I discovered a dietician who has changed my life:

The key items I learned from her:
  • By taking 2 Magnesium Citrate capsules (150mg x 2) every night, I am having a BM every morning!

• Up to 450mg daily in capsule form is 100% safe and is not a traditional laxative. I have confirmed this with Audrey (the dietician) and my family doctor.

• You still need some fiber too, and straight from a dietician who specializes in IBS-C, the fiber you want is SOLUBLE (NOT INSOLUBLE). I get my fiber from Steel Cut Oats, white chia seeds and frozen blueberries every morning. YEAST-FREE sourdough bread is also a safe option.

• I have also been following the FODMAPs diet to a degree and have learned that the "Os" are the worst for IBS-C. Garlic, onion, wheat and yeast are our worst enemies! 

• High fructose corn syrup is also another trigger and can be found in pop and ketchup
Sorry if my initial title was misleading, I was so excited to find something that works, I had to share it with all of you. I have not cured my IBS-C but I am managing it very well.

Since taking 2 Magnesium Citrate capsules (150mg x 2) every night, eating the right SOLUBLE fiber and avoiding garlic, onion etc, I have not had to use Constella / Linaclotide at all.

The IBS Dietician, Audrey, lives in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada) but will use technology such as Skype or Facetime to reach out to anyone in the world. I highly recommend her!

• Angelk, snoopk1, Guineagirl and 2 others like this

#2 Dreamcatcher32

Dreamcatcher32

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

Thanks so much for sharing what has worked for you! I know Magnesium Citrate has worked really well for me. Though the pill form never seemed to. I have to get the liquid form that comes in a bottle and also has Calcium and Vitamin D in it. I get both Bluebonnet and Lifetime Magnesium Citrate. They both taste good too! I find that I can 'tolerate' anything liquid really well. Though the Chelated Magnesium from Bluebonnet also works great to keep things 'loose.' I also try to eat a good amount of insoluble fiber if I take this to balance things out. I also have pelvic floor dysfunction (my muscles are too tight) so the Magnesium works wonders in keeping my muscles relaxed! I think Magnesium Citrate can be a bit irritating to the colon, so I tend to use my Chelated Magnesium in high doses before trying the citrate. I have heard great things about Constella. Does it have any side effects?

You might also try Aloe Vera Inner Filler (not Whole Leaf) at some point. When I use this in between 'binding' meals it really works to loosen things up. Though sometimes it can give me the runs - so I have to be extra careful. Coconut water or oil really seems to help me out too, if I take enough of it. 

Anyway, great to see someone sharing their success stories! We need more of those. smile.png

• Guineagirl likes this

#3 FinallyFree

FinallyFree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:03 AM

I haven't noticed any side effects from the Constella (other than I tried it and Magnesium Citrate for the first time on the same day as I hadn't had a BM in a week... which resulted in diarrhea).

So now I have found that alternating Constella and Magnesium Citrate (6 capsules) every other day gives me just the right balance. And as any constipation sufferer will know, having watery bowel movements that are easy to pass is better than being plugged up for weeks at a time!

Magnesium Citrate is such a common supplement, through all my years of research, I can't believe I only discovered it about a month ago. I wish I would have known about it when I was 16!

I have literally HATED my stomach / bowels for so long, it has been a constant war with my own body. But with this combination of Magnesium Citrate and Constella, I finally feel like I have a "nuclear weapon" against the greatest scourge of my life.

Thanks for the suggestion of the "Aloe Vera Inner Filler", I'll have to check that out. I'm always up for having another weapon in my arsenal in the war against my IBS-C (which I am finally winning)!

• Guineagirl likes this

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12225 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

Finallyfree--that's wonderful you've found something that works for you!  smile.png

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 Kenny & White Tiger

Kenny & White Tiger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

I've had magnesium suggested to me elsewhere, I haven't had citrate on hand but have the other...oxi something, I've tried that at night before bed in hopes to get things better moving in the morning, when I'm usually always going. I mean to get some in a few days and hope it helps, the problems have been so awful lately I hate feeling miserable from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed.

