Soluble Fiber (SO-CALLED A FIBER "LAXATIVE" IS NOT) are for IBS-D, IBS-C and IBS-A - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Soluble Fiber (SO-CALLED A FIBER "LAXATIVE" IS NOT) are for IBS-D, IBS-C and IBS-A

soluble fiber methylcellulose acacia fiber laxatives prevention regulation prebiotic probiotic enteric coated

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 minimalizer

minimalizer

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:53 PM

Advertisement

Regular laxatives do nothing but draw water into the colon, and weakens the muscles of the colon like habitually using enemas. Soluble fiber (so-called laxative too) paradoxically can be used for diarrhea or constipation-REGULATING. "All soluble only fiber" methylcellulose in Citrucel or generic Equate (Walmart) caplets are very convenient and have gotten great reviews on Amazon;Company says should not create gas;Its not fermentable;My doctor said using it is fine for my IBS-D ongoingly. No sugar or artificial sugar like the powder. Fiber is also very important for diabetes or hypoglycemia preventing blood sugar swings and in helping preventing colon cancer as well. I'm presently using methylcellulose soluble fiber in my ibs regimen 1g (2 caplets) 6X/day with 1/2C water before each small slowly eaten meal and then at nite. Later on after building up good bacteria (enteric coated probiotics-non-dairy preferably);also slowly build up pure natural all soluble acacia fiber powder-low fermenting "prEbiotic that can feed" your good bifido bacteria further in the colon (not like highly gassy inulin/chicory or FOS). It can add soluble fiber to highly insoluble ratio foods or recipes;It doesn't stimulate and spasm the colon either like insoluble fiber supplements or highly insoluble foods. It regulates, filling the colon weighting food through like methylcellulose. You want to encourage well formed stools. No doctor ever told me any of this;Go to http://helpforibs.com for info on how and what to eat which is just as important. IBS started very occasionally and just mildly painful when I was in college and got extremely worse and then caused upper GI track horrible heartburn as well. Your body is telling you something is wrong. None of the information I just gave for free wapds ever suggested to me by any doctor over the last 30 years! NO quick fixes for IBS;You PREVENT IBS. Update: You could try a higher amount of methylcellulose fiber, like 2g at the beginning of the day  and then 1g before ea of the other meals and snacks and before bedtime if that works better. One guy on the other forum/ibs-d here does a higher beginning dose compared to his rest of the day doses, for a very long time now, claiming it's been a miracle cure for his ibs-d;He's taking the powder that to me has either the unwanted reg. sugar or the artificial sugars. Be sure to have a diagnosis for yourself first PLEASE.

1/04/18: Pain's my main problem. IBS-D prone, but not with methylcellulose soluble non-gassy caplets still, 2 before anything eaten.  Also, 10C water/day (Have to if taking fiber supplement and soluble foods). Frequent, small and well chewed meals. No more salads, seeds or peel, whole grains, raw vegetables STILL. Have used in the past antispasmotics, low dose tricyclic anti-depressent (for ibs and inflammation)/both VERY drying even at low amounts and disorienting, CBD oil and IBgard's encapsulated peppermint (works better than older type enteric peppermint). Have occasional inflammation in illium at end of small intestine, but it was not crohns. Activated charcoal when needed for flatulence, simethicone only works on upper stomach area for upper gas (burping) right away btw, not flatulence at end of g.i. track. Tried Kratom, good but itchy and didn't prevent a flare up from eating a wrong foods. Raising dosage didn't kick down inflammation. Now back to being certified for (legally available here) medical high CBD Cannabis/Marijuana RSO (thick oil form), more expensive. I needed more anti-inflammitory help from the THC in regular cannabis oil, instead of just CBD oil.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: soluble fiber, methylcellulose, acacia, fiber, laxatives, prevention, regulation, prebiotic, probiotic, enteric coated

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here