Constipation & Low Libido - IBS Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Constipation - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Constipation & Low Libido

constipation low libido laxatives IBS-C

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 balancedgrub

balancedgrub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:55 PM

Advertisement

Hi everyone, I feel quite embarrassed to post this but I want to know if anyone out there has experience with a low libido while suffering with IBS and chronic constipation.

I feel like it can't be just me. I know most of us think its the last activity you want to be doing while bloated and in pain but even on a good day, I just don't have much of a libido. I heard that long term laxative abuse can also be a culprit.

Sorry for bring up a risqué topic but I would like to know your thoughts.

blush.png

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12300 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:34 AM

oh please don't feel embarrassed or anything--really--we can discuss absolutely anything and everything here--nothing is too risque, TMI or taboo... :-)

as for me---i've never noticed my laxative use affecting my libido. when my laxatives work properly then i feel terrific...not bloated, not backed up and then my libido is great.

i can see that laxatives use could adversely affect libido, though, if one is using too many laxatives for their system and/or the laxatives cause dehydration or cause a nutrient deficiency (potassium etc) although i doubt if that's happening with you. it sounds like you have a very healthy diet.

you are so right though, about being constipated--if my laxatives don't work so well, then i'm backed up, bloated like there's a watermelon in there and in pain and well, of course that affects my libido--zilch..

maybe the stress of having IBS and chronic constipation, rectal hyposensitivity etc is affecting your libido. it is very stressful and exhausting having to deal with all this on a daily basis. maybe relaxation techniques, trying to get more rest or meditation would help?

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 ice cream

ice cream

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:27 AM

My constipation stems from pelvic floor disfunction which causes me to have intense pain during sex, this causing my libido to be rock bottom. Any connection for you?

#4 Dreamcatcher32

Dreamcatcher32

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

I'm also wondering if you have pelvic floor dysfunction. This has always caused my sex drive to be in the dumps. Though mine might (in part) be caused by Endometriosis. I know that with that condition, having an orgasm is extremely difficult. Most think pelvic floor dysfunction is a bogus diagnosis but it isn't and it is extremely debilitating for some. This is the reason I often couldn't or can't get an urge to have a BM or expel stool very well. (it also turns out I have thyroid problems, though) I would get it looked into. Though neither an anorectal manometry or defecography showed anything. I was diagnosed by Mayo Clinic's biofeedback nurses. They immediately spotted tension as well as paradoxical contractions. (you tighten your rectum versus relaxing it) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: constipation, low libido, laxatives, IBS-C

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here