Rectal Prolapse Surgery - help! - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Rectal Prolapse Surgery - help!

prolapse surgery post-op

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jessicaw

jessicaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:23 PM

Advertisement

Last week I underwent a laparoscopic ventral rectopexy for a rectal prolapse that was related to my IBS. The surgery all happened really quickly and I was pretty much in the hospital a week after I was diagnosed.

Unfortunately, they gave me a button post-op that was green and had morphine and happiness in it and made all the pain go away happy.png  however, it means I have no memory of whether or not I was told what my diet was supposed to be, how I was supposed to exercise - pretty much all I remember is being discharged with a heap of pain medication and some Benefiber.

I really have no idea what I am supposed to be doing and its scary - I'm only 22 and I don't want to do something wrong and have to go through this all again. My post-op appointment is not for a while. Has anyone had this surgery before who can give me some ideas?

Thankyou!

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10528 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:27 PM

call your surgeon's office and ask. to me that seems the safest thing to do. after i had my bowel surgery (not a rectopexy) my surgeon told me to call anytime if i had any questions at all, leave a message with the nurse and they would get back to me same day with answers.

before i left the hospital, both the surgeon and the nurse talked to me about post op care and gave me a lot of paperwork on it, too, covering diet, execise etc.  was there any info like this included in your hospital discharge paperwork?

wishing you a quick and complete recovery. take care.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#3 postmortem

postmortem

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

definitely check in with the surgeon's office. they won't bite! it's understandable that you may have some questions or need some clarification.

i was just wondering what made them perform the procedure on you? was it an external prolapse? i've been asking about surgery for my prolapse, but doctors have been hesitant because my prolapse is internal.

#4 rewinj

rewinj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

Surgeons' advice always seems quite different. I had a rectopexy & sigmoid resection for a full prolpase.

After surgery, I was told I could eat anything, but to go a bit easy on the fiber. I was told to take Milk of Magnesia on any day which I did not have a bowel movement. My recovery was so-so, and I have unfortunately not regained good bowel function (my obstructed defecation has worsened), so I can't really recommend his advice. It seems some people are told high-fiber, others low-fiber. You definitely want to be passing stool regularly. I was told to avoid Miralax, but that seems like what is usually prescribed.

Sigh!

And to be honest, once I found out how helpful marijuana was for all the gut symptoms, I was quickly able to quit all the pain/anxiety meds I needed immediately post-op. And it definitely helps with the appetite, which is sooo important for healing.

Make sure you eat lots of protein & drink lots of water! Don't expect things to go "smoothly" for a while. Be proactive and call doctors or visit the hospital if you feel you need to.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prolapse, surgery, post-op

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here