Probiotics good or bad? helps LG or makes it worse? - General Discussion - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

Probiotics good or bad? helps LG or makes it worse?

Leaky gas probiotics ibs-c bacteria gas flatulence

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 seahorse

seahorse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:14 AM

Advertisement

so I have a lot of LG and it's constant, trying loads of supplements but none really help.

months ago I was taking probiotics (10million) but it seemed like is was making the LG even worse.

I now have a bottle of 50 billion probiotics. should I start taking them see what happens?

Ive read so many things im confused as to what is helpful and not.

do you have to take probiotics consistently for a while to see any results? or does it really just make the gas worse?

#2 Noodles87

Noodles87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:41 AM

Probiotics can have a beginning period of worsening of symptoms (usually 3-10 days) but if it's worse longer than they are not helping you.

Most probiotics do say to try for at least a month before making a decision as to whether they worked, as the improvement can be slow.

#3 marleyma

marleyma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:37 AM

Ive been drinking kefir (about 8-16 oz a day) and it has helped alot!

#4 seahorse

seahorse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:10 AM

thanks I guess I'll try the probiotics for 2 weeks and see how it goes.

marleyma - ive heard good things about kefir! unfortunately im diary intolerant, do you know of any non diary kefir sort of things if they exist?

#5 SheLikesCats

SheLikesCats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:15 PM

You can try coconut water kefir, I believe it is sold at select health food stores and starter packs are available online. The one thing I will say about probiotics is that while they help many, people typically need to try a lot of different types and brands to find the ones that work for them. I used to tolerate lactose free Kefir (not anymore). I tried Align which a lot of people have success with, nothing changed. Tried expensive refrigerated brands, nothing changed. Tried PB8 and FloraStor then finally success! Probiotics help me but they do not put me into remission, they just seem to regulate me a bit.

I am a strong advocate for research - if in doubt seek a second physician opinion or research scholarly articles and bring them to your doctor. Continue to educate yourself, educate your doctor, and educate your law makers. Never stop seeking solutions - knowledge is a powerful tool.

#6 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:38 AM

Tried PB8 and FloraStor then finally success! Probiotics help me but they do not put me into remission, they just seem to regulate me a bit.

Did you take them together? For how long? Are you still taking them?

#7 SheLikesCats

SheLikesCats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:15 PM

I do take them together but not every day. I have IBS-A that tends to go more towards bloating and constipation. FloraStor works miracles for my diarrhea but if I take it every day it makes me a bit constipated. I take it when I am having diarrhea attacks, otherwise I take it every couple of days to negate the constipating effect it can have on me. PB8 seems to make me a bit less bloated, I've also noticed that I don't get sick (knock on wood) while taking it. Everyone else around me has the flu or colds, whereas I'm just sitting here... fine and dandy. So my regimen is:

Nightly: PB8 on empty stomach before bed

Every Couple Nights: FloraStor on empty stomach before bed

• AIRPLANE likes this

I am a strong advocate for research - if in doubt seek a second physician opinion or research scholarly articles and bring them to your doctor. Continue to educate yourself, educate your doctor, and educate your law makers. Never stop seeking solutions - knowledge is a powerful tool.

#8 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:25 AM

Thanks SheLikesCats for the details. I have been taking Boulardii for two months (different brand) and I am taking it twice a day. I've never been constipated, though.

The reason I asked you was that I was afraid that adding another probiotic would cancel the effect of Boulardii. In my imagination the different probiotics were competing with each other and killing each other.

#9 seahorse

seahorse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:31 PM

cheers SheLikesCats ^_^ . think after ive done a week of the 50billion probiotic im taking, im gonna try get lactose free kefir. i'll see how it goes then report back on here.

#10 SheLikesCats

SheLikesCats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:19 PM

S. Boulardii is a yeast, the other strains I take are bacteria. Some strains can compete with one another, but generally S. Boulardii is ok to take with other probiotics from my understanding.

#11 jaumeb

jaumeb

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:27 AM

S. Boulardii is a yeast, the other strains I take are bacteria. Some strains can compete with one another, but generally S. Boulardii is ok to take with other probiotics from my understanding.

Thanks for the clarification ...

#12 kpat

kpat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:55 PM

cheers SheLikesCats ^_^ . think after ive done a week of the 50billion probiotic im taking, im gonna try get lactose free kefir. i'll see how it goes then report back on here.

Let us know! I've tried kefir quite a bit but sparingly. I want to get grains and make it a regular thing. Was thinking regular milk kefir but also about water kefir or coconut milk kefir. Would be good to hear of your experience. I've heard many people reversing their symptoms after weeks to months of drinking kefir regularly.

#13 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9529 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:34 PM

i've been drinking 8 oz of kefir daily for about six weeks now. i think it has helped a bit with the bloating and gas.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#14 marleyma

marleyma

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

Same here, Annie. One day i added maybe 4oz though and had horrible diarrhea immediately after which i never get. I think its definitely important to not overdue too much of a good thing!

#15 annie7

annie7

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9529 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:51 PM

(..........hmmm...my problem is chronic C.  i'm one of those people who welcome D.....maybe I should try that lol...)

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#16 VintageNick

VintageNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:22 PM

If you have very bad permeability issues they can cross over into the blood and cause an immune reaction. In my case they cause huge issues.

#17 tummyrumbles

tummyrumbles

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:56 PM

For most of us if we're carbohydrate malabsorbers I don't know how probiotics would help. Most of the damage has already been done. Most carbs are digested in the small intestine mainly through enzymes and usually there's only a small portion of carbs that escape digestion and move intact to the colon, foods like like resistant starch and FODMAPs for example. This board has been around since 2000 and you would think that there would be quite a few posts claiming success with probiotics if these worked long term but I haven't found any credible success stories yet. I've done general google searches as well and nothing really comes up. My understanding is the probiotics finish the job but they're not the primary agents for digestion, which is done mainly in the stomach for proteins and small intestine for carbs. They're fairly cheap to buy though and probably not all that harmful to try.

My Wordpress blog: http://ibsnaturalcure.wordpress.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Leaky gas, probiotics, ibs-c, bacteria, gas, flatulence

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here