Stop The Bloating In Lower GU - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Stop The Bloating In Lower GU

Psyllium

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 garak0410

garak0410

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:10 PM

Advertisement

Quick background...I had a colonoscopy when I was 37...found a few polypus and they removed...had a follow up at 39 and was ALL CLEAR. 44 now and haven't had another test though I am due for one (he said 4 more years, almost been 5.)

I've been on an off and on regimen of Benefiber and then they stopped making it for a short while. So, went to Psyllium for a while and never had a problem with it. Got out of the habit again and about 3-4 weeks ago, got back into the habit. That's when the boating and occasional queasiness started and frequent burping. Over the three weeks, I've tried Philips MOM, Pepto, Prune Juice, real prunes, Benefiber...not all at once mind you...last night, I tried two Gax-X's in the evening and started to fell much better and that continued until today when I had soup and crackers at lunch, took a single GAX-X and bam, bloating is back again...also had several cups of water after lunch too...

I have an appointment scheduled Monday (sooner if I can get in tomorrow) and hoping it isn't serious...don't know if it is IBS, stomach virus or what...side note, I do have a cold sore right now, a small boil, and I've battled sinus stuff for the last few weeks...

Also, seems to be more irritated when I set for long periods of time...if I stand up, walk, do things, feels much better...laying down also makes it feel better...

So, not so much looking for a diagnosis but really, RELIEF before my appointment...I am not really constipated but bowel movements have been lighter (usually go twice in mornings)...prune juice cleaned me out but didn't relieve the bloat...

Thanks...

#2 Krael

Krael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

Just out of curiosity, did your colon polyps cause severe constipation for a month or longer? I ask, because I haven't been diagnosed with IBS, but I am now having constipation for a month (slower than normal BM movements) and lots of bloating down there that's causing me to belch. I wonder if it's the same symptoms of a few polyps slowing things down.

#3 garak0410

garak0410

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

Funny you mention that...I had severe bleeding from BM's that lead to me making an appointment...I do remember SOME bloating before finding the polyps...the bleeding was internal hemorrhoids which I no longer have and totally unrelated to the polyps...

The bloat now is nothing like I had before...

#4 Krael

Krael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:49 PM

Oh, I almost forgot to give you some input on the belching.

As above, I'm bloated a lot now because of the constipation. I am belching all the time. Soon as I get up, I am belching lightly even before I eat lunch. Then it actually subsides a bit until my food starts moving down the digestive track. Then it starts up all over again until I sleep. I never belch when laying down. Only when I wake up and active.

This has been going on for me for the past month. Like you, I have been  taking all types of gas relieving pills including GAS-X and even activated charcole pills. These actually make you more constipated and as you likely know, activated charcole turns your stools almost black, which makes you think upper bleeding.

My GI doctor told me this is all because of being backed up even if you are using the bathroom. You mentioned not being able to empty all the way, which may be the same. You may be backed up and no gas pill is going to resolve that because the gas is not going out the bottom and thus, has to go out the top, your mouth.

What does help for me is stool softeners. This gets things moving down there, which relieves gas up there. Maybe the same may help you unless you think it's something else. Outside of that, I found standing up straight and lightly jumping up and down with your feet (almost shaking, not jumping like a crazy man) helps move things up and out. Almost similar to patting a baby on the back to get their gas out as a burp. For me, you can feel that gas come from the lower pit of my stomach up and out, which is likely due to the sluggish of your colon at the moment.

#5 garak0410

garak0410

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

Wow...crazy stuff huh? My wife is all freaking because A - I am late on my follow up colonoscopy and B - Never saw a doctor these past 3 weeks...I am sure it isnt' serious but quality of life is down the tubes...

I sure thought the prunes/prune juice would help...it for sure moved me but didn't stop the bloat.  

I'll try the straight jumping up and down...I have a private office so no one will see me...LOL

#6 Krael

Krael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

Hopefully it helps. It seems you and I are dealing with the same symptoms with belching. It just seems I'm a bit more backed up than you are. The question now, is what's backing us up. My GI wants to do a colonoscopy now because the constipation has not resolved in the past month. That's why i asked you about the polyps that you had removed because I wonder if that's what could be causing my belching.

But, I haven't had any consistent bleeding though, which I hope is a good sign. Regardless, it's being a pain for me. I don't even care about being backed up. Belching all the time and feeling bloated to the point of breathing issues or being able to eat is a pain in the rear.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Psyllium

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here