I've also been trying vitamin c, 500mg, I was told to increase it every so often to see how much I tolerate before diarrhea, but I’ve been anxious too as I know oranges and orange juice give me bad reactions and I suspect that the vitamin c is the problem, but pills so far no problem, but they’re not alleviating the issue either.

Linzess I found to be too harsh, forgive my third bashing on this drug (least I try not to be TOO harsh) I just feel it made things worse, it may be great for folks who for instance, only go maybe every 4-5 days, if they have that kind of constipation, but for the seemingly more difficult cases who have clogged colons yet go -4-5 times in the morning consecutively because their systems out of whack for whatever reason, I don’t feel it’s the right stuff for that. I’m sticking to natural means and just hoping something eventual helps, all the harsh drugs, tried them all, they’ve only made this worse, especially the antibiotics…dealing with cramps under my left rib now sometimes before BM’s since taking those for SIBO, and that was 5 months ago.

But it’s good these things work for some people, I just wish I was one of them.

#6 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

Hi - 

Are you taking magnesium citrate in pill or liquid form?

Also what is the dose? 

#7 FinallyFree

FinallyFree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

I take it in pill form, 6 capsules every 2nd day (the bottle says to take 3 pills a day):

https://well.ca/prod...CFSMV7AodiRQAOg

#8 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

Thanks for the reply! I will probably order some in the next couple of days.

I don't mean to be the fly in your ointment, but I don't think you are actually cured of your IBS-C, as the subject of this post says. I think it's more like you are successfully treating your condition. I would think a cure would mean you can eat normally and not have to take any meds or supplements whatsoever to treat your condition. But hey, don't get me wrong. I'm very, very glad that it is working for you! I hope I can find something that works, sooner or later. This drives me crazy at times.

#9 FinallyFree

FinallyFree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

I completely agree, I have conquered and cured the SYMPTOMS of my IBS-C but the underlying problem is still there.

But since colonoscopies have revealed nothing actually wrong and these pills have given me my life back, I'm thrilled!

#10 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:57 AM

Just ordered a bottle of magnesium citrate from Amazon.com....

http://www.amazon.co...0_TE_item_image

Hope they work. (We shall see.) I'll keep ya posted whenever they arrive and I get to try 'em out.

• FinallyFree likes this

#11 cwhizzz

cwhizzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

I have IBS-C as well. I have suffered with a "flare" for almost 2 years. However, the tides are turning. My biggest problem besides the constipation has been that my ENTIRE colon is in perpetual spasm 24/7. Pure misery. HOWEVER, I recently discovered magnesium as well but in a different form. Guys/Gals, if you have the pain along with your constipation you need to try this as well as it works very quickly and is applied by simply rubbing onto the area of the body that troubles you.

Enter MAGNESIUM OIL.

I don't want to get too excited as I have only used it for 2 days but have experienced more relief from this than all the dietary/lifestyle/etc. changes I have made. It was after this that I researched online and lo & behold, us Americans, for the most part, do not get nearly as much magnesium daily as we should (something like 70-80% of us are deficient). Couple that with excess calcium that I consumed growing up that was never adequately used/metabolized due to lack of magnesium and I get the perpetual colon spasm. I am now hopeful that all I have to do is rebalance my calcium/magnesium levels. I am also going to be taking the Calm magnesium powder before bed every night but if you need fast relief from the discomfort and pain I HIGHLY recommend trying magnesium oil. Hell, get them both!

I forgot to mention that the effects seem to be compounding! Spasms continue to reduce each day.

• FinallyFree likes this

#12 FinallyFree

FinallyFree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:39 PM

Just wanted to provide an update from last year.

I still haven't discovered the underlying problem, however, I'm finding that a little bit of Linzess / Constella kickstarts everything back into action if things stop moving.

And I mean very little. You can actually carefully twist open a Linzess / Constella capsule to find little granules inside. Then I carefully put about 6 granules on my finger, lick it and that's it!

It seems like nothing but since I found an entire 145mg Linzess / Constella was too powerful, I decided to cut back a bit.

So almost a year later, I can personally vouch for the insane "thermonuclear" capabilities of Linzess / Constella.

