How I have CURED & CONQUERED my IBS-C after 21 years of suffering - Page 2 - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

How I have CURED & CONQUERED my IBS-C after 21 years of suffering

MAGNESIUM CITRATE LINZESS IBS-C CONSTIPATION GAS FLATUENCE BLOATING

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12225 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

Hi Julie

the liquid magnesium citrate that comes in a bottle is a laxative but the magnesium supplements (tablets or capsules --also available in a powdered form ) are not.

magnesium is a mineral that a lot of us are deficient in anyway.  Magnesium relaxes the muscles in the intestines which helps to establish a smoother rhythm and magnesium also helps soften the stool by attracting water to the colon which helps to make stools easier to pass.  so it does help a lot of people with C and it is not a laxative.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#22 JulieK

JulieK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

You're such a wealth of information, Annie! Thank you for the explanation, I'll be picking some up on my way home from work!

#23 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12225 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:12 PM

thanks--glad i could be helpful.  good luck with the magnesium citrate!  hope it helps.  if mag citrate doesn't work for you, try magnesium oxide.  some people find that more effective.  sometimes you have to experiment to find which type--and amount-- works best. 

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#24 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

Ding ding ding! Behold, your (likely) root cause of IBS! Congrats because that is completely curable. Cut the sugar for awhile, get a killer (haha) probiotic and get your Doc to Rx you Xifaxin and either Diflucan or Nystatin. This is straight from the Mayo Clinic website. Good luck and God bless!

Do you have a link? I stopped sugar back in 2009. I stopped fruit in 2015. I took nystatin in 2013.

#25 JulieK

JulieK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

I pored over the vitamin section last night, not immediately finding the magnesium citrate.  I was looking at other magnesium capsules and some has oxide as well as citrate combined with some other ingredient I couldn't remember.  I wondered if they'd be as effective.

Is there a better time of day than others to take these?  And I realize the original post was a combination of magnesium citrate and Linzess, is it possible I will find a difference without Linzess as I'm not taking that currently? 

Thanks in advance :)

#26 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12225 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

people vary as to what type of magnesium--and how much-- works best for them.  you could try the magnesium you saw in the store and if that doesn't work, try plain magnesium oxide and if that doesn't work try magnesium citrate. generally, mag oxide tends to be  more easily found in stores than mag citrate.  i bought my mag citrate online from puritan's pride. as Flossy mentioned above, he got his from  amazon.

from what i've read, some people get D when taking magnesium on an empty stomach so you might want to experiment with taking it with and without food to see what works best for you. 

and yes, taking magnesium with linzess would definitely give you different results than taking it without. 

#27 JulieK

JulieK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

I was able to find magnesium citrate after looking around, so that's what I grabbed.  I took one this morning with food so we'll see how that works out for a few days!  Thanks Annie.

#28 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12225 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

Good luck! Hope it helps. Keep us posted.  .☺

#29 IBS-Cyndi

IBS-Cyndi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:13 PM

JulieK, I saw my PCP yesterday and she limited my use of mag cit to no more than twice a week. So yes, that's likely why. She told me to get collagen supps, continue with aloe juice every day reduced me to 1 Tblsp of mineral oil before bed instead of 2 I'd been taking, and told me to keep my Linzess as backup even if I don't take it every day. I did all this last night and this morning, and lo and behold, I pooed my little heart out this morning and have felt great all day. Oh and she also told me to up my water intake to 1/2 my body weight in ounces. So I am to drink 75oz of water per day.

#30 IBS-Cyndi

IBS-Cyndi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

#31 AlisonfromSickofIBS

AlisonfromSickofIBS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for sharing this. I too have found magnesium to be a great help, though for me magnesium alone did not cure my IBS (an approach dealing with multiple factors finally did).

As I could not digest magnesium citrate, I found other natrual sources of magnesium which you can find here: https://sickofibs.co...king-you-tired/

Have a great day,

Alison

#32 JulieK

JulieK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

Cyndi, are you taking the liquid or the capsules?  I have to say, I took one yesterday and suffered with some unpleasant gas a few hours later (no other culprit at the time).  I'm trying to get rid of gas pain and bloating, not cause more.  Is this common for people and does taking it at night help that side effect?

