What do you think? New to IBS, but not sure! - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

What do you think? New to IBS, but not sure!

Pain Back Pain Left Side Pain Abdominal Pain Under Ribs Pain diarrhea

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sheldog

sheldog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:55 PM

Advertisement

So I'm new to IBS, 28 year old Male. Here is the short story, I began having bloating and abdominal pains and saw some blood in my stool. Freaked me out, after that the pain and bloating got worse, with Diarrhea incoming a lot. I went to a Gastro Doc who suggested I get a Colonoscopy because of my family history of Colon Cancer and polyps. Good thing I did, found precancerous polyps (what was causing the blood), but would not cause the pain. After getting my colon all cleaned up the pain still persisted, lower left abdominal pain, also pain in the left lower back, and under/behind my ribs. The pain isn't what I would call sever, just annoying more than anything, and it can go away for an hour or 30 min when my mind is preoccupied by something else.  The Gastro Doc said that it is IBS based on the pain location and occasional D (just about every other day), sometimes mucus in stool. 

Because of the constant pain, I told her that maybe a CT scan just to make sure there was nothing else. The CT of my pelvis and abdomen came back normal. My Doc told me that it is common for people with IBS to have constant pain in these area's

I've read through the posts on here, but as most IBS people know, you always seem to think it's something else :/

Does anyone else have these chronic symptoms like I have going on 4 months now?

I'm just really new to IBS. I didn't know IBS could be diagnosed at my age 28, but precancerous polyps are not common for 28 year old either ;)

Just saying, if your insurance will cover it, go get the colonoscopy done, it was a breeze and no doubt saved my life! 

Thanks for the responses!

#2 IBS is BS

IBS is BS

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:22 AM

Lower left abdominal pain, also pain in the left lower back, and under/behind my ribs. The pain isn't what I would call sever, just annoying more than anything, and it can go away for an hour or 30 min when my mind is preoccupied by something else.

Firstly I'd like to say: Congrats on finding and removing those polyps! I'm happy that you nipped it in the bud early!!! :D

Secondly: The above quoted text that you typed sounds EXACTLY like the pain people get from IBS. It was pretty much a perfect description of what I had for 4-5 years :)

#3 sheldog

sheldog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the comment, it is so weird. It will come and go sometimes in the same day, sometimes its a few days apart, but it's nice to know that someone else is having the same symptoms that I am having :) puts my mind at ease if only till the next time I post and need reassurance haha

Does yours go into your hip sometimes as well?

#4 IBS is BS

IBS is BS

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:06 PM

Well I don't have IBS anymore but yeah it did migrate around the abdominal/lower back region.

At one time I thought I was having lower back pain as a separate issue. I started cracking my spine, by twisting my upper body relative to my hips, to try and relieve the pain. That caused pain in itself after several days and so I went cold-turkey on the cracking and adopted the new theory that this was all IBS pain (which it was).

#5 Jesse1234

Jesse1234

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:19 AM

Hey IBS is BS. Just wondering if you did anything special to get rid of your IBS or if you follow a certain diet or anything?

#6 IBS is BS

IBS is BS

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:08 AM

Yes, it was a probiotic called Elixa.

A lot of people keep asking me this and, because I tried many probiotics in the past, I need to be very specific that it was THIS one that made all the difference. Ergo I need to use the brand name, which I am not a fan of doing online for objectivity reasons. I prefer to give a generic name and a reason, but I can't really do that in this case. And I'm a bit worried I may get done for spam! ohmy.png

If a mod is ok with it, I think I'll just write a brief review/thread about it on here so it's there with details about my results, timings and the whole logic behind why (i think) it worked so well, rather than having to keep parroting about it in any thread when the topic of probiotic arises.

#7 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:54 AM

IBS is BS - If it is something you actually used we don't have a problem with you specifying the brand.

Even if you sell it and you actually use it, it is OK to give the brand, just let people google and find a distributor on their own and don't feed them into your page so you and not any other sales person gets the money from that sale.

Usually the problem is when people are trying to pretend they don't sell it and you can tell they used a script about how to sell it to IBSers rather than being one of us. :)

sheldog - IBS symtpoms typically have to be chronic (lasting over 4-6 months) to be considered IBS.  Some people have daily issues, some have it a day or two a week or so.

IBS is generally diagnosed in adolescents and younger adults.  Onset after middle age is often a trigger for more testing as usually if you are going to get it, you got it fairly early in life (so more younger than 50 rather than older than 60 is the typical age it starts up).

FWIW it is pretty common for pain (or other annoying symptoms) to tend ot fade when the mind is occupied.  Your brain can only deal with so many things at a time so often you can crowd out mild to moderate symptoms.  Once pain gets severe enough it can take over and you can't focus the mind anywhere else.   I use that trick sometimes when getting a proceedure (especially dental as I tend to become unnumb faster than most people).  I give my brain something to focu on other than the pain.  For dental work I often focus on senations in my foot, where is my shoe a bit tight, what does my sock feel like, does one toe feel different than the next). 

• IBS is BS likes this
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#8 sheldog

sheldog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

Is it common for people 28-30 to become diagnosed with IBS? I've always had some D here and there, but never more than one time a day unless it I was sick with a stomach flu or something. This pain/ache is something new though, can't ever remember having it for this long.

Doc seems adamant that it is IBS, because of the clean CT scan and colon polyp cleanup.

#9 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34954 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

Generally it is diagnosed more in younger adults.  I'll see if I can find some stats.

http://www.webmd.com...who-at-risk-ibs

Age. IBS can affect people of all ages, but it is more likely to occur in people in their teens through their 40s. Studies estimate IBS affects 10% to 15% of the adult population.

My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#10 truedime

truedime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:40 PM

I was diagnosed with IBS years ago and have had issues since I was 17 yrs old. But, I have also been diagnosed with colitis twice, once which put me in the hospital for 4 days. The hospitalization was almost a year ago and it turned out that it was ischemic colits, which is a loss of blood flow to the intestines. I am confused because everything I read online states that IBS is a syndrome and doesn't cause any damage to your intestines. I can not find any information about IBS sufferers having colitis. So, I'm thinking that maybe I actually have something else. Would love to hear if anyone else has ever had colitis with their IBS. My gastro Dr is considering doing another colonoscopy and a vessel study of some sort. My symptoms have gotten so much worse over the past few years and I am missing so much work. I desperately need answers.

#11 Bonnie blue

Bonnie blue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:54 PM

It have had IBS for a few years but never had the cramping that I am experiencing now. Had knee replacement surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago. Three weeks out started having severe cramping in lower abdomen that generates to back. Ended up in ER where a CT scan was done--inconclusive. Had a colonoscopy and no one has given any suggestions for pain except Miralax and high fiber foods. Tried antispasmotics--no help. Allergic to opiates. . I am looking for suggestions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pain, Back Pain, Left Side Pain, Abdominal Pain, Under Ribs Pain, diarrhea

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here