Bottom line: if you have IBS-C and it's ruining your life, give Linzess / Constella and / or Magnesium CITRATE a try. If it ends up being too powerful, cut back on the dosage, even so far as breaking open a Linzess / Constella capsule and reducing the dosage even further.

I hope this helps someone find some relief!

#13 IBS-MIZAN

IBS-MIZAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:41 PM

Dear Finally free,
i have been suffering from ibs -c. . My problem same as same you.But some liquid and gas stay in my right side. i am sure that liquid just like mucus secretion and it stay in my right aide with gas in my abdomen. .i tried many medicine but did not work.did you suffer as secretion? .what can i do .i want to live.
FINALLY FREE,

#14 Nuffa

Nuffa

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 23 August 2015 - 06:15 AM

I am so happy that you got back to us. Thanks for the update. Also so happy that u still feel good!

#15 sparrow

sparrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:39 PM

Just wanted to provide an update from last year.

I still haven't discovered the underlying problem, however, I'm finding that a little bit of Linzess / Constella kickstarts everything back into action if things stop moving.

And I mean very little. You can actually carefully twist open a Linzess / Constella capsule to find little granules inside. Then I carefully put about 6 granules on my finger, lick it and that's it!

It seems like nothing but since I found an entire 145mg Linzess / Constella was too powerful, I decided to cut back a bit.

So almost a year later, I can personally vouch for the insane "thermonuclear" capabilities of Linzess / Constella.

Bottom line: if you have IBS-C and it's ruining your life, give Linzess / Constella and / or Magnesium CITRATE a try. If it ends up being too powerful, cut back on the dosage, even so far as breaking open a Linzess / Constella capsule and reducing the dosage even further.

I hope this helps someone find some relief!

I have Pure brand Magnesium Citrate capsules- 150 mg each.

How many caps would you recommend to treat IBS- C?

I'm not able to take the Linzess because of cost. With a discount it's over $300.00 for 30 pills. So I'm hoping the Mag Citrate will help.

I've been alternating taking Milk of Magnesia liquid & caplets every night for YEARS & YEARS. It's ok but it never really emptys me out and I gurgle all day long.

Thank you

#16 FinallyFree

FinallyFree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:31 AM

Just wanted to provide another update.

Why I am still managing the symptoms with Magnesium Citrate and / or Linzess / Constella, the underlying cause is still there.

I have found that a FODMAPS diet has helped a bit.

I have also done some CBT with the audio book How to Control Your Anxiety: Before it Controls You by Dr. Albert Ellis. It's an EPIC read / listen if you suffer from any kind of anxiety.

But the most exciting news is this forthcoming drug, which looks like it would be a cure (to me):

http://www.synthetic...ipeline/syn-010

I am going to be keeping a close eye on the development of this drug and will be first in line to try it!

• IBS-Cyndi likes this

#17 IBS-Cyndi

IBS-Cyndi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

Hi folks! This will be the first time I've posted in any thread here, as I've been reading through them all before jumping in.
I'd like to share with you some of my own recent treatment discoveries, which, so far, (crossing my fingers) has kept this demon called IBS-C, at bay for about 2 weeks now. And I've done so WITHOUT taking my Rx of Linzess! That's a biggie for me because I had been having debilitating flares every few days, even ON the Linzess! Plus, the Linzess was dehydrating me something awful.

I'm just going to dive right in to my list:

First of all, I drink at least a half gallon of purified, high alkaline water a day. I get it for $1.59/gal at my local health food store, but the brands Essentia and AquaHydrate are right up there with it.

I drink 1oz of aloe juice and 1 drop each of the essentials oils of lemongrass and clove, in 4oz of purified water EVERY morning.
I also take 4 Mag Citrate capsules and my high quality 250 billion bacteria probiotic along with that.

1 peppermint capsule before every meal or snack. (To relax the bowels.)

