Has anyone tried Linzess? - Constipation Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Has anyone tried Linzess?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jlk82

jlk82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:10 PM

Advertisement

I was recently diagnosed with IBS-C and have been on a High Fiber diet the past 3 weeks. The new diet has improved my constipation, however, I'm still not having the relief I should. My follow up with my GI is this coming Monday, he already said if the high fiber doesn't regulate me he will recommend medication. The medication he is going to recommend is Linzess.

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried Linzess and how has or hasn't it helped?

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10530 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:35 AM

there have been a lot of linzess threads over on the constipation board. that board tends to be more active than this one here.

here are some links; there are others as well.

http://www.ibsgroup....lotide-is-here/

http://www.ibsgroup....linzess-review/

http://www.ibsgroup....-about-linzess/

there have been success stories. some here and i've read quite a few success stories on another board i read. good luck. :-)

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 sherri

sherri

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

I have been taking linzess for a couple of weeks now. So far it has worked great. Within a couple hours of taking it you have to go to the bathroom and usually several  times throughout the day. I hope it continues to work this good. 

#4 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10530 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:15 PM

so glad it's working for you--that's wonderful!

and thanks for posting. so many times people only post when they have a negative experience with a medication. it's good to hear the success stories!!

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 jobal

jobal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:17 AM

I took Linzess and it did work for me.  It almost worked too well, but I was willing to deal with that until I started getting bad headaches.  I had to discontinue using it due to the headaches.

#6 hifiber

hifiber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:01 PM

welcome smile.png

i'm also taking linzess 290 pills and they work very well but I started with docusate sodium and miralax before getting on linzess

have you tried the non-prescription otc meds like miralax and docusate sodium yet ?

if linzess doesn't work what about amitiza ?

and I really like the metamucil drink additive it's easy to mix and tastes good

#7 babs59

babs59

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:53 AM

I took Amitiza and it worked for a while.then it quit.. going to gp on monday and asking for linzess

#8 Stephanie Kitelinger

Stephanie Kitelinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:02 AM

I was on linzess but stopped taking it. Changed my diet instead and going all natural. Linzess drained me. Felt like I was losing nutrients.. which I was. Taking laxative on a regular basis ( which you have to take while taking linzess) is not good for you. Your bowels become dependent and also makes it harder for your body to absorb  Vitamin D and calcium. There are people that cured their IBS and problems with diet, lifestyle change, and natural herbs. These are things most doctors don't tell you..

• Paula Jacunski likes this

#9 LuvTheLoo

LuvTheLoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:16 PM

I was recently diagnosed with IBS-C and have been on a High Fiber diet the past 3 weeks. The new diet has improved my constipation, however, I'm still not having the relief I should. My follow up with my GI is this coming Monday, he already said if the high fiber doesn't regulate me he will recommend medication. The medication he is going to recommend is Linzess.

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried Linzess and how has or hasn't it helped?

How often do you boo boo now? Whats your diet like now?

Vince

#10 steve1102

steve1102

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:38 PM

I have been on Amitiza for the past 2 years because my new Medicare Advantage plan wouldn't cover Linzess, which I had been on

for about 2 years for my IBS,(mostly due to using prescription narcotics). I have been experiencing some rather frequent

constipation over these past 2 years, because for me, Amitiza 24mcg. 2 x day does not work anywhere near as well as Linzess

145mcg. 1 x day. So, I have been needing to take Miralax, exlax, and sometimes magnesium citrate to assist the Amitiza with my

constipation. I just found out that my Medicare Advantage plan now, (FINALLY!) will cover Linzess. It's about time they woke up!!

I can't wait until I see my Dr. tomorrow and have him write me a prescription for Linzess. I understand that different meds work

differently for different people, but I am super-happy that my insurance FINALLY covers Linzess because it is super-expensive to

purchase without insurance. And for me, Linzess works excellently for my IBS-C due to Rx. narcotics.

#11 ibswholelife

ibswholelife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:29 PM

I just was Rex'd lizness 290 1x a day. No insurance. Don't qualify for Medicaid/are.
One month is waiting at pharmacy: $440! When doc said expensive I didn't know he meant this much!

#12 ibswholelife

ibswholelife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:30 PM

PS he gave me a sample and I think it's wonderful. Does anyone know how I can get it more cheaply?

#13 ibswholelife

ibswholelife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:43 PM

Final question: it's so expensive because we are paying the R&D in the beginning months. Does anyone know how long it takes for a price to go down of a new drug?

#14 joeyr2

joeyr2

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

I just was Rex'd lizness 290 1x a day. No insurance. Don't qualify for Medicaid/are.
One month is waiting at pharmacy: $440! When doc said expensive I didn't know he meant this much!

I dont know any way to get it cheaply.

Most people stop taking after a few weeks due to massive D, hopefully that doesnt happen to you, but be ready if it does. 

#15 ibswholelife

ibswholelife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:33 AM

If it did I'd merely slow down the dosing.

#16 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10530 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:57 AM

Hi ibswholelife

that's great that linzess works for you!  

i'm not really  sure if this will help you or not but just in case it does, linzess has a savings program . hopefully you'll qualify:

https://www.linzess....save-on-linzess

if this doesn't help, you can try shopping around for the cheapest price by checking sites like this one. some pharmacies are cheaper than others. i saved over $100.00 on a script by doing this:

https://www.goodrx.com/

hopefully you won't end up having too much D with linzess but if you do, here's a tip:  one of my gastro docs has done research and has run clinical trials on linzess.  he told me that linzess works on the same receptors that food does.  so generally, the closer you take it to eating a meal, the more diarrhea you get.   and conversely, the more time that elapses between taking linzess and eating, the less D you get.    it's all in experimenting and finding out what works best for you.

so if you start getting too much D try taking it an hour before breakfast instead of a  half hour before as prescribed.  you'll probably have less D that way.  some people take at even two hours before eating or at night, on an empty stomach, before they go to bed.

also, for those who get too much D with linzess:  a new, lower dose--72 mcg--has just been approved by the fda and should be available during the first quarter of this year.

good luck with everything. hope you can somehow manage to get linzess for a cheaper price.

#17 ibswholelife

ibswholelife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:43 PM

Thank you, annie7, for all that information. You know the first day I read the instructions wrong and took it after eating and felt pretty good. But today I took it on an empty stomach and was nauseous most of the day. Nevertheless so far it beats the alternative.

#18 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10530 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:20 AM

you can take it after eating if it works better for you that way and doesn't make you nauseous or give you too much D.  my gastro doc told me to experiment with when i took it to find the way that works best for me..  

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here