Alison, does soaking in Epsom salts really allow you to absorb enough magnesium?  Seems much simpler and relaxing than having more digestive issues when taking something orally.

Thanks!

#33 IBS-Cyndi

IBS-Cyndi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

JulieK I'm sure you'll get some relief with just mag citrate, as it is a type of laxative in and of itself. I take mag cit capsules, and I take them in the morning.
For the gas I use GasX STRIPS. They deliver results much faster than capsules or tablets, and they have nothing added, so you can pop as many as you need to until gas is gone. A high fiber diet will cause gas, but of course, lots of fiber is what we IBS-C'ers need....Linzess also causes gas, but the GasX strips keep it at bay quite nicely.

#34 IBS-Cyndi

IBS-Cyndi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:21 PM

Also JulieK the digestive enzyme chewables I take after every meal, are the BOMB at keeping the bloating to a minimum.

#35 sparrow

sparrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

JulieK I'm sure you'll get some relief with just mag citrate, as it is a type of laxative in and of itself. I take mag cit capsules, and I take them in the morning.
For the gas I use GasX STRIPS. They deliver results much faster than capsules or tablets, and they have nothing added, so you can pop as many as you need to until gas is gone. A high fiber diet will cause gas, but of course, lots of fiber is what we IBS-C'ers need....Linzess also causes gas, but the GasX strips keep it at bay quite nicely.

I so disagree with your comment of 'but of course fiber is what IBS-C'ers need'

Many, many IBS-C people cannot tolerate a high fiber diet. This is the horrible problem we have. Pains associated with 'fiber' 

Then the constipation.

I'm not able to consume, as many IBS-Cers aren't, whole wheat, nuts, high fiber fruits, many vegetables especially raw. the list goes on.

When I do eat these things, I have to count out how much because after a certain amount I will be in severe pain.

#36 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

Hi Everyone,

New user here.... Quick question, I've read numerous times that overuse of laxatives is bad, that your system becomes dependent on them and they can also start to lose their effectiveness.

Isn't Magnesium Citrate just another type of laxative?  I've also got C but am trying to avoid going down the laxative route.  Thanks!

Yes, magnesium citrate is a saline laxative, at least according to this website:

http://www.webmd.com...citrate/details

As far as laxatives go I've been using Intestinal Formula # 1 for over two years now with no bad side effects. It's all herbal. (No magnesium in it either.)

P.S. The header of this post ("How I have CURED & CONQUERED my IBS-C after 21 years of suffering") is very much misleading. I dislike it when it recycles, but that's just me.

-Good luck!

#37 FinallyFree

FinallyFree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

May 13, 2017 update:

I discovered a dietician who has changed my life:

http://www.ibsnutrition.com

The key items I learned from her:

• By taking 2 Magnesium Citrate capsules (150mg x 2) every night, I am having a BM every morning!

Up to 450mg daily in capsule form is 100% safe and is not a traditional laxative. I have confirmed this with Audrey (the dietician) and my family doctor.

• You still need some fiber too, and straight from a dietician who specializes in IBS-C, the fiber you want is SOLUBLE (NOT INSOLUBLE). I get my fiber from Steel Cut Oats, white chia seeds and frozen blueberries every morning. YEAST-FREE sourdough bread is also a safe option.

• I have also been following the FODMAPs diet to a degree and have learned that the "Os" are the worst for IBS-C. Garlic, onion, wheat and yeast are our worst enemies! 

• High fructose corn syrup is also another trigger and can be found in pop and ketchup

Sorry if my initial title was misleading, I was so excited to find something that works, I had to share it with all of you. I have not cured my IBS-C but I am managing it very well.

Since taking 2 Magnesium Citrate capsules (150mg x 2) every night, eating the right SOLUBLE fiber and avoiding garlic, onion etc, I have not had to use Constella / Linaclotide at all.