3 drops of 100mg CBD oil under my tongue every morning. (CBD has been said to alleviate IBS symptoms by half or more and boy do I believe it!)
I also add a vapable CBD oil to my vape pen. (About 20 drops of 100mg...my favorite is Creme Brule' because it's major sweet and I've had to cut out sugar due to my underlying cause of IBS, but I'll get to that at the end of this list.) I quit smoking and started vaping because cigarettes definitely don't help IBS.

1 chewable digestive enzyme pill after every meal or snack. (To break down food faster.)

I have also changed my diet somewhat, but not drastically. I switched to unsweetened original (not vanilla) almond milk because it tastes the most like my beloved but GONE 2% milk. (Cow's milk contributes to constipation.)
I also make sure I get 25-30mg of fiber every day (30-35 for men). I do that through taking a dose of Benefiber in my drink for every meal, eating fiber rich snacks such as fiber bars, pears, almonds, raspberries, and popcorn, which are all high in fiber. Yes I did say POPCORN. It is pretty high in fiber and I love me some popcorn! With grass-fed butter and sea salt of course! (Fake "butters", margarine and regular salt also contribute to IBS.)

I add a fiber rich veggie to every meal, such as broccoli, potatoes with skins, Brussels sprouts, okra, navy beans or kidney beans (but I take a gas pill (Phasyme) before any bean touches my tongue!)

Then I round it all out with 2 Tblsp of mineral oil before bed every night, chased with 4oz water. (It makes the lining of the bowel slippery.) Yes it's kinda gross to drink, but there's nothing grosser than being in such bad pain that you give yourself every kind of enema known to man or resort to gloving up and going after what refuses to come out! Yes, I have been to that point, as we probably all have.

Anyway, that's how I'm managing...quite nicely, I might add. And I feel great!

BUT, in researching to find out all of the above, I also figured out my own underlying cause for my IBS. Which I am seeing my primary Dr about this very morning.
A little back story first. I have also been battling a horrible and recurring case of athletes foot for a long time. I would treat it for days, and it would go away. But within 2 weeks it would recur. Same with scabs and sores in my nose. I found out that these are most likely related to my IBS, or more specifically, the Candida overgrowth that I more than likely have. There you have it...my underlying cause. Remember I said that I had cut out sugar? Well, sugar is Candida's "fuel" so to speak.
You see, I recently found out that low dose antibiotics kill off the good guys in your intestines and pave the way for the Candida, the bad guys, to take over.
So this morning I'm having my Dr order a Candida overgrowth lab test for me. If it comes back positive, I will be asking her to put me on Xifaxin and Diflucan to kill those nasty creatures. I will also up my prebiotic to 450 billion, to quickly build the good guys back up. I'm also going to ask for a antispasmodic just in case I have any flares through this process.
And FYI, this all came from the Mayo Clinic website. I found every symptom I have under "Candida overgrowth" on that wesite! Including that it is one of the causes of IBS.
So I'm encouraged that it is a possibility that with the right treatment, I may be able to say goodbye to IBS for good!
I'll keep yall posted. But for now, I have to poop! And from the feel of it, I'll be doing so glove free!! (Yay!!) Stick around...I may just throw a party afterward! (I know, that's sick, but hey, if we don't develop a sense of humor about this IBS monster, we'll just feel that much worse, right?)
Know that I am praying for relief for all of us. God bless!

#18 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

My stool test came back with candida overgrowth.

#19 IBS-Cyndi

IBS-Cyndi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

Ding ding ding! Behold, your (likely) root cause of IBS! Congrats because that is completely curable. Cut the sugar for awhile, get a killer (haha) probiotic and get your Doc to Rx you Xifaxin and either Diflucan or Nystatin. This is straight from the Mayo Clinic website. Good luck and God bless!
  • jaumeb likes this

#20 JulieK

JulieK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

Hi Everyone,

New user here.... Quick question, I've read numerous times that overuse of laxatives is bad, that your system becomes dependent on them and they can also start to lose their effectiveness.

Isn't Magnesium Citrate just another type of laxative?  I've also got C but am trying to avoid going down the laxative route.  Thanks!

• katesanch likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MAGNESIUM CITRATE, LINZESS, IBS-C, CONSTIPATION, GAS, FLATUENCE, BLOATING

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here