FDA Approves New Med "Movantik" for Opioid Induced Constipation - Constipation Prescription Medications - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

FDA Approves New Med "Movantik" for Opioid Induced Constipation

New Drug OIC Opioid Induced Conspitation New Medication

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AMKR

AMKR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:14 PM

Advertisement

Lately I've been dealing with (what I and my GP atm believe to be) idiopathic constipation (as well as a Candida infection I'm treating with Nystop (Nystatin in Talc). It's not infrequent enough to be occasional, yet not frequent enough (IMO) to be chronic. So just incase things got worse (and because pharmacology/organic & inorganic chemistry/biology is a hobby of mine) I've been looking into all the possible Rx and non-Rx solutions for Constipation. Propylethylene Glycol (Miralax), Ducosate (Colace), Biascodyl (Ducolax) and Probiotics (with Green Tea Complex/EGCG & Caffeine) have cleared up (only using Biasocdyl as a last resort, when its been over 4-5 days since a BM) any problems I've had.

I was relatively surprised at how few prescription solutions there are out there - the ones that seem to be the most effacious at giving relief, seem to also lean towards serious health problems (For example, Zelnorm). Even though this is a relatively new medication and was only recently approved, given the lack of choices one has when dealing with chronic conspitation (or IBS, etc.) I'm surprised to have seen little to no talk of it.

So here's to hoping I can provide some new information to bring up to your doctor if your not happy with your current regime (or it isn't providing you the relief you need without any serious side effects).

On of September 16th 2014 - the FDA approved a new medication for Opioid Induced Constipation (OIC) with non-cancer pain. It's called Movantik, generic name - Naloxegol ("PEGylated" Naloxol).

It's part of a new class of opioid antagonists - the peripherally acting opioid antagonists - meaning - drugs of this class will act to reduce the constipating side effects of Opiate, Opioid and Opioidergic medications without effecting their analgesia. So despite it being related to Nalaxone (Narcan) - it will not put you into withdrawal nor will it decrease the efficacy of the pain killing effects of your narcotic medication.

I had a lot more to post about the drug itself, how it worked, pubmed/medline links to peer reviewed medical studies and link to the official FDA website announcement but it seems no matter what I do I cannot get anything to copy and paste here. Dunno why that is - working elsewhere might wanna look into that (Mods/admins if you see this).

Hope that helps someone and that I'm not posting old news.
Much love.

-AMKR 

#2 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10530 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:10 AM

yes i've read about this med as well as Relistor , another opioid antagonist which has been out for awhile. i know people who take Relsitor for opioid induced constipation and they say it works. 

from what i've read and been told, the possible catch to  the opioid antagonists is their mechanism of action--they are designed to work against the constipation effects of opioids, acting as  an antagonist and blocking the effects of those analgesics, specifically the constipating effects on the gastrointestinal tract.  i've  read that because of this, they don't help with chronic constipation per se--just opioid induced constipation.  i've read posts from people who have did not have opioid induced C and they said Relistor did not help them because of this factor.

my gastro would not prescribe  relistor for me for that very reason--because i'm not on opioids and don't have opioid induced C. he said the same thing about movantik--he conducted  some clinical trials on this med so i respect his opinion.

so i think all that is why you haven't heard more talk about it. because it's not recommended for those of us who have chronic constipation and who are not on opioids and who do not have opioid induced constipation.

but hey--i have always said--anything is worth a try. so if you can get your doc to prescribe it for non-opioid induced C, then go for it!   hope it works for you

thanks for your post and let us know if you get to try it. 

(not sure why you're having problems posting links--sorry i can't help with that)

https://www.movantikhcp.com/

http://www.astrazene...ovantik-tablets

http://www.relistor.com/

and yes you're right. we DO need more meds that will help those of us with chronic constipation.  there are some in the pipeline. hope they come out soon.  i have been waiting and waiting for prucalopride (resolor) to be approved here in the usa. it's available in the UK, canada and many other countries but not here. i've read a lot of success stories from people who've tried it.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New Drug, OIC, Opioid Induced Conspitation, New Medication

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here