The IBS Dietician, Audrey, lives in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada) but will use technology such as Skype or Facetime to reach out to anyone in the world. I highly recommend her!

#38 flossy

flossy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2145 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:02 PM

May 13, 2017 update:

I discovered a dietician who has changed my life:

http://www.ibsnutrition.com

The key items I learned from her:

• By taking 2 Magnesium Citrate capsules (150mg x 2) every night, I am having a BM every morning!

Up to 450mg daily in capsule form is 100% safe and is not a traditional laxative.

• You still need some fiber too, and straight from a dietician who specializes in IBS-C, the fiber you want is SOLUBLE (NOT INSOLUBLE). I get my fiber from Steel Cut Oats, white chia seeds and frozen blueberries every morning. YEAST-FREE sourdough bread is also a safe option.

• I have also been following the FODMAPs diet to a degree and have learned that the "Os" are the worst for IBS-C. Garlic, onion, wheat and yeast are our worst enemies!

Sorry if my initial title was misleading, I was so excited to find something that works, I had to share it with all of you. I have not cured my IBS-C but I am managing it very well.

Since taking 2 Magnesium Citrate capsules (150mg x 2) every night, eating the right SOLUBLE fiber and avoiding garlic, onion etc, I have not had to use Constella / Linaclotide at all.

The IBS Dietician, Audrey, lives in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada) but will use technology such as Skype or Facetime to reach out to anyone in the world. I highly recommend her!

That is good to hear, FF!

Odd that she tells you no garlic. I love garlic and Dr. Schultze even has garlic in his Intestinal Formula # 1. Plus I have soup with garlic in it and a lot of onions too, that I have every day. I think it definitely helps me go. I would even recommend it. To each his own, I guess?

#39 vincentatkins

vincentatkins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:04 AM

I am SO GLAD I found your post!!!  Thank you so much.  I will give these things a try.  I'm 42 and the same, been wasting away what should be the best years of my life because of crippling bowel pain, constipation, fatigue, brain fog, weight loss, anxiety and panic, inability to hardly function because of the pain.  I want to get well, not be suffering all the time, and get back to life!

#40 CranberryTea

CranberryTea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:01 PM

I'm kind of an expert (sort of) in magnesium and will share a few things.  If your IBS was managed by Magnesium, than your underlying problem was really a Mag. deficiency, which can be a very complex issue.  Very.  Magnesium does have a very profound and direct effect on the intestines, and on other aspects of digestion too.  If you have bowel trouble and haven't tried Mag. you certainly should.  That"s #1 on the first things to try list.  As far as forms go, if you tend to have low stomach acid, or have trouble digesting food than look for the citrate form.  But among Mag Citrate, there is one product that stands above them all in terms of absorbablity.  It is a product called Natural Calm.  You will absorb 100% of what you take of that product.  (It's Magnesium Citrate in powder form that you dissolve in water.)  This is not necessarily true of Mag Citrate in pill form.  Also, someone mentioned Magnesium oil, which is an amazing product.  It is Magnesium chloride, and you actually apply it to your skin, and you absorb it transdermally .  It works very well, and has the added benefit of largely bypassing you digestive tract, and thus doesn't really have such an immediate laxative affect.  You can also take Magnesium internally, and also apply the Magnesium oil topically  ... and get Magnesium into you through both routes.  From time to time, someone will 'up' their Magnesium levels and have a nearly miraculous response, as it looks like the original poster in this thread is experiencing.  Good for them.  For me, Magnesium actually did not cure me.  In fact, I found it too disruptive of my intestinal function, and caused me too become fatigued.  I now just use the Magnesium oil.  If you suffer from fatigue, do not take too much Magnesium, or you'll get more tired, as it will relax you too much.   If you are new to Magnesium, start with Natural Calm, as it is in a league of it's own in terms of absorbability.   Good Luck.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MAGNESIUM CITRATE, LINZESS, IBS-C, CONSTIPATION, GAS, FLATUENCE, BLOATING

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here